By Default PM should be able to Edit Approved Budget

Idea ID 2692013

By Default PM should be able to Edit Approved Budget

I am wondering why would the default setting for the Project Financial Summary not have even the PMs with the ability to edit approved budget or set plan of record. In additional to the ‘edit Approved Budget’ access grant, user must be added individually for this to work. Any justifications?

setting.png

The Financial Management User manual (starting on page 77) goes into the details of the different settings and tie between the Project Settings (Project Security) section which further governs access to who can control/view the financial summary BUT it does not provide a justification for the default settings or a means to change without manually changing each time.

3 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Hi Akash,

As I already explained by email before, my assumption is that since PPM is all about process enforcement, in an ideal world you would have a person in charge of budgets that will capture these budgets in PPM. You do not want to allow PMs to enter whatever values they want in the system, since technically they are NOT the persons in charge of deciding/tracking the budgets.

That being said, a likely more common approach is that budgets are indeed defined somewhere outside of PPM, and Project Managers are the ones responsible to capture all project information in PPM (which is still the projects' single source of truth), including the approved budget information. But the official source of truth for the approved budget is somewhere else (the company financial system, be it SAP or anything else), so there's no point for PMs to capture a value different from the reference one. 
Obviously, it's better if you can automate Budget value sync, as if PPM is not the reference tool for this value you want to try to automate sync from the actual reference tool and avoid tedious & error-prone manual data copy from one system to the other (there's SOAP Web Services for managing budgets).

It would be interesting to hear from the PPM Community whether it would make more sense in a PPM "default" deployment to just let PMs edit Projects' FS Budget information by default, so I've opened this idea for votes.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Thanks Etienne. Looking forward to other feedbacks.

I would just add my feedback.

-It is true that PPM is never a source system of Financial information. However, given the value PPM bring to the business, customer brings that information in PPM automatically or manually. Most small and medium size customers do not get to integrate all systems.

PPM is about accountability and ownership. PM owns the project and it would make sense to allow him to be the default owner of this information.

Lets hear from others pls!

Pls vote!!!

SandraL Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

This is something I have also asked for before.

Our budgets are also set outside of PPM; and manually entered in PPM by the project manager so we can track actuals against the budget.

Optimally, we would like an option where we can configure the default to allow the project managers to enter/update the budgets.

Without this feature, our project managers have extra steps they always have to do in order  to configure themselves access to their project's budget.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.