Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Fetching a command control rule via REST with 3.5

According to the REST API for PAM 3.5, a GET of /rest/cmdctrl/Policy/rule/{key} will get details of a particular rule. Consider the following output for a GET of /rest/cmdctrl/Policies:

{
  "vrm": "3.5.0-3",
  "status": 200,
  "message": "OK",
  "CCTree": {
    "id": 0,
    "Rule": {
      "id": 1,
      "Rule": [
        {
          "id": 205,
          "key": 2,
          "name": "UNIX (ssh)",
          "type": 0,
          "disabled": 0,
          "ref": 1,
            {
              "id": 221,
              "key": 16,
              "name": "PAM Servers",
              "ref": 1,
                {
                  "id": 212,
                  "key": 9,
                  "name": "pam001 PAM Framework Manager",
                  "ref": 1
                },
                {
                  "id": 213,
                  "key": 10,
                  "name": "pam002 PAM UNIX Agent",
                  "ref": 1
                },

So what is {key} in /rest/cmdctrl/Policy/rule/{key}? Should I "GET /rest/cmdctrl/Policy/rule/10" to get info on "pam002 PAM UNIX Agent" or "GET /rest/cmdctrl/Policy/rule/213"? I have tried both and get back:

{
  "vrm": "3.5.0-3",
  "status": 404,
  "message": "Unable to find the cmdctrl object(s)."
}
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Fetching a command control rule via REST with 3.5

I tried the GET against our PAM 3.2 server and it worked. So, something seems to be off with our installation of 3.5.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I'm thinking if you try 'key' as 16, 9, or 10 that it will find the cmdctrl object. I suspect you are trying with the 'id' and not the 'key' attribute. I did the exact same thing as well before.

Let me know if that did the trick or if there is some other thing that could be an issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I reverted to 3.2 and then upgraded again to 3.5. While the "Try it out" button through the REST API url still does not work, invoking curl from the command-line does work.

I think the problem is that https://<pam host>/rest_api/#/ is wrong for /rest/cmdctrl/Policy/rule/{key}. If you expand this entry, the parameter is "id", not "key". If you enter a value in "id" and then click "Try it out", the curl command URL is:

https:///rest/cmdctrl/Policy/rule/{key}

With some of the other commands, the parameters you enter are displayed in the curl URL. So, I believe this is a bug in the REST API web page. There are other instances where this is a problem as well. I'd recommend trying out every REST URL at https://<pam host>/rest_api/#/.

This is all against PAM 3.5. Will be trying 3.6 soon.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hmm.. I verified 'GET /rest/cmdctrl/Policy/rule/{key}' in 3.6.. For me, the parameter is key and not id, so I suspect this was fixed. Hopefully 3.6 resolve this.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.