Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
944 views

Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

I noticed they advertise they have an open source cloud for private
networking.

About am month ago, I began rsearching moving our email system to cloud
computing due to bosses directive. I am still unclear of what Ubuntu's
private cloud is. How would that be different that my lan?

Has any one else looked into this type of private cloud?

Thanks


Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
adrockk Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

Jason wrote:

> I noticed they advertise they have an open source cloud for private
> networking.
>
> About am month ago, I began rsearching moving our email system to
> cloud computing due to bosses directive. I am still unclear of what
> Ubuntu's private cloud is. How would that be different that my lan?
>
> Has any one else looked into this type of private cloud?
>
> Thanks


Heard some buzz about it from a neighboring school district that is
doing it. From what I gather, it sounds like a glorification of
centralized/virtualized apps and VPN.

0 Likes
adrockk Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

Adam Gabriel wrote:

> Heard some buzz about it


by "It" I mean a "private cloud"

0 Likes
buckesfeld Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

Jason,

you set up and configure your cloud controller and the appliances, these
services/servers will run in Canonical's "Landscape" infrastructure then.
They charge you for Landscape use.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC

HTH
Uwe
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

> Adam Gabriel wrote:
>
>> Heard some buzz about it

>
> by "It" I mean a "private cloud"


I'm guessing the glory of it is no hardware and facilities management,
coupled with presumed redundancy. The only limiter I see is if your
internet access goes down.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

And the fact that your data/info resides on someone else's hardware,
completely out of your control for either security or confidentiality......
<G>


"GofBorg" <GofBorg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote in message
news:DQ1vn.17804$yE3.14709@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> Adam Gabriel wrote:
>>
>>> Heard some buzz about it

>>
>> by "It" I mean a "private cloud"

>
> I'm guessing the glory of it is no hardware and facilities management,
> coupled with presumed redundancy. The only limiter I see is if your
> internet access goes down.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

On 4/7/2010 12:42 PM, Brent Wolfe wrote:
> And the fact that your data/info resides on someone else's hardware,
> completely out of your control for either security or confidentiality......
> <G>
>
>
>

You don't trust the angels? Surely if we put our data in "the cloud" the
angels are always there to protect it?

I wonder how well "the cloud" would sell if they used the actual "store
your data on someone else's system" description?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

I like to keep my data in a storm (more than one cloud)

Brent Wolfe wrote:

> And the fact that your data/info resides on someone else's hardware,
> completely out of your control for either security or
> confidentiality...... <G>
>
>
> "GofBorg" <GofBorg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote in message
> news:DQ1vn.17804$yE3.14709@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> > > Adam Gabriel wrote:
> > >
> > > > Heard some buzz about it
> > >
> > > by "It" I mean a "private cloud"

> >
> > I'm guessing the glory of it is no hardware and facilities
> > management, coupled with presumed redundancy. The only limiter I
> > see is if your internet access goes down.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

Yeah. but ducking the lightning strikes gets to be a pain after a while.....
<G>


"£Jim" <nospam@any.invalid> wrote in message
news:V97vn.17983$yE3.16058@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>I like to keep my data in a storm (more than one cloud)
>
> Brent Wolfe wrote:
>
>> And the fact that your data/info resides on someone else's hardware,
>> completely out of your control for either security or
>> confidentiality...... <G>
>>
>>
>> "GofBorg" <GofBorg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote in message
>> news:DQ1vn.17804$yE3.14709@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> > > Adam Gabriel wrote:
>> > >
>> > > > Heard some buzz about it
>> > >
>> > > by "It" I mean a "private cloud"
>> >
>> > I'm guessing the glory of it is no hardware and facilities
>> > management, coupled with presumed redundancy. The only limiter I
>> > see is if your internet access goes down.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Thinking of trying ubuntu when...

Or the "anything on our servers is ours to do whatever we want with,
forever" clause in most of the cloud user agreements, invariably buried in
several layers of *lawyer speak*.....


"George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:gJ2vn.17853$yE3.1443@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> On 4/7/2010 12:42 PM, Brent Wolfe wrote:
>> And the fact that your data/info resides on someone else's hardware,
>> completely out of your control for either security or
>> confidentiality......
>> <G>
>>
>>
>>

> You don't trust the angels? Surely if we put our data in "the cloud" the
> angels are always there to protect it?
>
> I wonder how well "the cloud" would sell if they used the actual "store
> your data on someone else's system" description?


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.