Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

> Of course I'm also pushing people away from Microsoft Outlook and onto
> Google Apps web interface.


Why bother. Implement a community edition Zimbra server for gratis.
Latest builds even include a baseic excel and word program, not to
mention sharepoint style briefcases and full fledged email client. Works
on mobile phones as well.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On 10/12/10 1:18 PM, GofBorg wrote:
>> Of course I'm also pushing people away from Microsoft Outlook and onto
>> Google Apps web interface.

>
> Why bother. Implement a community edition Zimbra server for gratis.
> Latest builds even include a baseic excel and word program, not to
> mention sharepoint style briefcases and full fledged email client. Works
> on mobile phones as well.
>
>


I was going the Zimbra route, but we still have a few people that use
Outlook because they use the scheduled send feature of Outlook which
Zimbra and Google Apps don't have. Zimbra doesn't offer an Outlook sync
client with the community version.

For us Google Apps Edu was free and has an outlook sync client.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

Take a look at what MS posted online 🙂

YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org

Thomas
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

>
> Take a look at what MS posted online 🙂
>
> 'YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org'
> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdykNa2IBU)
>
> Thomas


Yep.. Ars article hit today as well with links to actual case studies (by
MS) at the bottom.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/10/microsoft-posts-video-of-
customers-criticizing-openoffice.ars
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

GofBorg wrote:

>

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/10/microsoft-posts-video-of-
> customers-criticizing-openoffice.ars


Lemme guess... it's customers criticizing something "new" and
"different." If that's the case... where's the Microsoft video of
Office 2003 customers criticizing Office 2007?

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

> Lemme guess... it's customers criticizing something "new" and
> "different." If that's the case... where's the Microsoft video of
> Office 2003 customers criticizing Office 2007?


Actually more on the line of how much more 'productive' they are now
that they've 'escaped' OpenOffice.


0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

GofBorg wrote:

> Actually more on the line of how much more 'productive' they are now
> that they've 'escaped' OpenOffice.


Yes that ribbon sure increases productivity. 🙂

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

jmarton;2034260 wrote:
GofBorg wrote:

> Actually more on the line of how much more 'productive' they are now
> that they've 'escaped' OpenOffice.


Yes that ribbon sure increases productivity. 🙂

--
Does this washcloth smell like chloroform?


🙂

Thomas
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On 10/14/10 12:36 PM, thsundel wrote:
>
> Take a look at what MS posted online 🙂
>
> 'YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org'
> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdykNa2IBU)
>
> Thomas
>
>


Ugh. I didn't need that much BS this early in the morning.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On 10/14/10 1:04 PM, GofBorg wrote:
>>
>> Take a look at what MS posted online 🙂
>>
>> 'YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org'
>> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdykNa2IBU)
>>
>> Thomas

>
> Yep.. Ars article hit today as well with links to actual case studies (by
> MS) at the bottom.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/10/microsoft-posts-video-of-
> customers-criticizing-openoffice.ars


Here's my take. Macro programming in OpenOffice is painful for the
beginner. Not a lot of really good documentation that I can find. The
menu has a bit of a learning curve. How it formats documents does take a
bit getting use to (I come from WordPerfect). Calc isn't as advanced as
Excel (although I doubt most people would know the difference).

If a Word or Excel doc comes in poorly formatted it's probably because
of the way those programs formatted it. OpenOffice, as best as I can
tell, seems to follow the way Microsoft says it formats it's documents.

And lastly. OpenOffice isn't going to be for everyone just like
Microsoft office isn't for everyone. I field calls daily with questions
about how to do something trivial in Microsoft Office. So far everything
I've ever seen somebody do here where I work can be done in OpenOffice.
That includes spreadsheets.

The problem is the mindset of people. The one point the video made that
I agree with is that people are automatically trained to use Microsoft
Office. They generally don't give OpenOffice or other office suites a
chance.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On 10/14/10 1:40 PM, Joseph Marton wrote:
> GofBorg wrote:
>
>> Actually more on the line of how much more 'productive' they are now
>> that they've 'escaped' OpenOffice.

>
> Yes that ribbon sure increases productivity. 🙂
>


I actually like the Ribbon interface, but I'm not going to pay the
premium to get it. 😛
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

thsundel;2034205 wrote:
Take a look at what MS posted online 🙂

YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org

Thomas


I wonder why MS disabled commenting on this video 🙂 *All* other videos they posted are open for commenting, isn't that wierd...

Thomas
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On 10/15/10 10:06 AM, thsundel wrote:
>
> thsundel;2034205 Wrote:
>> Take a look at what MS posted online 🙂
>>
>> 'YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org'
>> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdykNa2IBU)
>>
>> Thomas

>
> I wonder why MS disabled commenting on this video 🙂 *All* other videos
> they posted are open for commenting, isn't that wierd...
>
> Thomas
>
>


Because of those crazy open source fanboys who will just spread FUD. 😛

--
http://www.thecrankyitguy.com
http://www.thecrankyitforum.com
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

Matthew;2034653 wrote:
On 10/15/10 10:06 AM, thsundel wrote:
>
> thsundel;2034205 Wrote:
>> Take a look at what MS posted online 🙂
>>
>> 'YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org'
>> (YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org)
>>
>> Thomas

>
> I wonder why MS disabled commenting on this video 🙂 *All* other videos
> they posted are open for commenting, isn't that wierd...
>
> Thomas
>
>


Because of those crazy open source fanboys who will just spread FUD. 😛

--
The Cranky IT Guy | One grumpy guy, two cents worth.
The Cranky IT Forum - Index


Do you think 🙂

Thomas
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: economic analysis of Open Office vs. Microsoft's Office?

On 10/15/10 12:36 PM, thsundel wrote:
>
> Matthew;2034653 Wrote:
>> On 10/15/10 10:06 AM, thsundel wrote:
>>>
>>> thsundel;2034205 Wrote:
>>>> Take a look at what MS posted online 🙂
>>>>
>>>> 'YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org'
>>>> ('YouTube - A Few Perspectives on OpenOffice.org'

>> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdykNa2IBU))
>>>>
>>>> Thomas
>>>
>>> I wonder why MS disabled commenting on this video 🙂 *All* other

>> videos
>>> they posted are open for commenting, isn't that wierd...
>>>
>>> Thomas
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Because of those crazy open source fanboys who will just spread FUD. 😛
>>
>> --
>> 'The Cranky IT Guy | One grumpy guy, two cents worth.'
>> (http://www.thecrankyitguy.com)
>> 'The Cranky IT Forum - Index' (http://www.thecrankyitforum.com)

>
> Do you think 🙂
>
> Thomas
>
>


Not unless I'm force to. 😛

--
http://www.thecrankyitguy.com
http://www.thecrankyitforum.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.