New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Ideas for the use of an HTML Portlet

I would like to know how other people are using HTML Portlets on their PPM Dashboards.

I am sure I can make some use of this tool, but I am looking for creative ways others have put it to use?

Thanks!

Steve

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Steve,

As far as I could see, HTML portlets are mostly used to display static content on the PPM Dashboard Landing page. This is for example how I'm using it in PPM Beta environment where we expose PPM ERs and Features Backlog to our Design Review Customers & Partners:

clipboard_image_0.png

This is a way to give clear "next step" and "what to do" to your PPM end-users as they connect to the tool. 

You can also include links to other relevant pages (reports, help pages).  I know at least 3 customers where the HTML portlet is used like that, sometimes with really impressive results (interactive menus with Javascripts, etc.). 

There are some important limitations to note about using HTML portlet like that:

1) Editing the HTML portlet content is a real pain. The only way I can do it is by opening the "code" tab of the HTML editor (which only works in Firefox) and copy-paste the HTML code that I manage in a different HTML editor. The HTML WYSIWYG editor of the portlet is completely broken and will mess up any attempt at non-trivial HTML.

2) PPM Dashboard has some security features in place to prevent injecting <script> tags in the HTML source code. This can make it really complicated to edit a properly interactive Portlet.

3) Even if you can write basic inline JS (and CSS) in the HTML source, it's not easy to get data from PPM from inside the portlet (such as the security groups of the logged in user for example). For this reason, HTML portlet content is typically static. That really limits the personalization of its contents for end-users.

4) As of 9.55, you can still only pick one landing page for all your PPM users. This means you can only pick one single landing page with HTML Portlet for all end-users, whatever be their role. If you have very different PPM users, it might be hard to craft a single static HTML portlet that will fit them all.

With all these limitations in mind, the good news is that we're working on improving things:

1) In PPM 9.55 we introduced the HTML+ portlet, which lets you write HTML + CSS + JS code (any JS code) in the portlet definition, and also feed the JS code with the data from a Dashboard Datasource as JSon (same dashboard datasource as any other PPM Dashboard Builder Portlet). This means that you can write more interactive portlets based on data coming from PPM DB, and have no restriction on the JS code you can include. More info here: https://admhelp.microfocus.com/ppm/en/latest/Help/Content/CG/ConfigSI/html+-potlet-display-options.htm

2) In next PPM Version (due in late February), I'm working on adding some flexibility in picking the PPM Landing page. You should be able to pick a different landing page based on Security Group/Org Unit/Specific Users connecting. We will also make it possible to allow end-users to manually pick which of their PPM dashboard pages they want to use as landing page. This should significantly improve the possibilities to tailor what your end-users view when they log into PPM.
Note that this is still work in progress and that there is no commitment at this point that this feature will be part of next version.

Cheers,

Etienne.

Highlighted
Commodore
Commodore

These are terrific news Etienne as users were struggling for years for landing page improvements. 

Thanks.

--Remember to give Kudos if you like the solution.

Murat Akbar
MIF Software & Consultancy - Istanbul
http://www.mif.com.tr
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I use the HTML portlet to supplement my project/program "Status Report" dashboard which is sent out to stakeholders. 

I normally just use it for formatted text (headings with bullets, etc.), but sometimes we have included diagrams as well.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.