bpainter Contributor.
Contributor.

Win 10 Enterprise vs Pro in an OES environment

Hi all,

Are there benefits of running Enterprise over Pro in an OES environment? We are working on moving to Win 10 and are also at MS Assurance renewal time and the Enterprise portion is fairly expensive so I was wondering what benefits are gained or leveraged in conjunction with OES if any. I've read the comparison chart but I'm not sure the additional features outweigh the additional price. We are also running Zen and use edir to manage and authenticate. Thoughts from those in the know?

Thanks,
Brad
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
iliadmin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Win 10 Enterprise vs Pro in an OES environment

Brad, I am in the same boat as you, I would be interested to hear from others as well on their knowledge/experience with Win10 and OES. We are transitioning to OES 2018.

Val

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 14.11.2018 21:24, BPainter wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Are there benefits of running Enterprise over Pro in an OES environment?

There are no benefits directly related to OES. All the other benefits of
Enterprise vs. Pro of course stand: longer support, more control via
group policies, but these are all unrelated to OES.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
KSharon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you still confused then main factor you can consider before switching is security. Win 10 is including virtualization based security and bio metric security too but does not include advanced threat protection, but for me I found win 7 best from all the versions because it is very fast on my desktop.
0 Likes
iliadmin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ksharon and Massimo: you both make some good points. We have rolled out a handfull of Windows 10 systems and they are Pro. We have also installed added protection for advanced threats and the like. Overall, a lot more of extra management (have not added them to Zenworks yet) to keep those bad patches at bay, but so far do-able. The OS is not so bad on our older systems, just not sure how long that will continue to be the case and whether or not they will continue to get updates (you know, the hardware compatibility collusion factor, all the mfgs making you buy new all the time). It is going to be HUGELY expensive for us, a small company, to have to buy new hardware AND get software assurance just for the OS, especially if we have to go Enterprise. It's a big decision to make.

GW 2018 & Mobility Service-Version: 18.1.0 Build: 410 on SLES 12SP3, GW Client 18.02 (Build 131493) on Windows 7 64bit; server OES 11 on SLES 11 SP3; eDirectory 9.1 on SLES12SP3 and eDirectory 8.8sp8 on SLES11 SP3
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.