Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.

Strategic Theme and KPI relationship

Idea ID 2742933

Strategic Theme and KPI relationship

As a user, I would like to link shared or private KPIs to Strategic Theme, so that in my proposals and projects only related to selected Strategic Theme KPIs should be shown and enabled for tracking and rolled up into Program and Portfolio level.

3 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Already Offered

Hi,

It is already possible to group KPIs (or more exactly Business Goals) under a specific Strategic Theme. This was introduced in PPM 9.53 (or was it 9.54?).

In the business Goal page, you have a drop down list where you can specify which Strategic Theme this Goal/KPI aligns with.

Once this is done, the strategic theme (and its color) will be displayed next to the Goal in the Portfolio Strategy page.

clipboard_image_0.png

This also has two effects:

- When clicking on a Strategic Theme in the list, the related Goals/KPIs will be highlighted.

- When a Project/Proposal/Asset owner selects a Strategic Theme to align with in the Details Strategy Section, it will "hide" (i.e. gray out)  all the KPIs that are not aligned with the selected Strategic theme (unless they already have some KPI impacts defined). Of course, they can decide to show them back in case the initiative does provide some impact on the KPIs that are not aligned with the selected Strategic Theme.

It's in fact rare that an Initiative only provides impact on the KPIs of a single Strategic Theme, so we want to keep that capability to define impact for any KPI that is seen as valuable for the overall portfolio Strategy, not only the KPIs of the Strategic Theme the initiative aligns with.
For this reason, we have no plan currently to completely remove the KPIs that are not related with the selected Strategic Theme from the Initiative's strategy section.

Thanks,

Etienne.

Commander
Commander

Many thanks for your time and clarification.

I suppose I could not express a full picture of the requirement. Our customers have a strong requirement to have an (additional) option to define a hierarchical way of defining strategies (or business objectives) and KPIs globally across all platforms that should be applied for all portfolios and would allow users to select strategy and related to that KPIs in the projects/proposals and programs of those portfolios. Sometimes it is two levels, sometimes more. Somehow I thought it can be mapped to the option to have shared strategies and share KPI's linked per strategy.

We always can implement it through standard custom fields, custom portlets, and dashboards, but in this case, the customer missing nice OOTB features/charts/aggregation of Portfolio Management. 

Anyway thanks for the very nice explanation, we will see how we can use it specifically in our use cases. 

Kindly Regards, 

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. FYI, in next PPM version (9.61, tentatively planned for release at the end of May), we've added an improvement of Strategic Themes hierarchy management. 

Until now, to define the Strategic Themes of a portfolio, you either picked only all Global Strategic Themes, or you only picked all the parent Portfolio's Strategic Themes, or you defined some Strategic Themes at the portfolio level. 

From 9.61 onward, you will  be able to mix the Strategic Themes origins: You can pick some from the Global Strategic Themes list, some from the parent Portfolio's, and add some specific Strategic Themes at the portfolio level.

Each portfolio will still need to define their own Business Goal - as how you deliver on the strategic themes and measure value is still specific to each portfolio; but this will at least give more flexibility for picking only the relevant Strategic Themes  from parent or Global list while defining a Portfolio strategy.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.