Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.

Save existing request without entering all mandatory fields

Idea ID 1766128

Save existing request without entering all mandatory fields

Save existing request without entering all mandatory fields.

Tags (1)
11 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

It should be possible to save a request without having all mandatory fields entered.

It's possible to do it while the request is not yet created (draft), but once it's submitted,  you cannot save it while mandatory fields are left empty, which leads to loss of work when it takes a long time to get the value of a given field.

Current design justification is that we want to make sure that fields  flagged as mandatory always have a value in the System, for reporting purposes mostly. Saving a request without some mandatory fields (even if you don't try to move to the next step) might create new problems for UI rules - this is a risky change, which was already tried in the 9.2X days but failed to work properly and was rolled back eventually.

SandraL Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

We also need that feature.

I end up having to guess at the values for new required fields when all I want to do is add a note to the request; or cancel it.

Trusted Contributor.. ScottW1 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

This is a design issue from the PPM administrator's perspective..  Draft mode is available and you can wait until transition to require fields.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Scott,

As far as I know Draft mode is only available for new requests, not in the middle of the workflow; also, PPM Admins in charge of workflow configuration may not realize when getting the value of a mandatory field will require to make a phone call to a different person and eventually having to wait in the middle of filling the fields of the request - so saving the work-in-progress without mandatory fields would definitely be helpful.

Trusted Contributor.. ScottW1 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

To workaround this issue, I use the require upon moving to a new status instead of current status.  It works very well, although you may end up have transitory statuses (statuses used to just require a specific grouping of fields or to support fields that should be required upon transition, but view only after the transition is complete).  I have been working with PPM/ITG/Kintana since v5

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@ScottW1 Thanks a lot for the insight of a Kintana veteran, it's always extremely valuable. I assume that the purpose of this ER is to avoid having to create transitory statuses - most of our customers' workflows and statuses lists are complex enough already, and any mean to keep things as simple as can be is always welcome. The high number of votes on this ER is a sign that this usability pain is quite common among PPM admins & users.

SandraL Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

For maintainability, I agree we definitely prefer to keep things as simple as possible (where it makes sense).

One of the scenarios where we need this feature is when we add new required fields to an existing request. At that time, all previous requests will normally be missing data in the new field. We will want that field filled in before moving to the next state (except "Cancel" maybe an exception). However, we still want to be able to add "Notes" or update other fields and save that information in the current state -- while we don't yet know the value that should be entered into the new required field.

The way it works now, I can't update anything in the request without filling in the new required field. So I have to guess at a value for the new field (which is likely wrong), just to be able to add a status Note or make an update to another field. I would rather have an empty field, than a wrong value at that point.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

There were 2 methods which worked for me

1 . Don't make any fields mandatory in one status on click of  button make fields which have to be mandatory by adding a execution step which has new status , now all fields will be prompted , where users will have Save Progress button but they might end up confused if they don't proceed to next step without clicking on Continue Workflow Action. I think this is already suggested in above comments

2. By modifying the JSP( which is not suggested)  was able to achieve this and working perfectly fine since 3 to 4 years only drawback is attachments in the request references will not be saved, for that users have to click on a button to save the attachments in the request reference.

Regads,

Vinay

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Accepted

We started working on this feature, it should be part of next PPM version.

However, one potential concern that we've identified is that UI Rules results (on field change) will not persist through saving/loading the request.

For example, if you change a field A and that it makes the field B mandatory through a UI rule, if you save the request and then reload it, upon reload the field B will not be mandatory, even with field A holding the modified value.

The workaround is to create some UI rules on field load (and not on field change) that will take effect when the request is loaded.

Just like every new PPM feature since 9.53, this feature can be turned on/off from the Admin Console "Feature Toggle" and comes disabled by default. So far we have only made that a System-level feature, not a setting per request type or per workflow step. 

The lucky EDRP customers here can already test the feature on PPM Beta environment, it's the button "Save for Later" at the top of the Request Details page:

clipboard_image_0.png

Comments are welcome as usual.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.