pepdwill Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

General Config Settings Question - Database

While reviewing our PPM config parameters to assess database performance I came across the parameters below, and was hoping someone with knowledge of these settings could chime in.  These are in relation to the max # of database connections. 

com.kintana.core.server.MAX_DASHBOARD_DB_CONNECTIONS = 50

com.kintana.core.server.MAX_DB_CONNECTIONS = 60

com.kintana.core.server.MAX_ITG_DB_CONNECTIONS = 100

- What is the difference between the Max DB Connections parameter and the Max ITG DB Connections parameters?

- If we have the max connections set to 60 or 100, and the Dashboard connections set to 50, would that mean other areas of PPM could be slowing down due to most of the connections being in use?  Is there any way to know this?

- What would be the best way to know whether we should increase these values?

- Are there any recommendations anyone could share from their own implementation (or experience with these parameters)?

Thank you!

Danny

0 Likes
2 Replies
CGut Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: General Config Settings Question - Database

Hello Danny,

I found some information in similar cases:

MAX_DASHBOARD_DB_CONNECTIONS is the max concurrency connections to handle user logon operation.

MAX_ITG_DB_CONNECTIONS is for other connections between database and PPMC.

MAX_DB_CONNECTIONS determines the maximum size of the database connection pool that the
PPM Server creates.

Maximum size of each of the two database connection pools that the PPM Server creates.Each user does not get a dedicated connection.The server uses connection pooling, so it opens a new database connection only if noconnections are available in the pool. After this number is reached, user sessions queue for the next available database
connection.

The old default values for the old parameters are:
com.kintana.core.server.MAX_ITG_DB_CONNECTIONS=60
com.kintana.core.server.MAX_DASHBOARD_DB_CONNECTIONS=20

MAX_DB_CONNECTIONS = MAX_ITG_DB_CONNECTIONS + MAX_DASHBOARD_DB_CONNECTIONS

Now the default value for MAX_DB_CONNECTIONS is 60 in the guide.

for example, The minimum value for 6 nodes should be:

MAX_DB_CONNECTIONS = 480 = (6*60) + (6*20)

Please note that after changing the MAX_DB_CONNECTIONS parameter you will have to change the PROCESSES parameter in the Oracle database.

Also I am attaching you the install/ admin guide for PPM 9.20 for more information.

Hope this helps.
Carolina Gutierrez.

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
CGut Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: General Config Settings Question - Database

Hello Danny,

I would like to know if my answer helped you or if you need further assistance? if yes could you please mark it as accept as a solution ?

Do not forget to give kudos.

Best Regards,

Carolina.

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.