Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Comparison of PPM on Linux Vs Windows inhouse

is there any direct comparison available based on user experience in terms of page loads service schedules?

Any differnece with respect to system maintenqnce?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Lieutenant Commander Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hello,

Are there any performance differences?

Never hear any difference

There are not reported any performance differences

Are there any known stability differences?
Never hear any difference

Is there any difference in Database integration?
You may refer to the compatibility matrix http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1010296 for supported database versions

Within *nix, do you recommend Linux? or Unix? any specific Unix version that is showing the best results?
There is no HP official document to compare the performance, you may refer to the compatibility matrix to make sure you are using a supported version

For sizing recommendations you may open a case with support team for sizing recommendations because all depends of the hardware, network, traffic, etc. So each configuration is different.
We should use the same maintenance on both OS.

Hope it helps,

Steven

0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

I dont have empherical data, but its gerneally agreed that Red Hat Linux is the fastest host for PPM 9.x.  RHEL and Windows are the two most popular and best supported platforms.  We used to have HP-UX and it truly felt like we were the only customer experiencing specific problems and getting HP to fix them also seemed like a lower priority.  

There is a nice PPM sizing XLS that support can provide.  You enter some sizing quantities and macros calculate the number and size of the PPM nodes, DB H/W, and DB size.  Let me know if they cant provide it.  

Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I'd personally advise to use Linux to host PPM if and only if you have properly skilled linux admins available. If that's not the case, PPM will run fine on Windows Server. I think that the admins are more important than the operating system hosting the JVM that will run PPM - though that's just my two cents.

To reply to morrisdl on the HP-UX "lower priority", this feeling is likely caused by the fact that in PPM R&D, most developers are using Windows development machine to run PPM, and most QA Lab PPM environments are running Linux (Red Hat mostly, some Suse & CentOS too). So it's natural that these environments get more testing coverage as a by-product of the PPM Development.

We do certify every new release of PPM on more exotic environments (HP-UX & AIX, I'm looking at you), but the testing coverage cannot be as extensive as an OS that everyone in R&D uses on a daily basis. 
Also, when we meet an issue that's specific to HP-UX or AIX, it's unlikley that we have an environment ready in R&D Lab with the exact PPM version to reproduce the issue & troubleshoot it - so it can take time to set it up, leading to longer response time. 

So, as a summary: pick either Windows or whatever supported flavor of Linux you're most familiar with. Other OS'es from the PPM Support matrix are also supported, but if like many customers you're looking at migrating from HP-UX or AIX to Linux, don't hesitate to ask for HPE support for help , we'll be very glad to help you move.

Thanks,

Etienne.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.