Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3436 views

economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

A K-12 school system is wanting to phase in Open Office (or Neo Office)
onto their MAC's replacing Microsoft's Office. However, they are
getting a lot of push back from the faculty simply because of their
existing familiarity with Microsoft's products and the vast majority of
their students use Microsoft products at home.

Question... has anybody already dealt with this scenario and what was
the outcome?

Cost doesn't seem to be an issue because Microsoft, like the drug
dealer, practically gives away its product in the K-12 schools to hook
the kids.

Has there been any support cost analysis? Has there been any really
persuasive reasons to switch that worked?

Looking for some help here. Thanks.

Bob
Labels (1)
0 Likes
49 Replies
adrockk Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 05:13:03 GMT, Bob
<RoNoSpamBert@SchweinANoSpam.com> wrote:
> A K-12 school system is wanting to phase in Open Office (or Neo

Office) ...
> Has there been any support cost analysis? Has there been any

really
> persuasive reasons to switch that worked?


MS's pricing for k-12 volume license and SA is very low. Its not a
large coat to stay. For SA ON 1500 CALS and VL renewal I think I pay
around $7K every 3 years. This includes office, windows and more.

After the first transition year I would assume support costs would be
the close to the same.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

No idea, but I can tell you that my mom handled the switch from Word to OO
with no issues and she's very computer illiterate.

>>> Bob<RoNoSpamBert@SchweinANoSpam.com> 10/8/2010 1:13 AM >>>

A K‑12 school system is wanting to phase in Open Office (or Neo Office)
onto their MAC's replacing Microsoft's Office. However, they are
getting a lot of push back from the faculty simply because of their
existing familiarity with Microsoft's products and the vast majority of
their students use Microsoft products at home.

Question... has anybody already dealt with this scenario and what was
the outcome?

Cost doesn't seem to be an issue because Microsoft, like the drug
dealer, practically gives away its product in the K‑12 schools to hook
the kids.

Has there been any support cost analysis? Has there been any really
persuasive reasons to switch that worked?

Looking for some help here. Thanks.

Bob


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

OO has just split into two, OO and Libre Office,

Libre Office should be coming out soon. It's in beta right now, but I
forsee it it surpass OO as soon as the word gets out. People think M$
is the only way to go, I'm forcing that change away from M$ office these
days, and no, people do not like it. 🙂
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 13:19:23 GMT
Greg B <buchanan.nospam.greg@gmail.mapson.com> wrote:

> OO has just split into two, OO and Libre Office,
>
> Libre Office should be coming out soon. It's in beta right now, but I
> forsee it it surpass OO as soon as the word gets out. People think M$
> is the only way to go, I'm forcing that change away from M$ office
> these days, and no, people do not like it. 🙂

Hi
You might want to login to IRC #libreoffice there is lot of chatter in
there at present.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34.7-0.3-default
up 2 days 16:45, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.20
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 256.53

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner
SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
If you appreciate what I've posted, click the LIKE button below. If this
solves your problem, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION button.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 13:19:23 GMT, Greg B
<buchanan.nospam.greg@gmail.mapson.com> wrote:

>OO has just split into two, OO and Libre Office,
>
>Libre Office should be coming out soon. It's in beta right now, but I
>forsee it it surpass OO as soon as the word gets out. People think M$
>is the only way to go, I'm forcing that change away from M$ office these
>days, and no, people do not like it. 🙂


We tried to use OpenOffice. Too many compatibility issues. When our
clients use MS Office and we receive a document from them, and we
can't see all the information because OpenOffice can't properly
translate it all, we have problems. We currently run an older version
of MS Office and also OpenOffice, but we will probably need to upgrade
to a current MS Office unless Libre can solve the compatibility
issues.

Ken
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

Yep, compatibility is just too large of an issue. Its simply a headache
that goes away when MS Office is used. Our opinion is that the soft
costs outweigh the hard savings.

On 10/8/10 9:19 AM, KeN Etter wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 13:19:23 GMT, Greg B
> <buchanan.nospam.greg@gmail.mapson.com> wrote:
>
>> OO has just split into two, OO and Libre Office,
>>
>> Libre Office should be coming out soon. It's in beta right now, but I
>> forsee it it surpass OO as soon as the word gets out. People think M$
>> is the only way to go, I'm forcing that change away from M$ office these
>> days, and no, people do not like it. 🙂

>
> We tried to use OpenOffice. Too many compatibility issues. When our
> clients use MS Office and we receive a document from them, and we
> can't see all the information because OpenOffice can't properly
> translate it all, we have problems. We currently run an older version
> of MS Office and also OpenOffice, but we will probably need to upgrade
> to a current MS Office unless Libre can solve the compatibility
> issues.
>
> Ken


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

> Question... has anybody already dealt with this scenario and what was
> the outcome?


Pushback was significant enough that the conversion project was abandoned.
I still use OpenOffice on my desktop because I spend most of my
time in Linux. Of peoples personal machines that I work on, everyone
that I have given OpenOffice to has found some way to move to Microsoft's
Office suite. Usually by purchasing student licenses because they have
children.



0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

Have you tried distributing the Office Viewers for the Compatibility issues.
The bigguest issue I've encountered is more with Access than the other applications due to Viewer Availability.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On 10/8/10 10:25 AM, GofBorg wrote:
>> Question... has anybody already dealt with this scenario and what was
>> the outcome?

>
> Pushback was significant enough that the conversion project was abandoned.
> I still use OpenOffice on my desktop because I spend most of my
> time in Linux. Of peoples personal machines that I work on, everyone
> that I have given OpenOffice to has found some way to move to Microsoft's
> Office suite. Usually by purchasing student licenses because they have
> children.
>
>
>


We are (or more specifically I am) putting OpenOffice on our terminal
server. Even though we are a non-profit Microsoft won't cut us any slack
because we fall under the medical facility clause. They want us to buy
a license for every user on the server even though 75% of them won't be
using it. Don't much care if people like it or not. They get mad I will
direct them to complain to Microsoft for *** ****** us with the price.

Of course I'm also pushing people away from Microsoft Outlook and onto
Google Apps web interface. Anybody who doesn't make a compelling reason
to have Microsoft Office also gets OpenOffice. They don't have a choice.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

We have moved to OpenOffice from MS Office for our ~4000 users and hundreds of teachers... The migration went quite nice at least in my opinion and we didn't even offer much OO training 🙂

The first thing you need to do is to convince upper management, to convince them you say:

That we will save a bit of money (in reality not much).
Say that not all students can afford MS office at home but if we use Openoffice then it will not cost students anything to use it at home.
Then you need to talk a bit about open standards and also say that OO is almost completely compatible with MS formats, if not then there are MS Office viewer which should be 100% compatible with MS formats.

When upper management agrees to implement OpenOffice and you do it, then you have to withstand about a year of complaining teachers and after that you have successfully implemented OO in your environment 🙂

After one year, you occasionally here teachers complaining about OO behind you back but you get through that by not taking it personally and by knowing that you did a good thing by implementing free and opensouce software for our kids.

I agree with Craig, the only thing we have trouble with is access databases.. So these people who have "critical" access databases are still allowed to have MS Office on their workstations.

Thomas
0 Likes
ecyoung Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

I'm not sure I agree with customer service being #2 here. In my
organization, we can't just "withstand" users. We actually have to help
them.

"thsundel" <thsundel@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:thsundel.4iiwjz@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
> When upper management agrees to implement OpenOffice and you do it,
> then you have to withstand about a year of complaining teachers and
> after that you have successfully implemented OO in your environment 🙂
>
> After one year, you occasionally here teachers complaining about OO
> behind you back but you get through that by not taking it personally and
> by knowing that you did a good thing by implementing free and opensouce
> software for our kids.



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

ecyoung;2031964 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with customer service being #2 here. In my
organization, we can't just "withstand" users. We actually have to help
them.

"thsundel" <thsundel@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:thsundel.4iiwjz@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
> When upper management agrees to implement OpenOffice and you do it,
> then you have to withstand about a year of complaining teachers and
> after that you have successfully implemented OO in your environment 🙂
>
> After one year, you occasionally here teachers complaining about OO
> behind you back but you get through that by not taking it personally and
> by knowing that you did a good thing by implementing free and opensouce
> software for our kids.


I didn't say that we did not offer customer service or at least that was not what I meant.

Priority one is to offer better and faster support for OpenOffice than when you had MS Office so you need to have all IT personnel using OpenOffice so that they can easily help your users.

Btw. here is a great paper on OpenOffice migration, should also include some€ numbers: http://acta.uta.fi/haekokoversio.php?id=11357

Thomas
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

I think it really depends on a lot of factors.

If you have buyin and tolerance from your end users, management and IT
then yes, it can work and work well - but there will be pain.

We looked at migrating to Open Office to standardise across the
organisation, we were also concerned about the how our users would cope
with the changes in the Office 2007 UI.

We struck issues with the anchoring of pictures and with some types of
formatting, this was especially prevalent in the documents within our
ISO system. Our ISO system consists of litterally thousands of Word
and Excel documents created in versions of Word and Excel from Word 6
and Excel 5.

Some of our users didn't really notice the difference going to Open
Office, with others there was major pushback.

Between the ISO and the pushback we decided to suck up the costs and
standardise on Office 2003 with SA and then migrate to 2007 within 6 to
12 months, it was quite remarkable that there was no pushback with the
moving to Office 2007.

Though Open Office looks cheap, we still have our users to deal with
and depending on your user population they can make it very expensive.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

Alex Inman has done this kind of thing. Check out the links below.

http://linuxlaptops.blogspot.com

http://educollaborators.com/

Brad


Bob wrote:
> A K-12 school system is wanting to phase in Open Office (or Neo Office)
> onto their MAC's replacing Microsoft's Office. However, they are
> getting a lot of push back from the faculty simply because of their
> existing familiarity with Microsoft's products and the vast majority of
> their students use Microsoft products at home.
>
> Question... has anybody already dealt with this scenario and what was
> the outcome?
>
> Cost doesn't seem to be an issue because Microsoft, like the drug
> dealer, practically gives away its product in the K-12 schools to hook
> the kids.
>
> Has there been any support cost analysis? Has there been any really
> persuasive reasons to switch that worked?
>
> Looking for some help here. Thanks.
>
> Bob

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.