Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Create Blank Workplan option missing on new project type

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am having some trouble with a new project type I created and was hoping someone could help me out.

With all of our existing project types, when a new project is created, the following options exist:

Create blank work plan
Create work plan from a template...
Create work plan from another project...

When I create a new project type, the option for Create blank work plan is gone, but the other two remain.  Is there a setting I am missing somewhere maybe?  I also attempted to copy an existing project type to create the new type and ran into the same thing.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Create Blank Workplan option missing on new project type

Jump to solution
There is a way, though not really recommended. Leave that section of the Project Type open to the let the PMs change its value. That way, the PMs that want to use MSP can set it to shared control and those that don't want to use it can leave it at PPM Control.

Another option, also not exactly high on the recommendation list, would be to create two different project types: one for the shared control and one for the PPM control. You would need to know which to use when the project starts, and can still use the same request types and workflow so that reporting and process wouldn't be impacted.

So, there are ways to do what you want, just not in a one size fits all manner.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Do you have a workplan template defined in the Project Type? If there is one set, you cannot create a blank workplan. Here is the text preceeding this setting:

Work Plan Template
Select a default work plan template to use when creating new work plans. The work plan template selected here will provide the user with guidance when creating a work plan for the project. If this policy is enforced, then new project work plans can only be created from this template. Changes to this setting, even if enforced, do not impact existing project work plans.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

No, I don't.  I've attached a couple screenshots of my settings.  Is the shared control what's doing it?  That's one of the things that I made different in this project type.  (If that's my issue, is there a way to allow back and forth integration with MS Project AND still offer other users the option to create workplans within the same project type?)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Yes, that would do it, too. The point of the shared control is that MSP controls the workplan, so the workplan is to be created and updated in MSP then uploaded into PPM and actuals would collected through PPM to be sent back to MSP. Depending on what you need to do with MSP, you could leave the setting at PPM Control and just export to MSP, but to get the back and forth, you need to use the Shared Control.
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Okay, that makes sense.  So it sounds like there's no way then, to set the default options to give the user the choice between creating the work plan in PPM or creating/maintaining it in Project?  (We have some users who prefer to use Project and others who don't want to be bothered with it)  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
There is a way, though not really recommended. Leave that section of the Project Type open to the let the PMs change its value. That way, the PMs that want to use MSP can set it to shared control and those that don't want to use it can leave it at PPM Control.

Another option, also not exactly high on the recommendation list, would be to create two different project types: one for the shared control and one for the PPM control. You would need to know which to use when the project starts, and can still use the same request types and workflow so that reporting and process wouldn't be impacted.

So, there are ways to do what you want, just not in a one size fits all manner.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks so much.  That's very helpful.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.