Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

PC Server vs. ALM Platform + PC Extensions

Jump to solution

I am a ALM QC administrator (both for the systems and the HP software) new to LoadRunner and Performance Center.  I am trying to understand the PC system architecture and could use some help.

Looking in the PC v11 Installation Guide I find a diagram and definitions for the various pieces of a PC/LR configuration.  The diagram and definitions talk about the "ALM Platform + PC Extensions" and the "PC Server".

What is the difference between these two systems?  I mean, I know what the ALM Platform is, but I'm not getting why it is needed and why it would need to be separate from the PC Server.

These are the descriptions from the document.

ALM Platform. Provides a platform for core ALM functionality.

HP Performance Center Extension. Installed on the ALM Platform,

enables Performance Center functionality. Creates the Lab Management

project where Performance Center administration is managed.

HP Performance Center Server. Hosts the Performance Center Web pages

that enable you to design performance tests, configure monitors, reserve

testing resources, run and monitor test runs, and analyze test results.

Do you have to have an ALM Platform in the configuration?  Does it have to be separate from the PC Server or can one system serve both purposes?

Later in the document it discusses load on the systems.  It doesn't talk about the ALM Platform at all, but for the PC Server it says:

Heavy load.

To balance the load, the ALM Platform has

built in load balancing capabilities.

For additional load balancing support, you can

install multiple Performance Center Servers.

I would really appreciate it if somebody can help clarify this.  I feel like I've run into a mental brick wall.  Thanks!

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. Craig_Drummond Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: PC Server vs. ALM Platform + PC Extensions

Jump to solution

Trudy,

Starting with Performance Center 11 the tool is completely integrated with ALM.  The extensions enable this integration and provide for the Performance Test Object type and the Lab Management project which is the bridge that allows for multiple ALM projects to share the resources of Hosts (controller and generators) and time slots.  The extensions are installed on the ALM servers.

All of the user, domain, project functions of Performance Center are now controlled by the ALM platform (the Site Administration link)  This is why the ALM platform is required.

The Performance Center Server (PCS) is the home of the My Performance Center web site and is responsible for Performance Center specific licensing (concurrent runs, virtual users, and protocols) as well as editing performance center scenarios and the execution of load tests.  The PCS should be installed on its own dedicated server and just like you can have multiple ALM servers you can also have multiple PCS servers.  When you have multiple ALM, PCS or both multiple ALM and PCS servers the internal (but not external) communications are load balanced automatically without the need for any additional hardware or software.

There are some functions of Performance Center that are not possible to perform in My Performance Center.  Things like the initial directory creation in the test plan and test lab tabs, Topologies, and Time Slots as well as all of the actions of the Site Administration, Lab Management and tasks around requirements and defects must be performed using the ALM Client that is downloaded and runs in your browser just like Quality Center

The PCS is responsible for all communications to Performance Center Hosts that are designated as Controllers (Host Controller).  The the Host Controllers are responsible for communication with Performance Center Hosts that are designated as Generators (Host Generators) as well as Stand Alone Generators (SA Generator)

There are three different configurations for ALM now

ALM with Quality Center

ALM with Performance Center

ALM with both Quality Center and Performance Center aka Application Lifecyle Management  

The software that you install for each of this is the same (except that for ALM with PC and ALM with both QC and PC requires that the PC Extensions be installed where ALM with QC does not) and the type of install that you have is controlled by the ALM license.

I would consider very long and hard before you combine your QC and PC into one instance.  There are many benefits like combined management of users, domains, projects, etc) but there are also some other considerations.  The QC development team releases updates and patches nearly once a month.  If you are on a combined environment you can not just automatically install the latest QC patches, you must wait for the PC development team to release a patch that supports the latest QC patches.  The PC team releases patches approximately every 3 or 4 months.  Using a combined environment also requires that you purchase ALM client licenses for every concurrent QC and PC user

I am glad to hear that you are getting a walk through demonstration of the tool because trying to explain everything in a forum post could take quite a bit but if you have additional questions let the forum know and we can try to provide the answers that you need

Craig Drummond

4 Replies
Highlighted
Steven Hulse Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy!

Give me a little bit and I can get you the info. I'm going throught the process as well. PC is a large system and can somewhat be a little tempermental. It's a realy impressive system so going through the documentation throughly is highly recommended.

Right now I'm stuck at getting the two to integrate. Long story and I'll have to post it here later as I have a meeting to run off to.

Steve

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Steve,

I look forward to whatever information you'll be able to share.

I was able to get a little more info from people in another division of my company that have been using the tool. They basically said the ALM platform is required but they didn't really explain it. Nor did I get an explanation about what the PC Server really does. But we're going to have HP give us a product walkthrough and demo. Hopefullyt that will clear up some of the mystery.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Craig_Drummond Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Trudy,

Starting with Performance Center 11 the tool is completely integrated with ALM.  The extensions enable this integration and provide for the Performance Test Object type and the Lab Management project which is the bridge that allows for multiple ALM projects to share the resources of Hosts (controller and generators) and time slots.  The extensions are installed on the ALM servers.

All of the user, domain, project functions of Performance Center are now controlled by the ALM platform (the Site Administration link)  This is why the ALM platform is required.

The Performance Center Server (PCS) is the home of the My Performance Center web site and is responsible for Performance Center specific licensing (concurrent runs, virtual users, and protocols) as well as editing performance center scenarios and the execution of load tests.  The PCS should be installed on its own dedicated server and just like you can have multiple ALM servers you can also have multiple PCS servers.  When you have multiple ALM, PCS or both multiple ALM and PCS servers the internal (but not external) communications are load balanced automatically without the need for any additional hardware or software.

There are some functions of Performance Center that are not possible to perform in My Performance Center.  Things like the initial directory creation in the test plan and test lab tabs, Topologies, and Time Slots as well as all of the actions of the Site Administration, Lab Management and tasks around requirements and defects must be performed using the ALM Client that is downloaded and runs in your browser just like Quality Center

The PCS is responsible for all communications to Performance Center Hosts that are designated as Controllers (Host Controller).  The the Host Controllers are responsible for communication with Performance Center Hosts that are designated as Generators (Host Generators) as well as Stand Alone Generators (SA Generator)

There are three different configurations for ALM now

ALM with Quality Center

ALM with Performance Center

ALM with both Quality Center and Performance Center aka Application Lifecyle Management  

The software that you install for each of this is the same (except that for ALM with PC and ALM with both QC and PC requires that the PC Extensions be installed where ALM with QC does not) and the type of install that you have is controlled by the ALM license.

I would consider very long and hard before you combine your QC and PC into one instance.  There are many benefits like combined management of users, domains, projects, etc) but there are also some other considerations.  The QC development team releases updates and patches nearly once a month.  If you are on a combined environment you can not just automatically install the latest QC patches, you must wait for the PC development team to release a patch that supports the latest QC patches.  The PC team releases patches approximately every 3 or 4 months.  Using a combined environment also requires that you purchase ALM client licenses for every concurrent QC and PC user

I am glad to hear that you are getting a walk through demonstration of the tool because trying to explain everything in a forum post could take quite a bit but if you have additional questions let the forum know and we can try to provide the answers that you need

Craig Drummond

Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Craig,

Thank you very much for that explanation. It was extremely helpful!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.