Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1318 views

weird email

Got an email forwarded to me from my boss, wanting me to check the
validity.

Well, it's a letter from the 'general manager', asking us to add
exceptions to a spam filtering box, allowing their IP addresses to send
email to us as it's being blocked due to being on the spamhaus rbl.

There's a section in there about "how their site is scanned daily" for
malware, etc, and how the emails they send are *not* spam.

A line in there says "There is no legal basis on which to block emails
from our IP addresses."

The domain is wepetitionandlobbyDOTcom, and we do have a pile of emails
from their IP addresses that hit our spam filter and get dropped due to
rbl rules.

There are also some that get blocked by surbl rules, which get checked
by surbl.org.

If they're so concerned about being on spamhaus's rbl, why don't they
do something about getting removed instead of b***hing to possible
recipients asking to be whitelisted.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: weird email

On 05/20/2016 11:37 AM, Stevo wrote:
> Got an email forwarded to me from my boss, wanting me to check the
> validity.
>
> Well, it's a letter from the 'general manager', asking us to add
> exceptions to a spam filtering box, allowing their IP addresses to send
> email to us as it's being blocked due to being on the spamhaus rbl.
>
> There's a section in there about "how their site is scanned daily" for
> malware, etc, and how the emails they send are *not* spam.


This is such a load. If you are doing any proper scanning of data you
own, you do not do it daily, you do it constantly. Even then,
anti-malware scanners are snake oil at best, so their use of this argument
is crap.

> A line in there says "There is no legal basis on which to block emails
> from our IP addresses."


There is no such thing as an illegal reason to block e-mail; e-mail is not
something that must be accepted under the laws of probably any land; it's
not protected speech on the recipient side, though may be on the sender's
side which does not matter to you. It's not being sent by a protected
class. They should get over themselves.

> The domain is wepetitionandlobbyDOTcom, and we do have a pile of emails
> from their IP addresses that hit our spam filter and get dropped due to
> rbl rules.


With a domain name like that, what is the chance they are not crap?

If I were you I'd change your spam filter to block their non-spam messages
(like this) as well as their regularly-scheduled spam program.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: weird email

ab sounds like they 'said':

> With a domain name like that, what is the chance they are not crap?
>
> If I were you I'd change your spam filter to block their non-spam
> messages (like this) as well as their regularly-scheduled spam
> program.


So my response to ab's comment is...

I'm waiting to hear back how the person at our location got said
message, it was a pdf attached that I received.

The gal that sent it to my boss (in our legal dept) is not overly
concerned with it, just wanted someone in I.T. to take a look at it.

I'm not very concerned with it either, just wanted to bounce the info
off folks in here and get their opinions.

The actual message is addressed to one of tptb here, wondering if they
sent it to his personal address or sent a letter or something.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: weird email

Red: Granny, what big eyes you have!
Wolf/Granny: No, I don't.
Red: Oh, okay. In that case, I'll come over and sit closer to you.
Wolf: Nom nom nom.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: weird email

Stevo,
> A line in there says "There is no legal basis on which to block emails
> from our IP addresses."


Are you a government entity?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: weird email

ab sounds like they 'said':

> Red: Granny, what big eyes you have!
> Wolf/Granny: No, I don't.
> Red: Oh, okay. In that case, I'll come over and sit closer to you.
> Wolf: Nom nom nom.


So my response to ab's comment is...

Ha! Apparently the said attachment was sent via snail mail, they then
scanned & emailed it to my boss.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: weird email

Anders Gustafsson sounds like they 'said':

> Stevo,
> > A line in there says "There is no legal basis on which to block
> > emails from our IP addresses."

>
> Are you a government entity?


So my response to Anders's comment is...

County (local) government.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: weird email

Hey Stevo:

>Well, it's a letter from the 'general manager'


I would have tossed the letter on that alone. One black mark.

>A line in there says "There is no legal basis on which to block emails
>from our IP addresses."


As the others said here, I'm not aware of any laws that say you MUST
accept an email and if they say that, 2nd black mark.

>The domain is wepetitionandlobbyDOTcom, and we do have a pile of
>emails from their IP addresses


The domain is bogus. Check their IP address at
http://www.tcpiputils.com/ and look at the "Spam Tools" there. 3rd
black mark.

>If they're so concerned about being on spamhaus's rbl, why don't they
>do something about getting removed instead of b***hing to possible
>recipients asking to be whitelisted.


I get forum feedback all the time from people asking something similar:
"I'm not a spammer, I've never spammed, please unblock me..." and their
IP address is on multiple block lists. They doing this is their 4th
black mark in my mind.

>Got an email forwarded to me from my boss, wanting me to check the
>validity.


Good luck with that. Use the site I list above and tell your boss on
how many block lists they are on.

--
Kim - 5/20/2016 2:07:44 PM
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: weird email

kgroneman sounds like they 'said':

> Good luck with that. Use the site I list above and tell your boss on
> how many block lists they are on.


So my response to kgroneman's comment is...

I checked their domain via mxtoolbox and it did not corrispond to the
ip addresses they sent in the letter, even though the emails attempting
to get in come from those addresses.

I'm not gonna worry about it any more, nor is my boss.

--
Stevo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: weird email - update

Oh, btw, the ip addresses of their supposed mail servers are from
London.


--
Stevo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: weird email

Hey Stevo:

>I'm not gonna worry about it any more, nor is my boss.


good choice.


--
Kim - 5/20/2016 3:23:33 PM
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: weird email

Stevo,
> County (local) government.


OK. Then you might have stricter rules on what to block.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.