Highlighted
mathew35 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So is the company HPE going forward? What about Novell now??

Still trying to not call it Novell, and that's not sitting well with me...... but now it isn't going to be Micro Focus either?

I doubt HP is going to allow the HP part be renamed Micro Focus..... and HPE shareholders are getting 50.1% of the shares in the merged company.
So Micro Focus as a brand is dead right???

To be honest, HPE is a much stronger brand name (and sounds better anyway).
What will this mean for Novell? With that many new products being absorbed, I hope the Novell part is strengthened.
That they are making SUSE a really big deal is fantastic. A little trickle down budget funding please.

And give us the Novell branding back..... or slap HP on it. No need to force this Micro Focus brand on us anymore.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
ScorpionSting Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: So is the company HPE going forward? What about Novell n

The merger is only to do with the SUSE component of the Micro Focus group....so the legacy NetIQ/Novell/etc products will remain "untouched"....SUSE has always been its own product set and was never really a "Novell" or "Attachmate" product, they had a certain level of autonomy....

Visit my Website for links to Cool Solution articles.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

From Nils Brauckmann, Chief Executive Officer, SUSE

I want to take this opportunity to emphasize three key points:

• Continuity. The SUSE leadership team, business strategy and goals all remain unchanged and completely focused on continuing the rapid growth of the SUSE business in conjunction with our large and diverse partner ecosystem.

• Commitment. We continue to be fully focused and committed to our strategy of partnering and collaborating openly with you to provide best-of-breed solutions for all customers worldwide.

• Investment. We are now even better positioned to continue increasing our investment and expansion of the SUSE business and the partnerships that are so critical to our ongoing growth and success.

This is exciting and positive news because this partnership will provide us with even more opportunity to expand our business and partnership together. I eagerly look forward to our mutual growth and success.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

And key points from Stephen Murdoch, Chief Executive Officer, Micro Focus

The proposed Merger is entirely consistent with the Micro Focus growth strategy, and brings additional depth and breadth to the value we can offer on a global basis. Also, at the same time, Micro Focus and HPE announced their intent to enter into a commercial partnership naming SUSE as HPE's preferred Linux partner as well as exploring additional collaboration leveraging SUSE's OpenStack expertise for joint innovation around HPE's Helion Openstack and Stackato Platform-as-a-Service solutions.

0 Likes
mathew35 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey ScorpionSting,

Yeah I was going off the headlines when the story broke..... I agree SUSE will be untouched. Actually SUSE got the best part of the deal since HPE will make SUSE the standard.
The real question is: What happens to the formerly core products (NetIQ/Novell/etc)?
The part I'm not clear on is HPE is divesting it's "non-core" software business, which would normally would be selling off a unit.... however, they are merging with Micro Focus not selling to Micro Focus.... and the HPE group is getting 50.1% of the new company.
The HPE side will have the majority of shares, not Micro Focus.... so Micro Focus has been acquired plain and simple. The flip side is the Micro Focus chair will be running the new company, but the control will be the HP majority board.
Does the Micro Focus brand get killed off? Or will they keep the name and turn it into "HP-lite"?
The software library HPE is bringing to the table dwarfs the Micro Focus library, some of which compliments the Micro Focus products but there is some serious overlap. NetIQ seems like it'll get gutted to me.... way too much overlap in product.

Attachmate gutted Novell and put products where they didn't belong. Micro Focus hasn't owned the property long enough to move everything around..... they just got started slapping their brand name on Novell stuff.
Now it's all changed again. I hope they rename to HP Enterprise Software or something like that. I can ask 20 I.T. people "who is Micro Focus" and none of them will know. Ask 20 I.T. people who HP is and all of them know. It was a stupid idea to rebrand Novell (IMO).
It's a fascinating development. Micro Focus was intent on being the leading provider of niche software, and now it is. It may have sold itself to do it, but it did succeed.
Now if we can get Novell back I'll be a happy camper......
0 Likes
mathew35 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ScorpionSting;2438662 wrote:
The merger is only to do with the SUSE component of the Micro Focus group....so the legacy NetIQ/Novell/etc products will remain "untouched"....SUSE has always been its own product set and was never really a "Novell" or "Attachmate" product, they had a certain level of autonomy....

It's for everything, not just SUSE.
SUSE is the crown jewel of Micro Focus.... that's what HPE wanted most.
I'm reading the brief on HPE's website now, and it states that HPE gets to put a senior HP exec on the board, and also nominate 50% of all directors. Micro Focus is finished.
Also looking at the "non-core" assets they are transferring to the combined company will ravage NetIQ.
Lucky for us, there's no overlap with OES or GW.... so they should be fine (assuming they will want anything to do with those).
The assets are all about Big Data (good for SUSE), security (goodbye NetIQ), App Delivery (good for SUSE), IT operation management (good for SUSE, bad for NetIQ), and information management (bad for NetIQ).
Maybe it's a good thing Attachmate screwed up and put all those Novell products with NetIQ..... they'll take the brunt of the changes.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Well, it won't be till late next year before we find out if this goes ahead and what the affect *might* be....

These are large corporates, they will not drop products that have a strong customer base, it would be corporate suicide. Those products that are not strong selling/renewal ones (Groupwise actually springs to mind) might end up being discontinued in the long run (5+ years). Remember back in about 2006/2007 when HP dropped their IDM development and gave their in progress contracts to Novell? What goes around, comes around....

As for the Novell brand, it would depend on where in the world you are. For the APAC region, Novell had seriously damaged its name with customers (not the products, but the account/sales management)...a rebrand was required to bring a fresh start to some good products (although Micro Focus have still been extremely poor with regards to this aspect in this region - we can live in hope that HP would inject some fresh excitement and "customer love" that has long been overdue).

HPE is also only a small part of the HP group, so I doubt all the Micro Focus products would end up being rebranded under the HP banner any time soon...

But, its all speculation at the moment, the merger hasn't been confirmed yet.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

The wording at the start of this article seems to suggest that HPE will loose its name to Micro Focus....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hp-enterprise-plans-8-8-billion-software-deal-with-micro-focus-1473279596

0 Likes
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: So is the company HPE going forward? What about Novell now??

Officially, Micro Focus bought HPE Software and the resultant entity
will go forward as Micro Focus. Well, it will be that way once all
the regulatory stuff happens which, given how long it took for the
TAG/MF merger to happen, might make it final around this time next year
(just a wild, uneducated guess).

When TAG merged with Micro Focus, planning teams were put in place
immediately and started making integration plans as soon as it was
announced. However, nothing could be officially started until all the
regulators were happy and the official go ahead was received. It
seems like that was about one year or so after the announcement. I'm
just assuming it will work similarly this time.

--
Kim - 9/12/2016 11:27:26 AM
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.