Absent Member.. ScQuinn Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hardware Loadbalancer Health Monitor

Hello,

I am curious if there is any recommendation for the setting of the health monitor on a hardware loadbalancer.

We upgraded our Development enviornment from 9.14 to 9.22 and our health monitor was no longer seeing our nodes as being online.

The health monitor checked a GET /itg/dashboard/app/portal/PageView.jsp\r\n URI. However with the upgrade, it no longer returns any valid health and was seeing the nodes as offline.

We are using an F5 loadbalancer.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott

0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.. randull Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Hardware Loadbalancer Health Monitor

Hi Scott,

From the support prospective there isn't any recommendation about how to set the "health monitor".

Thanks,

Randall

Best regards,
Randall

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
"If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks Randall.

This may just be something that we need to figure out. We have the TCP check enabled but are looking for something that can also help aid if a node goes down but the server:port is still functioning.

It doesn't happen refrequently, but does on occasion.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. randull Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Scott,

I think it is a good practice to set the Monitor Health on your load balancer. Unfortunately, we do not have recommendations of how set it out.

Best regards,
Randall

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
"If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Jim Esler Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I recall seeing a note somewhere, probably in one of these forums or in the release notes, that one of the 9.14 patches disabled the ability to log in directly to a node. We are running the initial 9.14 release with no patches and we have three probes running: one to the F5 and one each to the two nodes. It is very useful to know when a single node fails as that is the most common failure mode we see. This is one reason we have resisted installing a patch.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

I agree. We actually used a service called Keynote that we could log into our application using - however this did not help us with outages in regards to the F5.

I know with the F5 Custom HTTP monitor, you can ask for a response - called Receive String. In theory, you can set that to be some Text that would be on the logon page - which the F5 would check for to ascertain if the node was up.

I am looking to see what we have ours set to since we are changing our Logon page with the upgrade to v9.22. We may have it look for our company name - as this may be something very specific.

Of course, we will do lots of testing on it as well.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.