Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Working from home

Do you see many companies looking to shift to permanent Work From Home?

If you find this post useful, please use the Like and/or Accept as a Solution buttons below.
Labels (1)
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When I speak with customers, I haven't seen a consistent trend in shifting to a permanent Work from Home strategy. However I do see organizations adopting a more flexible approach that gives employees greater latitude in where they work and what hours they keep. The flexibility is also shifting hiring requirements in terms of locations and accommodating a more distributed approach. Here at Micro Focus we have slowly returned to a mix of remote and office based routines (depending on country rules).

The consistent shift is that we are all learning how to adapt to a new normal. What was once a requirement to be "in the office" is now more blurred. We can have collaborative and productive (sometimes more so) conversations regardless of where we are.

I believe most companies will end up with hybrid working models – splitting the week, month or projects with part time at home and part time at work.

Highlighted
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

I'm fortunate enough to work from home but a lot of my colleagues are really struggling with the nature of supporting Novell remotely. We can VPN in but a lot of our customers don't have jump boxes so support can be difficult without an onsite presence.

Also I had a lot of problems during lockdown with just not having the right space for work. Maybe what we need are to go back to closed offices instead of open plan.

Highlighted
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Do you see many companies looking to shift to permanent Work From Home?

I certainly hope so.  I've been working from home for years and it's been great

• Less wear/tear on the vehicle - less mileage and lower insurance rates
  • No commute time.   More time to spend with the family....or work on projects when needed.  No more coming through the door at 9pm to a cold dinner in the fridge

I think companies will benefit by not paying for high rent office space (sorry commercial real estate sector...you're the losers). I think most employees can be more productive, though face to face time is what's being lost.    The balance is in the positive side.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

I've seen a number of articles like this one that say commercial real estate is in trouble: https://www.geekwire.com/2020/death-hq-pandemic-hits-commercial-real-estate-long-term-trends-still-open-debate/
But then as you can see, representatives from the commercial real estate business say they'll be back. Personally, I doubt it. I think the way we work has changed permanently.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I heard a news story that said that in the inner cities of New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc that companies pay more for an employee's office space than they do for the salary of the employee.   I can imagine most companies wouldn't be heart broken to change that.   Does that mean that inner cities will be ghost towns in the near future?   

--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I agree with what @malcolmlewis said.

Many IT services can be provided remotely. On the other hand it would be quite difficult to have assembly line workers work from home, 😉

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

@KBOYLEthink you meant @MalcolmIsaacs 😎

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner
SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
If you appreciate what I've posted, click the LIKE button below. If this
solves your problem, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION button.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner

Yeah.. him too. 🙂

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.