Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
703 views

Old versions and activation

Hello, I'm not sure if I have to take this somewhere else but I'm hoping somebody here can answer. I have several copies of Netware that were donated to my daughters school. I've been told that all versions are no longer in use to to upgrades. I have one copy of 2.2/50 user, one copy 3.12 upgrade 50 user, one copy of 4.2/5 user and two copies of 5.1 upgrade both 10 user. It is a catholic school so I'm trying to see if I can sell these on the bay to bring them some money. Is there any way to verify authorizations and such. I'm not versed in the nuances of Novell so I'm not sure where I need to look. I appreciate any help. Thanks for your time.
Rick
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Old versions and activation

Hi Ryz,

Check out http://www.novell.com/company/legal/copyrights/software.html
regarding license transfers. The part you are interested in is:

"If you are seeking permission to donate or transfer software product,
software licenses, or hardware loaded with Novell software to another
party, you may do so by calling the Novell Customer Service Response Center
at 1-888-321-4272 to receive written permission."

That said, the 2.2 you should probably donate to a museum. 🙂

--
Kim
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Old versions and activation

Well, if these versions were upgraded, then you certainly no longer have
the rights to use them and even less to sell them.
Besdies, Novell is very picky about the conditions under which they allow
license transfers though those conditions may very depending on the local
legislation of the country were you reside.

In any case, you should directly ask Novell about this. Ypou might check
the following web page for contact information.

http://www.novell.com/company/legal/copyrights/software.html

--
Marcel Cox
http://forums.novell.com
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Old versions and activation

Rick,

Officially, the transfer of used software requires authorization from
Novell. New software does not require such authorization.

According to the rules in place four years ago (which may have changed, I
suppose), third parties cannot be involved (i.e. eBay) in the transfer. A
letter is required from each party to the transfer, stating that all copies
of the software are being transferred, the new owner name and address, and
stating agreement to the Novell terms of transfer and the software license.
There is a Novell department which handles such transfers, though I do not
have that information handy at this time.

I was able to arrange the transfer of a 250-user license from one Catholic
school to another in this way.

Unofficially, of course, one regularly sees sales of used Netware on eBay.

-Bob Carroll


"Ryz" <Ryz@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:Ryz.351cwn@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Hello, I'm not sure if I have to take this somewhere else but I'm hoping
> somebody here can answer. I have several copies of Netware that were
> donated to my daughters school. I've been told that all versions are no
> longer in use to to upgrades. I have one copy of 2.2/50 user, one copy
> 3.12 upgrade 50 user, one copy of 4.2/5 user and two copies of 5.1
> upgrade both 10 user. It is a catholic school so I'm trying to see if I
> can sell these on the bay to bring them some money. Is there any way to
> verify authorizations and such. I'm not versed in the nuances of Novell
> so I'm not sure where I need to look. I appreciate any help. Thanks for
> your time.
> Rick
>
>
> --
> Ryz
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Ryz's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=6346
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=312366
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Old versions and activation

I suppose that the 2.2 was the qualifying software for the 3.12 upgrade...

Anybody still remember "VAP"s?



"kgroneman" <kgroneman@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:1409808.ASdtH2vFLO@GrasshopperHerder...
> Hi Ryz,
>
> Check out http://www.novell.com/company/legal/copyrights/software.html
> regarding license transfers. The part you are interested in is:
>
> "If you are seeking permission to donate or transfer software product,
> software licenses, or hardware loaded with Novell software to another
> party, you may do so by calling the Novell Customer Service Response

Center
> at 1-888-321-4272 to receive written permission."
>
> That said, the 2.2 you should probably donate to a museum. 🙂
>
> --
> Kim



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Old versions and activation

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:09:48 +0000, Wallgames.com wrote:

> Anybody still remember "VAP"s?


You bet. First version was 2.15 (FCS, not rev a or c).

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Old versions and activation

Value Added Process.... Printserver VAP
"Wallgames.com" <bob@NOSPAMPLEASEwallgames.com> wrote in message
news:w3Euj.2497$Ec7.1346@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>I suppose that the 2.2 was the qualifying software for the 3.12 upgrade...
>
> Anybody still remember "VAP"s?
>
>
>
> "kgroneman" <kgroneman@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
> news:1409808.ASdtH2vFLO@GrasshopperHerder...
>> Hi Ryz,
>>
>> Check out http://www.novell.com/company/legal/copyrights/software.html
>> regarding license transfers. The part you are interested in is:
>>
>> "If you are seeking permission to donate or transfer software product,
>> software licenses, or hardware loaded with Novell software to another
>> party, you may do so by calling the Novell Customer Service Response

> Center
>> at 1-888-321-4272 to receive written permission."
>>
>> That said, the 2.2 you should probably donate to a museum. 🙂
>>
>> --
>> Kim

>
>



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.