Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:37:48 +0000, Matthew wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:56:29 +0000, Matthew wrote:
>>
>>> What if instead of LOL it LMAO. Maybe instead of either of those what
>>> if we simply --> 😄 <--. What if we what if'ed the what ifs?

>>
>> I'd need IDM to keep it all in sync. 😉
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>>

> What if IDM was WIDM? What if drival manager.


I'd think it'd be a loopback driver pointed to /dev/null. 😉

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Jim Henderson wrote:
>> What if IDM was WIDM? What if drival manager.

>
> I'd think it'd be a loopback driver pointed to /dev/null. 😉
>
> Jim


An infinite what if loop.

Just imagine if programming had a what if command.

what if(arguments) {
speculations;
}
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:46:53 +0000, Matthew wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> What if IDM was WIDM? What if drival manager.

>>
>> I'd think it'd be a loopback driver pointed to /dev/null. 😉
>>
>> Jim

>
> An infinite what if loop.
>
> Just imagine if programming had a what if command.
>
> what if(arguments) {
> speculations;
> }


/dev/null as the output will make it run faster. 😉

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Joseph Marton <jmarton@no-mx.forums.novell.com> expounded:
> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:36:01 +0000, kjhurni wrote:


> > Sharepoint integration costs extra


> SharePoint isn't free in the Microsoft world, either.


It is on some types of licensing agreement with MS. The Enterprise CAL has
that included. Of course, what you're paying for is a large bundle so
'free' is a simple matter of point-of-view. GroupWise comes 'free' the
same way on my current Novell agreement.




--
--Borg Consulate--
Cheap backup software, the bane of my existence
------------------------------------------------------------------------
vicofborg's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=9273
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Jim Henderson wrote:
>> An infinite what if loop.
>>
>> Just imagine if programming had a what if command.
>>
>> what if(arguments) {
>> speculations;
>> }

>
> /dev/null as the output will make it run faster. 😉
>
> Jim


what if(idea) {
speculate(1000);
cmd('mount /dev/null');
try(arguingPoint(idea)){
echo 'Win';
}
catch{
echo 'Fail';
}
}
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 20:04:53 +0000, Matthew wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> An infinite what if loop.
>>>
>>> Just imagine if programming had a what if command.
>>>
>>> what if(arguments) {
>>> speculations;
>>> }

>>
>> /dev/null as the output will make it run faster. 😉
>>
>> Jim

>
> what if(idea) {
> speculate(1000);
> cmd('mount /dev/null');
> try(arguingPoint(idea)){
> echo 'Win';
> }
> catch{
> echo 'Fail';
> }
> }


Well, close, yo ucould do without the arguingPoint piece, though and just
pipe idea to /dev/null. 😉

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

zeffan wrote:
> I think it would be wise to disconnect GW from the eDir reliance like
> ZEN has.
> It might be a way to help some keep GW, but the integration with
> 3rd-party items really is key.
> Get new customers? Unlikely, but possible.


I think it was wise that WP Office supported several, or no, directories
at your option. Tightly coupling it to NDS, and NetWare, might have
helped Novell a little by offering a nice additional product to existing
Novell customers, but it shut out a large segment of LAN users who could
otherwise have used it.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 20:04:53 +0000, Matthew wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>>> An infinite what if loop.
>>>>
>>>> Just imagine if programming had a what if command.
>>>>
>>>> what if(arguments) {
>>>> speculations;
>>>> }
>>> /dev/null as the output will make it run faster. 😉
>>>
>>> Jim

>> what if(idea) {
>> speculate(1000);
>> cmd('mount /dev/null');
>> try(arguingPoint(idea)){
>> echo 'Win';
>> }
>> catch{
>> echo 'Fail';
>> }
>> }

>
> Well, close, yo ucould do without the arguingPoint piece, though and just
> pipe idea to /dev/null. 😉
>
> Jim
>
>
>


I will rewrite that later with your suggestion. 😛
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

jmarton;1769738 wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:36:01 +0000, kjhurni wrote:

> Sharepoint integration costs extra


SharePoint isn't free in the Microsoft world, either.

> document management integration is non-existent


DMS is built into GW.




--
Joe
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?


Sharepoint MOSS may not be free, but I don't need to buy extra 3rd party add-ons to integrate Sharepoint MOSS with Office 2007/Outlook/Exchange.

DMS in GroupWise is lacking to the 3 top vendors in Gartner's magic quadrant.

No OLE handling, etc.
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 13:46:01 +0000, kjhurni wrote:

> Sharepoint MOSS may not be free, but I don't need to buy extra 3rd party
> add-ons to integrate Sharepoint MOSS with Office 2007/Outlook/Exchange.


No but for most GW shops they *will* have to spend money to switch to
Exchange (Windows licenses, Exchange licenses, possibly Office upgrades
if still running Office 2003, etc). In that case it's probably cheaper
to buy Sharepoint integration for GW than to buy all the Microsoft
licensing to switch to Exchange just to avoid 3rd party integrations for
SharePoint.

> DMS in GroupWise is lacking to the 3 top vendors in Gartner's magic
> quadrant.


All any vendor has to do is pay Gartner enough $$$ and now their product
is in the "magic quadrant" so this rating is hardly relevant.



--
Joe
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Joseph Marton wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 13:46:01 +0000, kjhurni wrote:
>
>> Sharepoint MOSS may not be free, but I don't need to buy extra 3rd party
>> add-ons to integrate Sharepoint MOSS with Office 2007/Outlook/Exchange.

>
> No but for most GW shops they *will* have to spend money to switch to
> Exchange (Windows licenses, Exchange licenses, possibly Office upgrades
> if still running Office 2003, etc). In that case it's probably cheaper
> to buy Sharepoint integration for GW than to buy all the Microsoft
> licensing to switch to Exchange just to avoid 3rd party integrations for
> SharePoint.


If you believe Microsoft it takes a lot of servers and a dedicated
administrator to run Exchange 2007 (I don't know if that's actually
true, but when I talked to a Microsoft rep he recommended at least two
server and highly recommended hiring a dedicated Exchange administrator.)

>
>> DMS in GroupWise is lacking to the 3 top vendors in Gartner's magic
>> quadrant.

>
> All any vendor has to do is pay Gartner enough $$$ and now their product
> is in the "magic quadrant" so this rating is hardly relevant.


Novell needs to fork over the dough. 😛

GroupWise has a hard road to travel in the Microsoft world. It's also
now stuck competing with products like Scalix and Zimbra and some of the
other open source groupware programs. In bad economic times I don't see
a lot of places dumping current groupwise installs for exchange though.
I could be wrong, but I get the vibe that everybody's just waiting to
see what happens.

New installs are a different story. I've been talking to some people I
went to high school with who now work in the tech sector and many of
them are talking about using the "alternative exchange" programs.
Especially if they don't need outlook integration.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 13:35:14 +0000, Matthew wrote:


> I will rewrite that later with your suggestion. 😛


LOL



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.