Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1213 views

icy times...

Anyone else get hit by the ice storm?
Wallgames...do you have power yet?

Ice storm hit northeast Indiana early Friday morning. Power was out
at our office from 6 AM Friday until Sunday afternoon. At home, power
was out from 9 AM Friday until Saturday evening. It is currently -3
degrees F with a -10 degree F windchill. On Sunday the winds kicked
up and took power out again for quite a few people. We're having fun
here. 🙂

Novell....it does a server good!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

KeN Etter,

> Anyone else get hit by the ice storm?
> Wallgames...do you have power yet?
>
> Ice storm hit northeast Indiana early Friday morning. Power was out
> at our office from 6 AM Friday until Sunday afternoon. At home, power
> was out from 9 AM Friday until Saturday evening. It is currently -3
> degrees F with a -10 degree F windchill. On Sunday the winds kicked
> up and took power out again for quite a few people. We're having fun
> here. 🙂
>


We got the supercold blast yesterday afternoon, not a cloud in the sky
but 40mph winds and subzero wind chill. We didn't get the precipitation.
I'm extremely grateful for that -- I really^2 hate ice storms.

Hope everyone came through okay.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

KeN Etter wrote:

> On Sunday the winds kicked
> up and took power out again for quite a few people.


😞

Silly question, but if the elements frequently take out the power lines
why don't they run underground cabling? Initial cost would be higher
but surely the costs of reconnecting all the time would be higher, not
to mention the safety issues for the staff doing it in poor weather.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:54:39 GMT, DougB <dougdotblack@gmaildot.com>
wrote:

>We got the supercold blast yesterday afternoon, not a cloud in the sky
>but 40mph winds and subzero wind chill. We didn't get the precipitation.
> I'm extremely grateful for that -- I really^2 hate ice storms.
>
>Hope everyone came through okay.


Thanks. So far everyone has...but I know people that still do not
have power. There are rumors some people won't have power for a few
more days.

Ken

Novell....it does a server good!
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:20:40 GMT, "Scott Campbell"
<potato@potato.potato> wrote:

>Silly question, but if the elements frequently take out the power lines
>why don't they run underground cabling? Initial cost would be higher
>but surely the costs of reconnecting all the time would be higher, not
>to mention the safety issues for the staff doing it in poor weather.


I don't know... Maybe it doesn't happen here frequently enough to
make it worth it. In the last 12 years I have only had an extended
power outage two times.

Ken

Novell....it does a server good!
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:20:40 GMT, "Scott Campbell" <potato@potato.potato>
wrote:

>Silly question, but if the elements frequently take out the power lines
>why don't they run underground cabling? Initial cost would be higher
>but surely the costs of reconnecting all the time would be higher, not
>to mention the safety issues for the staff doing it in poor weather.


It is often done in hurricane-prone areas. Our house in South Florida had
underground power lines. That did not keep us from losing power for a week
or more three times in 2004 and 2005. The problems are:
a: it's more expensive than aerial power lines
b: buried power lines have to be protected from ground water
c: it would be very expensive (and dangerous) to bury high-tension lines

Donald Albury
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

KeN Etter wrote:
> Anyone else get hit by the ice storm?
> Wallgames...do you have power yet?
>
> Ice storm hit northeast Indiana early Friday morning. Power was out
> at our office from 6 AM Friday until Sunday afternoon. At home, power
> was out from 9 AM Friday until Saturday evening. It is currently -3
> degrees F with a -10 degree F windchill. On Sunday the winds kicked
> up and took power out again for quite a few people. We're having fun
> here. 🙂
>
> Novell....it does a server good!


Were not getting hit by ice storms, but all our roads got covered in a
thin sheet of ice. Was fun driving to work today.
0 Likes
zeffan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

Were not getting hit by ice storms, but all our roads got covered in a
thin sheet of ice. Was fun driving to work today.


Same here. It was freezing rain almost the whole way in this morning. My normal 40 minute trip took me an hour. You think I saw ANYONE out salting the roads? Heck no! Grrrrr
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

It finally came back, and we're now dealing with a couple frozen pipes.

My parents are still out (since about 5:30AM Friday morning). I now realize
how little heat those gas logs actually throw off. That, and the water
heater, are their only heat source. They also have frozen pipes, in spite
of leaving faucets running. In retrospect, they should have shut off the
water and drained the pipes - but no one anticipated power would be off for
so long.

They are now being told power should be restored by midnight on Friday.
Sadly, Christmas is Thursday, so long-standing family traditions may be off
for this year. However, we'll certainly get together elsewhere.

-Bob Carroll



"KeN Etter" <kle@_remove_this_msktd.com> wrote in message
news:h5fvk4leo36o4d6sejeecjn9m5q7e77lta@4ax.com...
> Anyone else get hit by the ice storm?
> Wallgames...do you have power yet?
>
> Ice storm hit northeast Indiana early Friday morning. Power was out
> at our office from 6 AM Friday until Sunday afternoon. At home, power
> was out from 9 AM Friday until Saturday evening. It is currently -3
> degrees F with a -10 degree F windchill. On Sunday the winds kicked
> up and took power out again for quite a few people. We're having fun
> here. 🙂
>
> Novell....it does a server good!



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:13:21 GMT, "Wallgames.com"
<rpcarrollNOSPAMPLEASE@NOSPAMPLEASEwallgames.com> wrote:

>It finally came back, and we're now dealing with a couple frozen pipes.


I'm glad you have power...hopefully your pipes didn't burst.

>My parents are still out (since about 5:30AM Friday morning).


My parents don't have heat yet either. And some of my co-workers are
still waiting for power to be restored. Hopefully they don't have to
wait much longer.

Regards,
Ken

Novell....it does a server good!
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

Their power came back up yesterday evening. Their digital thermostat
wouldn't turn the furnace on until I replaced the battery. An hour or so
later, a hot water pipe burst, inside a wall, of course, but it dumped
through a vent into my mom's closet onto all her "dry-clean only" clothes.

I have fans drying things out right now. At least now we'll be able to have
the extended family Christmas there.

I hope your parents have power by now.

Merry Christmas!

Best wishes,
Bob Carroll


"KeN Etter" <kle@_remove_this_msktd.com> wrote in message
news:e572l4tnshknti7031ftevje36nno1d15b@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:13:21 GMT, "Wallgames.com"
> <rpcarrollNOSPAMPLEASE@NOSPAMPLEASEwallgames.com> wrote:
>
>>It finally came back, and we're now dealing with a couple frozen pipes.

>
> I'm glad you have power...hopefully your pipes didn't burst.
>
>>My parents are still out (since about 5:30AM Friday morning).

>
> My parents don't have heat yet either. And some of my co-workers are
> still waiting for power to be restored. Hopefully they don't have to
> wait much longer.
>
> Regards,
> Ken
>
> Novell....it does a server good!



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: icy times...

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 15:41:21 GMT, "Wallgames.com"
<rpcarrollNOSPAMPLEASE@NOSPAMPLEASEwallgames.com> wrote:

>Their power came back up yesterday evening. Their digital thermostat
>wouldn't turn the furnace on until I replaced the battery. An hour or so
>later, a hot water pipe burst, inside a wall, of course, but it dumped
>through a vent into my mom's closet onto all her "dry-clean only" clothes.


bummer.

>I have fans drying things out right now. At least now we'll be able to have
>the extended family Christmas there.


Good news!

>I hope your parents have power by now.


Yes they do, but my sister lost power yesterday. At least it has
warmed up a bit.

Merry Christmas to you too!
Ken

Novell....it does a server good!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.