Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2625 views

Phone opinions

I'm considering switching from AT&T because I've had a lot of problems
with dropped calls, and I want to move to an android-based phone.

What I hear from people I work with is that Verizon has pretty good
coverage and generally dropped calls are an exception rather than
something we come to expect.

As I've looked at phones, I've come down to two: The HTC Legend (if/when
it becomes available in the US) or the Droid X (which is available
through Verizon).

I'm leaning towards the Droid X (largely because of the higher colour
depth and the 3G wifi hotspot capability - always good to have a backup
for 'net connectivity).

Anyone got one and willing to share likes/dislikes? What I'm looking to
do is buy a phone that's going to last me at least 2 years and gets me
off AT&T.

The only thing that's got me hesitating is the base plan price - I just
got my AT&T bill down to about $70/month, and Verizon is a little more
expensive with the unlimited data plan and lowest minute rate plan (450,
but I tend to use the phone for data more than voice anyways - does
Verizon roll minutes over like AT&T?). Wondering if I'm missing an
option there. SMS isn't a big issue for me since I have Google Voice and
can receive messages on that number.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
Labels (1)
0 Likes
62 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

Jim Henderson wrote:

> As I've looked at phones, I've come down to two: The HTC Legend
> (if/when it becomes available in the US) or the Droid X (which is
> available through Verizon).
>
> I'm leaning towards the Droid X (largely because of the higher colour
> depth and the 3G wifi hotspot capability - always good to have a
> backup for 'net connectivity).


HTC Desire HD (which is due out very soon), I'm running a HTC Desire at
the moment and it is the first phone that I have actually been geekily
interested in since Nokia killed the Communicator line (9500 being the
last IMO).

I'll probably be ordering the HTC Desire HD within the next week or two.

Droid-X, if you're planning on using that to do your work email you may
want to have a look in the Datasync Forum.
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

Jim Henderson wrote:

> or the Droid X (which is
> available through Verizon).


Bleagh... after having to deal with multiple Android devices, I'm
definitely not a Moto fan. Try basic functionality not working... like
not being able to use ActiveSync unless the server requires SSL,
defaulting to a 1969 date when the date isn't present in the MIME data
sent to the device, etc. Only seen these issues with Moto.

> I'm leaning towards the Droid X (largely because of the higher colour
> depth and the 3G wifi hotspot capability - always good to have a
> backup for 'net connectivity).


I think most of the newer Android devices give you the hotspot
capability. My Incredible has it, just took the Froyo upgrade to
enable it. Honestly my recommendation after having messed with four
different Android devices offered by Verizon (HTC Incredible, Samsung
Fascinate, Moto Droid 2, Moto Droid X) I'd recommend the Incredible.
The Incredible pretty much "just works."

> The only thing that's got me hesitating is the base plan price - I
> just got my AT&T bill down to about $70/month, and Verizon is a
> little more expensive with the unlimited data plan and lowest minute
> rate plan (450, but I tend to use the phone for data more than voice
> anyways - does Verizon roll minutes over like AT&T?). Wondering if
> I'm missing an option there. SMS isn't a big issue for me since I
> have Google Voice and can receive messages on that number.


No they don't rollover. VZW tends to be a bit expensive unfortunately.
Not sure if it'd be any cheaper but you could look into their prepaid
plans. Looks like the X and Incredible are both available with prepaid.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:51:40 +0000, Scott A. Campbell wrote:

> HTC Desire HD (which is due out very soon), I'm running a HTC Desire at
> the moment and it is the first phone that I have actually been geekily
> interested in since Nokia killed the Communicator line (9500 being the
> last IMO).
>
> I'll probably be ordering the HTC Desire HD within the next week or two.
>
> Droid-X, if you're planning on using that to do your work email you may
> want to have a look in the Datasync Forum.


Thanks, the Desire was one that I had considered as well - not really
planning to sync mail, probably just use the browser + webaccess for that
(which I do today from my Nook eReader as well).

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

I use Verizon and I'm pretty happy with the service. Especially
considering I live in a more rural area. I don't have a problem with
dropped calls and data transfer is good. I have the HTC Incredible and
I like it.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:09:30 +0000, Joseph Marton wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> or the Droid X (which is
>> available through Verizon).

>
> Bleagh... after having to deal with multiple Android devices, I'm
> definitely not a Moto fan. Try basic functionality not working... like
> not being able to use ActiveSync unless the server requires SSL,
> defaulting to a 1969 date when the date isn't present in the MIME data
> sent to the device, etc. Only seen these issues with Moto.


Interesting, if/when I talk to a VZW rep, I'll ask about that.
ActiveSync not a big issue for me, though = I'm not a Windows user. 🙂

>> I'm leaning towards the Droid X (largely because of the higher colour
>> depth and the 3G wifi hotspot capability - always good to have a backup
>> for 'net connectivity).

>
> I think most of the newer Android devices give you the hotspot
> capability. My Incredible has it, just took the Froyo upgrade to enable
> it. Honestly my recommendation after having messed with four different
> Android devices offered by Verizon (HTC Incredible, Samsung Fascinate,
> Moto Droid 2, Moto Droid X) I'd recommend the Incredible. The Incredible
> pretty much "just works."


That's good feedback, thanks. I'll take another look at the Incredible.

>> The only thing that's got me hesitating is the base plan price - I just
>> got my AT&T bill down to about $70/month, and Verizon is a little more
>> expensive with the unlimited data plan and lowest minute rate plan
>> (450, but I tend to use the phone for data more than voice anyways -
>> does Verizon roll minutes over like AT&T?). Wondering if I'm missing
>> an option there. SMS isn't a big issue for me since I have Google
>> Voice and can receive messages on that number.

>
> No they don't rollover. VZW tends to be a bit expensive unfortunately.
> Not sure if it'd be any cheaper but you could look into their prepaid
> plans. Looks like the X and Incredible are both available with prepaid.


They all really are quite expensive compared to what some of our friends
overseas pay. I really dislike the contract requirement and it seems to
get really expensive when you add a data plan into the picture. Thing
that *really* surprised me was that through the Costco website, the plans
were actually *more* expensive (and didn't include the unlimited plan
that's on the VZW site).

Rollover isn't a huge deal for me as I don't normally use even 450 a
month, so I usually have more rollover expiring than not. My wife's on
Verizon as well, so calls to her mobile would be free anyways.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

You have dropped calls with ATT? That's weird.


"Jim Henderson" <Jim.Henderson@SysOps.NSC> wrote in message
news:le2to.68742$N74.31715@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> I'm considering switching from AT&T because I've had a lot of problems
> with dropped calls, and I want to move to an android-based phone.
>
> What I hear from people I work with is that Verizon has pretty good
> coverage and generally dropped calls are an exception rather than
> something we come to expect.
>
> As I've looked at phones, I've come down to two: The HTC Legend (if/when
> it becomes available in the US) or the Droid X (which is available
> through Verizon).
>
> I'm leaning towards the Droid X (largely because of the higher colour
> depth and the 3G wifi hotspot capability - always good to have a backup
> for 'net connectivity).
>
> Anyone got one and willing to share likes/dislikes? What I'm looking to
> do is buy a phone that's going to last me at least 2 years and gets me
> off AT&T.
>
> The only thing that's got me hesitating is the base plan price - I just
> got my AT&T bill down to about $70/month, and Verizon is a little more
> expensive with the unlimited data plan and lowest minute rate plan (450,
> but I tend to use the phone for data more than voice anyways - does
> Verizon roll minutes over like AT&T?). Wondering if I'm missing an
> option there. SMS isn't a big issue for me since I have Google Voice and
> can receive messages on that number.
>
> Jim
> --
> Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
> Novell Technical Training



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:26:11 +0000, Matthew wrote:

> I use Verizon and I'm pretty happy with the service. Especially
> considering I live in a more rural area. I don't have a problem with
> dropped calls and data transfer is good. I have the HTC Incredible and
> I like it.


Thanks, that's two votes for the Incredible. Definitely will look at
second time. I have to say my first instinct was HTC in general because
of the OLED screens and the remote management options; I then saw that
the Droid has the remote management options through an app in the
marketplace, so that evened it up. The Droid seemed to have higher
resolution and colour depth, though, but maybe I wasn't comparing to the
Incredible.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:34:27 +0000, Craig wrote:

> You have dropped calls with ATT? That's weird.


Sadly not in Utah. The coverage along the I-15 corridor is spotty at
several points.

The irony is that AT&T is who I use now because my phone was originally
paid for by Novell, and AT&T is the 'partner' company they work with in
the US. I took over paying for the account about a year ago (since I was
using it more for personal stuff and didn't have a need for a company-
paid phone).

Jim

--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

Jim Henderson wrote:

> Interesting, if/when I talk to a VZW rep, I'll ask about that.


Good luck... all throughout the mess, until Moto finally issued a patch
to fix it, VZW generally didn't even know the issue existed.

> ActiveSync not a big issue for me, though = I'm not a Windows user.


But if you plan on syncing with Mobility it'll be a big issue. 🙂

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:47:48 +0000, Joseph Marton wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Interesting, if/when I talk to a VZW rep, I'll ask about that.

>
> Good luck... all throughout the mess, until Moto finally issued a patch
> to fix it, VZW generally didn't even know the issue existed.


Ah, yes, I had forgotten that reps are generally useless when it comes to
technical matters. Shows how long it's been. 😉

So the issue then is fixed?

>> ActiveSync not a big issue for me, though = I'm not a Windows user.

>
> But if you plan on syncing with Mobility it'll be a big issue. 🙂


I probably won't, but hard to say for certain.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

Craig wrote:

> You have dropped calls with ATT? That's weird.


I use ATT and I can te
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

<GRYN>........


"Chris Cox" <cjcox@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:ga5to.68835$N74.31945@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Craig wrote:
>
>> You have dropped calls with ATT? That's weird.

>
> I use ATT and I can te


0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On 10/12/2010 3:42 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

> The Droid seemed to have higher
> resolution and colour depth, though, but maybe I wasn't comparing to the
> Incredible.


Maybe I just saw a bum X, but when I put the X side-by-side with the
Incredible the X just appeared to have a grainier display. I definitely
thought the display on the Incredible was much clearer. However, forget
about using the Incredible in the sun.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

Not in SF either...being as we are the heart of the technical universe, and
home to ATT park, you'd think we'd have a little bit of coverage, but
alas..........


"Jim Henderson" <Jim.Henderson@SysOps.NSC> wrote in message
news:WM3to.68828$N74.55543@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:34:27 +0000, Craig wrote:
>
>> You have dropped calls with ATT? That's weird.

>
> Sadly not in Utah. The coverage along the I-15 corridor is spotty at
> several points.
>
> The irony is that AT&T is who I use now because my phone was originally
> paid for by Novell, and AT&T is the 'partner' company they work with in
> the US. I took over paying for the account about a year ago (since I was
> using it more for personal stuff and didn't have a need for a company-
> paid phone).
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
> Novell Technical Training



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.