Erik Cole Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

9.40 and operational reporting

Does upgrading to 9.40 break the Business Objects-based operational reporting solution? I'm getting errors in my test environment after upgrading from 9.32, and trying to find the root cause.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: 9.40 and operational reporting

Hello Eric,

For using Operational Report in PPM 9.40 you should use the content pack 4.0, 9.40 only works with this content pack, also I would like to highlight that BO is discontinued and you would not get support from HPE if you have issues with this.

You can find the content pack in the following link.

https://lnast01pmp.saas.hpe.com/contentoffering/operational-reports-content-project-and-portfolio-management-0

Also I would suggest to use excel reports instead.

Francisco Morales
Customer Support Engineer
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

We do use the Excel reporting solution, but we also have a significant investment in the Business Objects solution so although it is no longer supported, we're hoping that future upgrades/patches don't break that solution. And there's a big difference between "unsupported" and "broken".

I'll look into CP4 and see if it resolves our issues. I'm glad to hear that HP is still producing CPs!

Thanks

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.. Kari Vannieuwen Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Hi Francisco,

Why are you suggesting using Excel Reporting over Business Objects?  We are looking to install Operational Reporting for the 1st time when we upgrade to 9.4.  Our company currently has Business Objects, and it sounds like we could take that and connect to the Operational Reporting DB, therefore having a more advanced BI tool connecting to that data. 

I'm not all that familiar with the Excel Reporting.  Is it as interactive as Business Objects as what can be developed in Business Objects?

Eric,

Have you created a lot of adhoc reports outside of the User Guide Ad-hoc reports? 

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Kari, the bundled Business Objects reporting solution based on BOXI 3.1 is no longer supported by HP and BOXI 3.1 is no longer supported by SAP either. You can still use it, but they're not (officially) supporting it or creating new content for it.

/t5/Project-and-Portfolio-Management/ALERT-SAP-BusinessObjects-Enterprise-BOE-v3-1-End-of-Support-Dec/td-p/6713262

We do have many project and financial reports developed in Business Objects, so our current plan is to continue using the solution until something forces our hand (some PPM upgrade/patch "breaks" it) or we replace the reports with another solution organically.

If you already have another version of Business Objects, it may be possible to install the HP-supplied version in order to get the database/ETL/universes built and then port them over to your current BO environment. As far as I have seen, the HP service packs for BO do not affect the BO installation itself, just the database tables & ETL code, so this might be a viable solution if you want to use your current BO environment & toolset.

Another solution, depending on your tolerance for queries hitting your transactional db, is to just use your current BO toolset to report against the existing PPM db.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.