jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

Matthew wrote:

> Mine works fine in the sun.


It's not like I have a vampire phone that melts in the sun. It
continues to run and work fine. The display is just incredibly
difficult to see, even with the brightness turned all the way up. This
is a known issue with the AMOLED used in the Incredible. So unless you
happen to have one of the newer ones where HTC switched to SLCD, it's
going to be very difficult to use in bright daylight.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On 10/13/10 8:55 AM, Joseph Marton wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
>> All android phones require you to have gmail or google apps account.

>
> You don't have to have one. You just can't use the Market without one.
>


I don't remember it letting me not have one, but considering I have
three I probably didn't even try to get around it. 😛
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On 10/13/10 8:58 AM, Joseph Marton wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
>> Mine works fine in the sun.

>
> It's not like I have a vampire phone that melts in the sun. It
> continues to run and work fine. The display is just incredibly
> difficult to see, even with the brightness turned all the way up. This
> is a known issue with the AMOLED used in the Incredible. So unless you
> happen to have one of the newer ones where HTC switched to SLCD, it's
> going to be very difficult to use in bright daylight.
>



LMAO. You have a vampire phone. XD

Mine was one of the original Incredibles. It's not as bright as bright
as my blackberry was, but I don't have any problems reading it in the
sun. The exception being when the screen is dirty. I say that because
when it has the skin oil on it I get sun reflection from the oil and it
makes it very hard to read. I don't remember having that problem with
my blackberry, but once I wipe the screen off it's very readable in the sun.
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

Matthew wrote:

> I don't remember it letting me not have one, but considering I have
> three I probably didn't even try to get around it. 😛


Yeah during the initial setup wizard you tap either skip or cancel on
the Google Account piece to bypass it. Only thing is that when you try
to go to the Market you get prompted to set one up again.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

The new Android phones are all good, I switched from being Blackberry user
for the last 10 years to a EVO and I LOVE it!

For carrier, Verizon is usually good in coverage but such varies depending
on were you are, all the carriers have a 30 return option.

For the cost you can't beat Sprint and in most cases if you have good
Verizon coverage, Sprint coverage will be about the same since they use the
same CDMA towers and have roaming agreements with each other, another
possiblity is US Cellular which I have heard good things from.

Of course the common rumor, speculation is that Verizon will have the iPhone
by Christmas but hate the iPhone with a passion due to email support issue,
Apple needs to provide a better phone management program other than a MP3
(iTunes) music player.


"Jim Henderson" <Jim.Henderson@SysOps.NSC> wrote in message
news:le2to.68742$N74.31715@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> I'm considering switching from AT&T because I've had a lot of problems
> with dropped calls, and I want to move to an android-based phone.
>
> What I hear from people I work with is that Verizon has pretty good
> coverage and generally dropped calls are an exception rather than
> something we come to expect.
>
> As I've looked at phones, I've come down to two: The HTC Legend (if/when
> it becomes available in the US) or the Droid X (which is available
> through Verizon).
>
> I'm leaning towards the Droid X (largely because of the higher colour
> depth and the 3G wifi hotspot capability - always good to have a backup
> for 'net connectivity).
>
> Anyone got one and willing to share likes/dislikes? What I'm looking to
> do is buy a phone that's going to last me at least 2 years and gets me
> off AT&T.
>
> The only thing that's got me hesitating is the base plan price - I just
> got my AT&T bill down to about $70/month, and Verizon is a little more
> expensive with the unlimited data plan and lowest minute rate plan (450,
> but I tend to use the phone for data more than voice anyways - does
> Verizon roll minutes over like AT&T?). Wondering if I'm missing an
> option there. SMS isn't a big issue for me since I have Google Voice and
> can receive messages on that number.
>
> Jim
> --
> Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
> Novell Technical Training



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On 10/12/2010 10:01 PM, Adam Gabriel wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 00:19:38 GMT, Joseph Marton
> <jmarton@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>> Maybe I just saw a bum X, but when I put the X side-by-side with

> the
>> Incredible the X just appeared to have a grainier display.

>
> My X has a great screen. Didn't notice much difference from the
> Incredible. I hate the Moto software, their activesync client, the eFuse
> killswitch, and the speaker placement on it. I love the android OS and
> its touchscreen and speed though. I would recomend any HTC phone. I've
> had a few and loved them all. If your choice is between the X and the
> incredible I would go with the Incredible. But if you can wait, Verizon
> will have LTE 4G (well, 3.9G) deployed in larger markets by december,
> and im assuming a phone to run on it. LTE looks very cool.


They are spending a couple bucks on the build out. They just completed
installing fiber (some of it miles of fiber) to all of the cell sites in
my region for the LTE system.

I think the big tossup on LTE is if they will stay true to form on data
usage. It isn't much good if you have a super fast network with a small
bandwidth cap and highly punitive overage charges.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:56:34 +0000, Joseph Marton wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> So the issue then is fixed?

>
> Yes, it was finally fixed with the update to Froyo on the X. Took Mot
> quite a while to get that out.


Interesting, thanks. After seeing it and comparing the interfaces (and
the sizes), I opted for the Incredible. Just waiting for delivery
now. 🙂

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:48:55 +0000, Matthew wrote:

> Some things to remember...
>
> All android phones require you to have gmail or google apps account.
> What ever gmail account you use to setup the phone on is the only
> account you will be able to use the calendar on. E-mail and contacts
> will work across multiple accounts.
>
> Of course if you don't use google apps or gmail for calendaring then
> this won't particularly be a problem as third party apps exist for
> exchange and other groupware apps.
>
> I had to reset my phone because I set it up with my personal gmail
> account but needed to sync my work's google apps calendar. Just a heads
> up.
>
> The other thing to remember is download the 'advanced app killer'. It is
> handy for killing all those apps that are annoying. Don't kill apps
> that automatically restart though. Just waste battery power.
>
> And my last thing. If the phone comes with version 2.1 on it I would
> recommend updating to 2.2 as soon as possible. Battery life is loads
> better.


All good points. Already have a Google account, so that's not a problem,
but interesting on the multiple accounts thing, I'll keep that in mind,
because I may want to sync my GW calendar down to it.

Good tip on the advanced app killer as well - I have one of those for my
Nook eReader (also based on Android) and I find it comes in very useful.

New phones are coming with 2.2 so that's not a problem. 🙂

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:51:50 +0000, Joseph Marton wrote:

> On 10/12/2010 10:17 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Interesting, I wonder why the guy in the store didn't say anything
>> about that. Probably because he wouldn't get as big a commission if we
>> didn't pay "full price" in store. As it happens, he got $0 commission.

>
> I don't know what store you went to, but I've never heard of a new VZW
> customer paying full price for a phone unless they weren't signing a
> contract. As long as you do at least a one year contract you get a
> subsidized price, and if you sign a two year then you get the cheapest
> subsidized price which is what they normally advertise, typically $299.
> Then there's the $100 rebate which last time I did (for my wife on an
> upgrade just a couple of months ago) I had to still send in paperwork.
> Only took 2-3 weeks to get the rebate card, though.
>
> Nice thing about the store I went to... they allowed me to charge $100
> of the phone cost to the account, paid the rest that day. Then by the
> time the bill came with the $100 charge I had the rebate card so I just
> went into the store to pay that bill. Used the rebate card towards the
> bill, and then wrote a check for the remainder which amounted to the
> normal monthly cost.
>
> No matter what, though, I'm really curious why they were trying to
> charge you full retail. Sounds like they were scamming you.


Well, it wasn't full retail (which I think is $500 or so per phone) - it
was a VZW store, though. But to me, a rebate is money I can bank, not a
"here's some money you can spend". The way CostCo handled waiving the
activation fee was an actual rebate (they'll send me the money).
Interesting idea, though, using the rebate card to pay the bill in-store,
I hadn't thought about that.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:58:56 +0000, Joseph Marton wrote:

> Matthew wrote:
>
>> Mine works fine in the sun.

>
> It's not like I have a vampire phone that melts in the sun. It
> continues to run and work fine. The display is just incredibly
> difficult to see, even with the brightness turned all the way up. This
> is a known issue with the AMOLED used in the Incredible. So unless you
> happen to have one of the newer ones where HTC switched to SLCD, it's
> going to be very difficult to use in bright daylight.


Interesting, I didn't realize it uses AMOLED for the display, the guy at
CostCo wasn't sure if it was TFT or not, but he thought it was that
rather than AMOLED. The "demo" phone he had was one of the dummy phones,
and he owns an X.

That's cool, I actually wanted the AMOLED display.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On 10/13/10 9:16 AM, Joseph Marton wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
>> I don't remember it letting me not have one, but considering I have
>> three I probably didn't even try to get around it. 😛

>
> Yeah during the initial setup wizard you tap either skip or cancel on
> the Google Account piece to bypass it. Only thing is that when you try
> to go to the Market you get prompted to set one up again.
>


Well, I guess you don't really get out of it if you want all those
games.. <cough> business apps. 😛
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:24:09 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:58:56 +0000, Joseph Marton wrote:
>
>> Matthew wrote:
>>
>>> Mine works fine in the sun.

>>
>> It's not like I have a vampire phone that melts in the sun. It
>> continues to run and work fine. The display is just incredibly
>> difficult to see, even with the brightness turned all the way up. This
>> is a known issue with the AMOLED used in the Incredible. So unless you
>> happen to have one of the newer ones where HTC switched to SLCD, it's
>> going to be very difficult to use in bright daylight.

>
> Interesting, I didn't realize it uses AMOLED for the display, the guy at
> CostCo wasn't sure if it was TFT or not, but he thought it was that
> rather than AMOLED. The "demo" phone he had was one of the dummy
> phones, and he owns an X.
>
> That's cool, I actually wanted the AMOLED display.


Or the new SLCD which is probably what it is, now that I reread what you
actually wrote.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

Jim Henderson wrote:

> Interesting, I didn't realize it uses AMOLED for the display, the guy
> at CostCo wasn't sure if it was TFT or not, but he thought it was
> that rather than AMOLED.


From what I read this morning at Engadget, the Incredible you get may
actually use SLCD instead of AMOLED.

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On 10/13/10 11:20 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> All good points. Already have a Google account, so that's not a problem,
> but interesting on the multiple accounts thing, I'll keep that in mind,
> because I may want to sync my GW calendar down to it.
>
> Good tip on the advanced app killer as well - I have one of those for my
> Nook eReader (also based on Android) and I find it comes in very useful.
>
> New phones are coming with 2.2 so that's not a problem. 🙂
>
> Jim


I don't know how it works with syncing with accounts other than google
accounts. I know I've seen add-ons for exchange that doesn't have the
one calendar problem. I think that's only a problem when you are trying
to sync multiple gmail accounts.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Phone opinions

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:47:19 +0000, Michael Rae wrote:

> The new Android phones are all good, I switched from being Blackberry
> user for the last 10 years to a EVO and I LOVE it!
>
> For carrier, Verizon is usually good in coverage but such varies
> depending on were you are, all the carriers have a 30 return option.
>
> For the cost you can't beat Sprint and in most cases if you have good
> Verizon coverage, Sprint coverage will be about the same since they use
> the same CDMA towers and have roaming agreements with each other,
> another possiblity is US Cellular which I have heard good things from.


I'm really looking forward to it - good to know about the others. For
coverage questions, I talked to people in the office and by and large,
those who pay for their own have Verizon and don't have problems. Those
who have AT&T rarely have anything good to say about the coverage.

> Of course the common rumor, speculation is that Verizon will have the
> iPhone by Christmas but hate the iPhone with a passion due to email
> support issue, Apple needs to provide a better phone management program
> other than a MP3 (iTunes) music player.


I'll never buy an iPhone - just on principle. I prefer an open platform,
and I absolutely detest the way Apple treats their iOS developer
community. Similar reasons why I never will own a Windows Mobile device.

There's a certain irony for the iPhone having a "lightsaber" app - now
there's the ultimate "open" platform (the lightsaber, hand crafted by
each Jedi) and ironically it's on one of the platforms that exerts the
tightest controls over what devs can/can't do.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Technical Training
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.