mgen72
Visitor.

Create work plan from a .mpp file

Hello.

I have PPM 9.40.

I'm aware of the synchronization modes between PPM and Microsoft but I don't need to synchronize with Microsoft Project.

I don't have Microsoft Project, but I have some .mpp files sent by some partners.
I'd like to create a work plan in a project in PPM from a .mpp file.
Is that possible?

Thank you very much,

M. Gen.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Outstanding Contributor.. Amishra Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Create work plan from a .mpp file

Hi there,

To upload .mpp file as a workplan in PPM is provided in 9.41 and above versions. For lower versions you will have to have msp plugin installed.

From 9.41 onwards you have additional settings in the Project settings page, whereby you can define what controls the workplan mode.

Refer attached. 

Regards,
Ajay Mishra
0 Likes
mgen72
Visitor.

Thank you very much Ajay Mishra.

So, in 9.41 version, you can upload a work plan from a .mpp file, but I want to be sure that it is not required to have Microsoft Project on the client computer. I mean, my users don't have Microsoft Project, but they receive from their providers .mpp files, and my users just want to upload them like workplans in their PPM projects. They don't need to synchronize with MS Project, because, in fact, they don't have that product.

Do you need to have Microsoft Project installed in your computer to upload the .mpp file onto the PPM 9.41?

Thank you,

M. Gen.

0 Likes
Diego_S_PPM Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

What you are looking for is available in PPM 9.41 with the drag and drop functionality. In the project under the Workplan portlet you can drag and drop an .mpp file. First you should go to the project settings and enable any of the options under Upload And Download MPP File from PPM options in Microsoft Project Integration settings. Then the option to create a workplan from an mpp file will be available. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

And to answer your last question, no, you do not need to have MS Project installed on your client (nor server) computer for PPM to be able to import work plans from MPP format. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.