mathew35 Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2855 views

State of IT - your thoughts...

I was testing the other day at my fav testing place - and I noticed.....

THIS PLACE IS DEAD!

Seriously, no one testing, very few people taking computer classes....
I dug around and noticed most computer training places in my city have folded.

I asked the girl at the front desk, "how many cert tests do you guys perform any more?". She replied "not too many, maybe a couple a week".

Now I realize this isn't the late 90's when IT was the flavor of the week, but without us the world would crumble (no I don't have the "IT God complex").

Are we just not "hip" anymore, or are we just taken for granted?
Sure we took a huge hit by the "I can make big money in computers" people, but haven't us die hard, bore and bred info people recovered our industry from that yet?

I guess I've been holed away working on my network so long, that looking up from my keyboard is a bit of a shock. I think I'll go back to typing 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Likes
64 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

There's something to be said for what Douglas Adams wrote about
technology once....

"Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary
and is just a natural part of the way the world works. Anything that's
invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting
and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it. Anything
invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

I think we're hitting the point where technology and communications are
so ubiquitous in the western world that the younger generation(s) have
hit the point of it being "just a natural part of the way the world
works" - not "new and exciting and revolutionary", so not as appealing
from a career standpoint.

Jim


--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

Jim Henderson <Jim.Henderson@SysOps.NSC> wrote in news:Xys_j.1429$6C2.509
@kovat.provo.novell.com:

> I think we're hitting the point where technology and communications are
> so ubiquitous in the western world that the younger generation(s) have
> hit the point of it being "just a natural part of the way the world
> works" - not "new and exciting and revolutionary", so not as appealing
> from a career standpoint.
>


OR we are gurus.

I prefer to consider myself wise in the ways.
Time to stop helping for peanuts.

Actually I may have a nitpic about it:
When I have to help people who are IT to install TCP/IP RAW printer drivers
and they select all the defaults, am I actually teaching them anything?
Do they know the difference between the "Advanced tab" the "General tab"
when it comes to shared point and print drivers? Why do they think they can
staple without a finisher? Who pays for this lesson?

--
Ciao, Dave
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

> Are we just not "hip" anymore, or are we just taken for granted?
> Sure we took a huge hit by the "I can make big money in computers"
> people, but haven't us die hard, bore and bred info people recovered
> our industry from that yet?


The good part about these groups bailing out of the field is we can
start getting paid without being compared to so and so's brothers
friend that would does a similar gig for x dollars less than you
already make.....

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Volunteer Sysop
"Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others gargle"
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

I can't speak for anybody else, but where I live IT jobs don't pay well.
If you want to make money in the computer world around here you have
to be a programmer. Coding is where the money is and it's still all hip
and cool. Most people look at us IT people as expendable.



mathew35 wrote:
> I was testing the other day at my fav testing place - and I
> noticed.....
>
> THIS PLACE IS DEAD!
>
> Seriously, no one testing, very few people taking computer classes....
> I dug around and noticed most computer training places in my city have
> folded.
>
> I asked the girl at the front desk, "how many cert tests do you guys
> perform any more?". She replied "not too many, maybe a couple a week".
>
> Now I realize this isn't the late 90's when IT was the flavor of the
> week, but without us the world would crumble (no I don't have the "IT
> God complex").
>
> Are we just not "hip" anymore, or are we just taken for granted?
> Sure we took a huge hit by the "I can make big money in computers"
> people, but haven't us die hard, bore and bred info people recovered
> our industry from that yet?
>
> I guess I've been holed away working on my network so long, that
> looking up from my keyboard is a bit of a shock. I think I'll go back
> to typing 🙂
>
>



--
Matthew - The Great System Tyrant
--------------------------------------
http://www.mattography.net/
http://www.matthewdgood.com/
http://www.systemtyrant.com/
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:04:42 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

> Jim Henderson <Jim.Henderson@SysOps.NSC> wrote in
> news:Xys_j.1429$6C2.509 @kovat.provo.novell.com:
>
>> I think we're hitting the point where technology and communications are
>> so ubiquitous in the western world that the younger generation(s) have
>> hit the point of it being "just a natural part of the way the world
>> works" - not "new and exciting and revolutionary", so not as appealing
>> from a career standpoint.
>>
>>

> OR we are gurus.


Well, I was talking about new entrants to the workforce. 🙂

> I prefer to consider myself wise in the ways. Time to stop helping for
> peanuts.


I hear ya there...

> Actually I may have a nitpic about it:
> When I have to help people who are IT to install TCP/IP RAW printer
> drivers and they select all the defaults, am I actually teaching them
> anything? Do they know the difference between the "Advanced tab" the
> "General tab" when it comes to shared point and print drivers? Why do
> they think they can staple without a finisher? Who pays for this lesson?


People often don't think as much as they should.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

Well, we are about to hire a new IT consultant. Our clients are quite
grateful we are around. I am about to help bossman line up the
requirements. I really got to make sure we get someone to take some of
my load off my shoulders so I can start concentrating on the other
responsibilities I need to cover.

We may not pay as well as a comercial venture, we have outstanding
bennies.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Volunteer Sysop
"Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others gargle"
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

The testing centre I go to is always full of under 25 year olds either taking courses or doing the tests for the courses once their time in the course has finished.

When planning to book an exam, I have always had ring up and make sure I can get in on my preferred days because of the amount of testing they do.

That being said, they are also the testing centre thats furthest west of Sydney.

And who ever said IT wasn't hip? Who do they call at work when their computer doesnt work? The IT Guys.

If anything its one of the most thankless jobs.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

dwiseman2 wrote:
> Dave Wiseman,

MCSE/CNA/CNE/CNS/SRM + Workgroup Specialist

I was going to say "at least everyone doesn't still have their
"initials" stuck to their sigs"....

but I guess I'll just say, "hi".
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

I think you'll find most of those wanting to "enter" the industry have gone
back to college, and those out here who've been doing it for years with no
college but lots of certs are back at college again. As California has
known for decades, it's not just about the technology, you have to
understand the business processes and needs in addition and how IT fits in.


We're down to one local training/testing center and the UAW folks who were
paid to retrain (on MY dime!) have figured out that IT isn't unionized and
they're no interested in putting in the work or effort necessary to stay in
the field.

Our local center is now offering rooms for rent in their facility.

>>> On 5/26/2008 at 1:36 AM, in message

<mathew35.3a05xz@no-mx.forums.novell.com>,
mathew35<mathew35@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> I was testing the other day at my fav testing place - and Inoticed.....
>
> THIS PLACE IS DEAD!
>
> Seriously, no one testing, very few people taking computer classes....
> I dug around and noticed most computer training places in my city
> havefolded.
>
> I asked the girl at the front desk, "how many cert tests do you
> guysperform any more?". She replied "not too many, maybe a couple a
> week".
>
> Now I realize this isn't the late 90's when IT was the flavor of
> theweek, but without us the world would crumble (no I don't have the
> "ITGod complex").
>
> Are we just not "hip" anymore, or are we just taken for granted?
> Sure we took a huge hit by the "I can make big money in
> computers"people, but haven't us die hard, bore and bred info people
> recoveredour industry from that yet?
>
> I guess I've been holed away working on my network so long, thatlooking
> up from my keyboard is a bit of a shock. I think I'll go backto typing
> :)--

mathew35-------------------------------------------------------------------
-----mathew35's Profile:
> http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5153View this thread:
> http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=329974

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

Guess it's time for me to return to the programming world then. 🙂

>>> On 5/26/2008 at 1:39 PM, in message

<uBC_j.1553$6C2.1334@kovat.provo.novell.com>,
Matthew<"system[remove]tyrant"@g[ee]mail.com> wrote:
> I can't speak for anybody else, but where I live IT jobs don't pay well.


>
> If you want to make money in the computer world around here you have
> to be a programmer. Coding is where the money is and it's still all
> hip
> and cool. Most people look at us IT people as expendable.
>
>
>
> mathew35 wrote:
>> I was testing the other day at my fav testing place - and I
>> noticed.....
>>
>> THIS PLACE IS DEAD!
>>
>> Seriously, no one testing, very few people taking computer classes....
>> I dug around and noticed most computer training places in my city have
>> folded.
>>
>> I asked the girl at the front desk, "how many cert tests do you guys
>> perform any more?". She replied "not too many, maybe a couple a week".
>>
>> Now I realize this isn't the late 90's when IT was the flavor of the
>> week, but without us the world would crumble (no I don't have the "IT
>> God complex").
>>
>> Are we just not "hip" anymore, or are we just taken for granted?
>> Sure we took a huge hit by the "I can make big money in computers"
>> people, but haven't us die hard, bore and bred info people recovered
>> our industry from that yet?
>>
>> I guess I've been holed away working on my network so long, that
>> looking up from my keyboard is a bit of a shock. I think I'll go back
>> to typing 🙂
>>
>>

>

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: State of IT - your thoughts...

According to one Gen-Xer, the role of a help desk person is one of the
"least" stressful jobs. I figured she's young, never been an help desk
person, and pulled the article out of her *imagination*.

>>> On 5/27/2008 at 12:56 AM, in message

<dwiseman2.3a1yrb@no-mx.forums.novell.com>,
dwiseman2<dwiseman2@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
> The testing centre I go to is always full of under 25 year olds
> eithertaking courses or doing the tests for the courses once their time
> inthe course has finished.When planning to book an exam, I have always
> had ring up and make sureI can get in on my preferred days because of
> the amount of testing theydo.That being said, they are also the testing
> centre thats furthest westof Sydney.And who ever said IT wasn't hip? Who


> do they call at work when theircomputer doesnt work? The IT Guys.If
> anything its one of the most thankless jobs.-- Dave Wiseman,
> MCSE/CNA/CNE/CNS/SRM + Workgroup Specialist
> Sydney, NSW,

Australia------------------------------------------------------------------
------dwiseman2's Profile:
> http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14607View this thread:
> http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=329974

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.