Options not to update existing user information of the LDAP import

Idea ID 2698363

Re: Options not to update existing user information of the LDAP import - Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Currently the LDAP import functionality will import the LDAP users to PPM and it will also find the matched user that already exist in PPM and update the corresponding information accordingly. We would like to have an option to control whether to update the user information of the existing user or not.

5 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Hi Kelly,

I'll open this idea for votes, but if I may ask, what's the justification for now updating existing users with LDAP information? Shouldn't LDAP be your single source of information? Why would you update something in PPM after user is created to not align with LDAP info?

HKJC Kelly Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Etienne,

Agreed that LDAP should be a single source of information.

Currently we actually do not use the LDAP import job for importing the user information to PPM, the reason is because we cannot find the parameter in AD which can match the user information (e.g the first name) in PPM. And therefore, we now manually input the user information in workbench instead of import the data from AD. We do not want the LDAP import job to automatically overwrite the user information we manually input in workbench when we sync the information from AD.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Kelly,

You may want to open a ticket with Support to get help on how to configure user information mapping from LDAP. I assume that user name info is there somewhere in LDAP/AD, you just need to set this up properly.

All the customers I know with LDAP integration are synchronizing fields to PPM, so I doubt many other customers here will have your problem and thus vote for this idea. 

HKJC Kelly Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Etienne,

Agreed that user name information had already been saved in AD. However for our case, our AD did not save the information we wanted to map to PPM.

Take the below as an example, in AD, the user name was saved as below.

givenName = Peter    ,    initials = T M    ,    sn = Chan

But, we would like the information to save in PPM as like below.

first name = Peter T M    ,    last name = Chan

We do not want to map just the given name in AD to the first name in PPM, we would like to include the initial also, as this can prevent the confusion of user with same first name and last name.And, currently for our AD, there is not a parameter stored the combination of the first name together with the initial.

And, I had actually checked with the support team, that it seems not possible to have the mapping on the configuration file for the combination of two fields in AD. Please correct me if I got any misunderstandings here. Thanks!

MIF Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi,

As a workaround you may copy LDAP Import report and add additional functionality to run an Oracle procedure to update first name with initials. Just my two cents.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.