Absent Member.. mcmunnd1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Disallowing manual entry to non labor cost

Jump to solution

We would like our Project Managers (PMs) to be able to add labor costs to the financial summary, but not add non labor costs.  I have added and removed access grants to no avail.  It seems that by removing access from PMs to not add non labor costs to financial summary, we also remove their access to add labor costs. There is a  Cost and Effort setting for Financial Summary that indicates we could divide the two on the cost financial summary, but that seems to be getting overridden. What is overriding that selection?

thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rc9 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Disallowing manual entry to non labor cost

Jump to solution

Hi,

The setting under Project settings -> Cost and Effort -> Financial Management -> Costs on the Financial Summary indicate whether Actual Labor Cost/Actual Non labor cost on the financial summary should be rolled up from Workplan. If you enable these settings, these costs from the Workplan rollup to Financial summary. Users will not be able to manually create these lines on the financial summary directly if these settings are enabled. (*Calculate the actual labor costs from the work plan and time sheets. *Calculate the actual non-labor costs from the work plan.)

Looks like you are looking for an option where PMs should not be able to add only 'non-labor' lines manually on Financial summary. If I understand correctly, you are not rolling up this cost from the workplan. The functionality you are looking for seems to be an Enhancement request. There is no setting on the Financial Summary to enter only labor lines. Such functionality can be customized through Professional Services.

If you would like an Enhancement Request to be logged for this functionality, please raise a support ticket so we can assist you.

Thanks

Raji

6 Replies
Trusted Contributor.. Jeison_R_PPM Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello mcmunnd1,

You might want to check in the Project settings > Cost and Effort and Finnancial Management, there you can enable the finnancial management for the workplan.

As this option is getting overrided on your case, you can check if the checkbox "Allow manual adjustment on actual non-labor cost" is checked, if so, please uncheck it and try.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Jason

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thank you Jason,

Those have been and still are unchecked.  They seem to be getting overridden and I don't know why.

0 Likes
rc9 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

The setting under Project settings -> Cost and Effort -> Financial Management -> Costs on the Financial Summary indicate whether Actual Labor Cost/Actual Non labor cost on the financial summary should be rolled up from Workplan. If you enable these settings, these costs from the Workplan rollup to Financial summary. Users will not be able to manually create these lines on the financial summary directly if these settings are enabled. (*Calculate the actual labor costs from the work plan and time sheets. *Calculate the actual non-labor costs from the work plan.)

Looks like you are looking for an option where PMs should not be able to add only 'non-labor' lines manually on Financial summary. If I understand correctly, you are not rolling up this cost from the workplan. The functionality you are looking for seems to be an Enhancement request. There is no setting on the Financial Summary to enter only labor lines. Such functionality can be customized through Professional Services.

If you would like an Enhancement Request to be logged for this functionality, please raise a support ticket so we can assist you.

Thanks

Raji

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thank you Raji - you are correct in that is what I am looking for (and not reading the words that way).

I will submit an enhancement request.

On a related question, how can a person add non-labor costs in a work plan?

0 Likes
rc9 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

First of all, you need to enable the setting "Enable Financial Management for work plan" under Project Settings -> Cost and Effort tab.

Once this is enabled, you can see Cost tab added to the task along with schedule/Resources/Notifications etc.

Once you click the Cost tab on the workplan task, you can see non-labor cost option for both Planned and Actual Cost.

Please note that you can control how labor cost for Planned/Actual can be calculated either Automatically or manually. The following options under Project Settings -> Cost and Effort -> Financial Management control them

-- Automatically calculated based on Scheduled (Or Actual ) Effort and rates

-- Manually entered on tasks rolled up to summary tasks

However, non-labor cost on the  workplan task is always manually entered.

Going back to our previous discussion, I also want to give you a hint on what controls labor/non-labor lines on the Financial Summary so it can help you to understand the functionality.

There is a validation called "CST - Budget Line Type" and this validation seems to determine if users can add a Labor line or non-labor line to the Financial Summary.

As you are already aware that any changes to out of the box validations are not recommended, please request for an Enhancement Request so Product  Management will have more visibility into your request.

Hope this helps

Raji.

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thank you Raji again.  I will look into this further.

Donna

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.