Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
islander Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

LOL!

Susan
Novell Community Chat Moderator

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules
http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
http://ncci.blogspot.com NCCIrregulars Blog


Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the 3rd party integration is a killer.

Sharepoint integration costs extra
document management integration is non-existent

We just completed an ECM project to determine WHICH ECM vendor to go with. NONE of the 3 major vendors in the Gartner magic quadrant support groupwise. Not one.

Documentum (now EMC) USED to, but not anymore
FileNet (now IBM) used to, but not anymore
Hummingbird (now OpenText) doesn't support groupwise 7 or 8

But then again I guess I can't really blame a large vendor for pouring money into a product that maybe 1% of their customers use (okay 3% possibly at the max depending upon which IDC or Gartner report you look at).
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:56:29 +0000, Matthew wrote:
>
>> What if instead of LOL it LMAO. Maybe instead of either of those what
>> if we simply --> 😄 <--. What if we what if'ed the what ifs?

>
> I'd need IDM to keep it all in sync. 😉
>
> Jim
>
>
>

What if IDM was WIDM? What if drival manager.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

> I think it would be wise to disconnect GW from the eDir reliance like
> ZEN has.
> It might be a way to help some keep GW, but the integration with
> 3rd-party items really is key.
> Get new customers? Unlikely, but possible.


I think it's quite possible for GW to gain new customers, but I agree
that something will probably have to change. What those are I don't know.
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:36:01 +0000, kjhurni wrote:

> Sharepoint integration costs extra


SharePoint isn't free in the Microsoft world, either.

> document management integration is non-existent


DMS is built into GW.




--
Joe
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

>> document management integration is non-existent
>
> DMS is built into GW.


Yes it is. I toyed with it once. Seemed ok.

Of course the problem is that much more advanced systems exist or
systems that people already have in place that work with
Outlook/Exchange. "DMS is built into Groupwise" isn't a pitch that works
with most bosses in my experience.

I tried out Worldox at one time and it's a really nice DMS that's not
horribly expensive. I think it integrates with Groupwise, but not sure
how great. Mostly designed to work with Microsoft stuff.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:37:48 +0000, Matthew wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:56:29 +0000, Matthew wrote:
>>
>>> What if instead of LOL it LMAO. Maybe instead of either of those what
>>> if we simply --> 😄 <--. What if we what if'ed the what ifs?

>>
>> I'd need IDM to keep it all in sync. 😉
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>>

> What if IDM was WIDM? What if drival manager.


I'd think it'd be a loopback driver pointed to /dev/null. 😉

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Jim Henderson wrote:
>> What if IDM was WIDM? What if drival manager.

>
> I'd think it'd be a loopback driver pointed to /dev/null. 😉
>
> Jim


An infinite what if loop.

Just imagine if programming had a what if command.

what if(arguments) {
speculations;
}
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:46:53 +0000, Matthew wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> What if IDM was WIDM? What if drival manager.

>>
>> I'd think it'd be a loopback driver pointed to /dev/null. 😉
>>
>> Jim

>
> An infinite what if loop.
>
> Just imagine if programming had a what if command.
>
> what if(arguments) {
> speculations;
> }


/dev/null as the output will make it run faster. 😉

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Joseph Marton <jmarton@no-mx.forums.novell.com> expounded:
> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:36:01 +0000, kjhurni wrote:


> > Sharepoint integration costs extra


> SharePoint isn't free in the Microsoft world, either.


It is on some types of licensing agreement with MS. The Enterprise CAL has
that included. Of course, what you're paying for is a large bundle so
'free' is a simple matter of point-of-view. GroupWise comes 'free' the
same way on my current Novell agreement.




--
--Borg Consulate--
Cheap backup software, the bane of my existence
------------------------------------------------------------------------
vicofborg's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=9273
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Jim Henderson wrote:
>> An infinite what if loop.
>>
>> Just imagine if programming had a what if command.
>>
>> what if(arguments) {
>> speculations;
>> }

>
> /dev/null as the output will make it run faster. 😉
>
> Jim


what if(idea) {
speculate(1000);
cmd('mount /dev/null');
try(arguingPoint(idea)){
echo 'Win';
}
catch{
echo 'Fail';
}
}
0 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 20:04:53 +0000, Matthew wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> An infinite what if loop.
>>>
>>> Just imagine if programming had a what if command.
>>>
>>> what if(arguments) {
>>> speculations;
>>> }

>>
>> /dev/null as the output will make it run faster. 😉
>>
>> Jim

>
> what if(idea) {
> speculate(1000);
> cmd('mount /dev/null');
> try(arguingPoint(idea)){
> echo 'Win';
> }
> catch{
> echo 'Fail';
> }
> }


Well, close, yo ucould do without the arguingPoint piece, though and just
pipe idea to /dev/null. 😉

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

zeffan wrote:
> I think it would be wise to disconnect GW from the eDir reliance like
> ZEN has.
> It might be a way to help some keep GW, but the integration with
> 3rd-party items really is key.
> Get new customers? Unlikely, but possible.


I think it was wise that WP Office supported several, or no, directories
at your option. Tightly coupling it to NDS, and NetWare, might have
helped Novell a little by offering a nice additional product to existing
Novell customers, but it shut out a large segment of LAN users who could
otherwise have used it.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 20:04:53 +0000, Matthew wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>>> An infinite what if loop.
>>>>
>>>> Just imagine if programming had a what if command.
>>>>
>>>> what if(arguments) {
>>>> speculations;
>>>> }
>>> /dev/null as the output will make it run faster. 😉
>>>
>>> Jim

>> what if(idea) {
>> speculate(1000);
>> cmd('mount /dev/null');
>> try(arguingPoint(idea)){
>> echo 'Win';
>> }
>> catch{
>> echo 'Fail';
>> }
>> }

>
> Well, close, yo ucould do without the arguingPoint piece, though and just
> pipe idea to /dev/null. 😉
>
> Jim
>
>
>


I will rewrite that later with your suggestion. 😛
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: What if GroupWise could use AD?

jmarton;1769738 wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:36:01 +0000, kjhurni wrote:

> Sharepoint integration costs extra


SharePoint isn't free in the Microsoft world, either.

> document management integration is non-existent


DMS is built into GW.




--
Joe
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?


Sharepoint MOSS may not be free, but I don't need to buy extra 3rd party add-ons to integrate Sharepoint MOSS with Office 2007/Outlook/Exchange.

DMS in GroupWise is lacking to the 3 top vendors in Gartner's magic quadrant.

No OLE handling, etc.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.