Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3292 views

ncciphotos site down

Starting to have hardware problems with the server - it's locked up cold
on me 4 times today and did once last night.

I'm probably going to have to migrate to new hardware this weekend.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
Labels (1)
0 Likes
72 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:36:18 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Starting to have hardware problems with the server - it's locked up cold
> on me 4 times today and did once last night.
>
> I'm probably going to have to migrate to new hardware this weekend.


Make that about 10 lockups.

I've moved the ncciphotos site to newer hardware and upgraded the
software to 1.5.10 (still on Gallery 1 since I haven't had time to
configure a database yet). Overall it seems to be functioning properly,
but if I could have someone test it out and let me know how it's looking
from there, that'd be great.

The gallery configuration script told me that it wasn't using
the .htaccess files or mod_rewrite, but I can't find what in the
configuration is preventing that. If someone has an idea what to check,
I'm all ears. 🙂

The new system has over 2x as much memory and is running OES2 instead of
OES1.

I have used this system before for a few things and in general it's
worked OK, but I have had problems with it locking up (overheating) - at
least I know the problem with it and I believe replacing the power supply
should solve that issue. I think the ventilation in the PSU is just not
adequate.

There is not as much disk space physically in this server, though - but
for what I've been storing on the old server, I have an external drive
that can pick up the slack until I can move a drive over from the old
system.

Jim


--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

Jim Henderson said,

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:36:18 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
> > Starting to have hardware problems with the server - it's locked up cold
> > on me 4 times today and did once last night.
> >
> > I'm probably going to have to migrate to new hardware this weekend.

>
> Make that about 10 lockups.
>
> I've moved the ncciphotos site to newer hardware and upgraded the
> software to 1.5.10 (still on Gallery 1 since I haven't had time to
> configure a database yet). Overall it seems to be functioning properly,
> but if I could have someone test it out and let me know how it's looking
> from there, that'd be great.
>
> The gallery configuration script told me that it wasn't using
> the .htaccess files or mod_rewrite, but I can't find what in the
> configuration is preventing that. If someone has an idea what to check,
> I'm all ears. 🙂
>
> The new system has over 2x as much memory and is running OES2 instead of
> OES1.
>
> I have used this system before for a few things and in general it's
> worked OK, but I have had problems with it locking up (overheating) - at
> least I know the problem with it and I believe replacing the power supply
> should solve that issue. I think the ventilation in the PSU is just not
> adequate.
>
> There is not as much disk space physically in this server, though - but
> for what I've been storing on the old server, I have an external drive
> that can pick up the slack until I can move a drive over from the old
> system.
>
> Jim


"It works!" or so it says when you go to the page.

--
Lindsey
Xananews 1.19.1.110
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 02:58:01 +0000, Lindsey Johnstone wrote:

> Jim Henderson said,
>
>> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:36:18 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> > Starting to have hardware problems with the server - it's locked up
>> > cold on me 4 times today and did once last night.
>> >
>> > I'm probably going to have to migrate to new hardware this weekend.

>>
>> Make that about 10 lockups.
>>
>> I've moved the ncciphotos site to newer hardware and upgraded the
>> software to 1.5.10 (still on Gallery 1 since I haven't had time to
>> configure a database yet). Overall it seems to be functioning
>> properly, but if I could have someone test it out and let me know how
>> it's looking from there, that'd be great.
>>
>> The gallery configuration script told me that it wasn't using the
>> .htaccess files or mod_rewrite, but I can't find what in the
>> configuration is preventing that. If someone has an idea what to
>> check, I'm all ears. 🙂
>>
>> The new system has over 2x as much memory and is running OES2 instead
>> of OES1.
>>
>> I have used this system before for a few things and in general it's
>> worked OK, but I have had problems with it locking up (overheating) -
>> at least I know the problem with it and I believe replacing the power
>> supply should solve that issue. I think the ventilation in the PSU is
>> just not adequate.
>>
>> There is not as much disk space physically in this server, though - but
>> for what I've been storing on the old server, I have an external drive
>> that can pick up the slack until I can move a drive over from the old
>> system.
>>
>> Jim

>
> "It works!" or so it says when you go to the page.


Yeah, you ended up on the "default" page - try it again, I've been
tweaking the apache config to get my own site up and running and had
b0rked things with the virtual hosts configuration.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
islander Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

Jim:

Thanks for continuing to host the photos. Not now, because I know
you're busy, but when you get a chance, is it possible for all of the
photos as a single file to be made available for download by me? I've
been thinking of adding a small slideshow to the NCCI site that just
keeps looping through all the photos... : )

Susan
Novell Community Chat Moderator

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules
http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
http://ncci.blogspot.com NCCIrregulars Blog


Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 04:50:32 +0000, Susan wrote:

> Jim:
>
> Thanks for continuing to host the photos. Not now, because I know
> you're busy, but when you get a chance, is it possible for all of the
> photos as a single file to be made available for download by me? I've
> been thinking of adding a small slideshow to the NCCI site that just
> keeps looping through all the photos... : )


Let me take an archive of them to Provo with me next Tuesday - I'll put
them on the ftp server for you to pull down.

There are rather a lot of photos there, I was quite surprised. 🙂

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

Susan <nscv.sysop.susan@myrealbox.com> wrote in
news:VA.00005c93.2757ba5d@myrealbox.com:

> Jim:
>
> Thanks for continuing to host the photos. Not now, because I know
> you're busy, but when you get a chance, is it possible for all of the
> photos as a single file to be made available for download by me? I've
> been thinking of adding a small slideshow to the NCCI site that just
> keeps looping through all the photos... : )
>
> Susan
> Novell Community Chat Moderator
>
> http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules
> http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
> http://ncci.blogspot.com NCCIrregulars Blog
>


Speaking of NCCI.org, I just went there and something has happened to furl
and the link goes to a weird place. Is furl dead?

--
Ciao, Dave
0 Likes
michael8 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

Jim
> Overall it seems to be functioning properly,
> but if I could have someone test it out and let me know how it's looking
> from there, that'd be great.


Just had a looky though the BS pics - looks good mate (few spammy
comments though)

Thanks for continuing to host it all and look after it 🙂

Michael
--
"This is the curse of Jeff Murdoch. I meet the woman of my dreams and I
can't take my trousers off."

"This is the curse of Jeff Murdoch. I meet the woman of my dreams and I can't take my trousers off."
0 Likes
islander Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

Jim:

Thank you. Yes, I figured it will take awhile to download the file!
: )

Susan
Novell Community Chat Moderator

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules
http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
http://ncci.blogspot.com NCCIrregulars Blog


Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
0 Likes
islander Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

Dave:

Yes and no. That's something I'll be working on this evening. Furl
was acquired by Diigo, so I have to change the html code to the Diigo
code. I've done it on the blog, now I have to do it on the site. : )

Susan
Novell Community Chat Moderator

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules
http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
http://ncci.blogspot.com NCCIrregulars Blog


Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:22:25 +0000, MichaelC wrote:

> Jim
>> Overall it seems to be functioning properly, but if I could have
>> someone test it out and let me know how it's looking from there, that'd
>> be great.

>
> Just had a looky though the BS pics - looks good mate (few spammy
> comments though)


Yeah, someone who's looking after the albums themselves probably ought to
clean out the spammy comments. 🙂

> Thanks for continuing to host it all and look after it 🙂


Certainly. 🙂

Jim


--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
michael8 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

Jim
> Yeah, someone who's looking after the albums themselves probably ought to
> clean out the spammy comments. 🙂


I'd almost forgotten I had an admin login - will try to get some time
this week to have a look through 🙂

Michael
--
"This is the curse of Jeff Murdoch. I meet the woman of my dreams and I
can't take my trousers off."

"This is the curse of Jeff Murdoch. I meet the woman of my dreams and I can't take my trousers off."
0 Likes
islander Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

Jim:

But how did the spammy comments get there in the first place? It's
never been open to the public, that I'm aware...? It's always required
usernames and passwords. : )

Susan
Novell Community Chat Moderator

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules
http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
http://ncci.blogspot.com NCCIrregulars Blog


Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://forums.novell.com/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_rules http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 06:44:10 +0000, MichaelC wrote:

> Jim
>> Yeah, someone who's looking after the albums themselves probably ought
>> to clean out the spammy comments. 🙂

>
> I'd almost forgotten I had an admin login - will try to get some time
> this week to have a look through 🙂
>
> Michael


Cool, thanks.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ncciphotos site down

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:33:21 +0000, Susan wrote:

> Jim:
>
> But how did the spammy comments get there in the first place? It's
> never been open to the public, that I'm aware...? It's always required
> usernames and passwords. : )


I've no idea...I actually don't spend a lot of time on the site myself -
I was surprised at how many photos there are up there when I migrated
it. 🙂

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell Training Services
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.