rohit_reflex
New Member.

PAM - Rule writing guide

Hi

I have a team working on PAM and wanted to know if we have a Cool solution or any other document which describes Commands and Rule writing for the tool.
Or if someone has good past experience, and they can provide a simple guide or describe on how to go about it for general use cases. The documentation covers it but does not seem to be very intuitive when you actually access the Dashboard.

Regards,
Rohit
0 Likes
6 Replies
AutomaticReply Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: PAM - Rule writing guide

rohit,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit https://www.microfocus.com/support-and-services and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.microfocus.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.microfocus.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.microfocus.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Micro Focus Forums Team
http://forums.microfocus.com

0 Likes
vgulshan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Rohit,

There are different types of rules that you can create in Command Control.
Hence, I would recommend that you try using Template policies available in Command Control which will help you in creating policies and also guide you in creating simple policies in correct way.
Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Gulshan

rohit_reflex;2477880 wrote:
Hi

I have a team working on PAM and wanted to know if we have a Cool solution or any other document which describes Commands and Rule writing for the tool.
Or if someone has good past experience, and they can provide a simple guide or describe on how to go about it for general use cases. The documentation covers it but does not seem to be very intuitive when you actually access the Dashboard.

Regards,
Rohit
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Policy Templates can be imported from the CmdCtrl Console, selecting some rule in the left panel, and then clicking the "Add Policy Template" button on the top-right.
0 Likes
achinayoung_wau Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

The documentation for PAM is very terse. There is almost a complete lack of pictures providing a step-by-step guide as well. It's astonishing. As indicated, best bet is to import some templates and use them as a base for your own templates. You need to put in some hours testing your interpretation of the documentation. It will eventually come together but you'll curse them in the interim.

Micro Focus seriously needs to get a virgin PAM user in a room with the documentation and monitor his progress trying to understand the documentation before rewriting it from scratch.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

I wish I could disagree with you, and say "no you're wrong", but I can't. The virgin PAM user for the PAM 3.2 release was me, and I can honestly say "I agree with you." So the next question may be "Why then don't you fix it?" and the answer is "we are". In PAM 3.2 we took the first set of steps in improving the documentation over previous releases. I know you may find that hard to believe, but it is true. In PAM 3.5 we are taking even more steps, and we are also introducing a new modern user interface that will make many tasks in PAM much much easier. I'll post some videos here in the forums in the next few weeks when we get a few more items really done as we drive toward our July release of PAM 3.5. As part of the 3.5 release not only are we going to make updates to the written doc we are also planning to produce some videos that explain step-by-step how to work with policies and other areas of the product. I'm excited about what we are working on and looking forward to sharing them with you. I will also say that we are planning to have an early doc review draft of the 3.5 documentation available in mid May. If any PAM customer is interested / willing to look at the documentation and provide feedback, then please let me know. The team and I would love customer feedback. So please take heart and know that we are really taking steps to make it better, and we thank you for your patience and working through it.

Respectfully,

Michael Mychalczuk
Dir. Product Management - Privilege and Security Products
0 Likes
rohit_reflex
New Member.

mychalczukm;2479720 wrote:
I wish I could disagree with you, and say "no you're wrong", but I can't. The virgin PAM user for the PAM 3.2 release was me, and I can honestly say "I agree with you." So the next question may be "Why then don't you fix it?" and the answer is "we are". In PAM 3.2 we took the first set of steps in improving the documentation over previous releases. I know you may find that hard to believe, but it is true. In PAM 3.5 we are taking even more steps, and we are also introducing a new modern user interface that will make many tasks in PAM much much easier. I'll post some videos here in the forums in the next few weeks when we get a few more items really done as we drive toward our July release of PAM 3.5. As part of the 3.5 release not only are we going to make updates to the written doc we are also planning to produce some videos that explain step-by-step how to work with policies and other areas of the product. I'm excited about what we are working on and looking forward to sharing them with you. I will also say that we are planning to have an early doc review draft of the 3.5 documentation available in mid May. If any PAM customer is interested / willing to look at the documentation and provide feedback, then please let me know. The team and I would love customer feedback. So please take heart and know that we are really taking steps to make it better, and we thank you for your patience and working through it.

Respectfully,

Michael Mychalczuk
Dir. Product Management - Privilege and Security Products

Hi Michael,

I as the one who originally posted this.
Do we have the draft documentation ready? I can look at it and review it. We are in the process of building a team and also working with a few customers for PAM and might be in a position to provide reviews.

Regards
Rohit
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.