Chris18 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Assigning resources on program level in 9.41

Hello forum!

I understood the HPE/MF presentations on the new program functionality in a way that it would be possible to request and assign resources directly to the program level. Now I am looking for a staffing profile in our programs, but can't find how to create one. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Thanks,

/Chris

0 Likes
7 Replies
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Assigning resources on program level in 9.41

I just found out yesterday, that this is a misunderstanding. Resource management is not possible on the program level and it is not in any plans either.

/Chris

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Amishra Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi Chris,

I guess, you have answered yourself 🙂 Basically, what we do is have a "program-project" (In other words create a proejct that will only capture resources /tasks working for the program; the resources can then timesheet to this "program-project") It might sound weird but this is how it is.... We do this as we need program resources to clock their time; however in 9.42 there is this concept of 'Timesheeting at the program level'; we might explore that when we upgrade to next version.

Regards,
Ajay Mishra
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

It's kind of the opposite of what we want to accomplish, but interesting solution anyway.

What we are after is assigning resources on the program level and reporting time on the individual project tasks. This is useful for the maintenance organization, where a "project" is actually an application and resource management on that level is far too granular. A program in this context would be similar to a maintenance object, where we would be able to plan for the object and follow up time and cost on the application level.

Thanks,

/Chris

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Chris,

You're not entirely correct when you write "it is not in any plans". The reality is more like "there are no short term plans to implement it".

In PPM 9.4X we did implement top-down budgeting between Program & Projects, where you can define your total budget at the program level and assign program budget to the various projects based on their demand.

I think that I can say that it is on our "Long Term Roadmap" (without any commitment on an eventual delivery date) to provide the same top-down capabilities for Resource Management, i.e. define a supply of resources (possibly through a Staffing Profile with assignments) at the Program level, and distribute these resources to the projects based on their resources demand.

This feature surely won't be in next PPM version, but at this point it is one of the candidates we're considering for the future releases - and FYI it was already in the candidates features when we did plan 9.42 as well as the version we're currently working on. 

Cheers,

Etienne.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for this enlightening answer Etienne! Not only does it give hope for the future, it also explains why I got this wrong. 😃

/Chris

0 Likes
Super Contributor.. kintanadan Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

I'm wondering if one could make a custom Program Details RT, and a custom Program Details RHT setting the field group as: PFM Program.  Perhaps it would be possible to add a new field to this custom request using the Staffing Profile Component.

Just a thought.

🐵

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Dan,

This would likely work fine to get a program level dedicated staffing profile, but what most users are after is some top-down resource management capability: You want projects in a program to only pick resources from the resources already allocated to the program-level staffing profile - and so far this is not (yet?) possible.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.