Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. ManojKumarNS Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Is SSH logon name case sensitive in CYGWIN ?

Jump to solution

There are two servers(1 staging server and 1 prod server) in US domain. usppmdemand is an account in the US domain.

In stage server, the passwd contains the account name as usPPMDemand and the prod server’s passwd file has USPPMDEMAND.

Shh connection works perfectly only when I use the same account name(case sensitive) in the passwd file,

Stage server to prod server:-

Ssh USPPMDEMAND@prod server  name.

BUT SSH IS NOT OPENING WHEN I USE ,

Ssh usppmdemand@prod server name.

Prod server to stage :-

Ssh usPPMDemand@stage server name.

BUT SSH IS NOT OPENING WHEN I USE ,

Ssh usppmdemand@stage server name

1.Do you have any idea why the passwd file got update with different case letters in stage and prod or please let me know how we can rectify this without any impact ? I just did googling and found some things but not sure about the resolution,

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-07/msg00150.html

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-04/msg00037.html

Observations:-

1. while updating the password file, I have just used the command mkpasswd –d US –u usppmdemand >> /etc/passwd. 
  2. In stage, On very first time after installing the Cygwin, I logged into the stage server with the service account and opened the Cygwin and it was showing usPPMDemand@stage server name.
  3. In PROD, On very first time after installing the Cygwin, I logged into the stage server with the service account and opened the Cygwin and it was showing USPPMDEMAND@prod server  name.
  4. HP PPM version 9.20
  5. Cygwin version - 1.7.16(0.262/5/3)
  6. Openssh Version - OpenSSH_6.0p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012

2. I have a small question, in the workbench-> environment,  is the username case sensitive ?  (I guess it is not!!)

Usually, when we click on the check button in the environment, it will check all the connections (example : secure copy 2 server, SSH server etc..).. So, I guess, the HP PPM will use Cygwin in background and check the ssh connection. Right ? if yes, to which file the HP PPM will go and search for the username and password to establish ssh connection and check it?

Thanks

Manoj

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. favdjiev Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Is SSH logon name case sensitive in CYGWIN ?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I searched a bit, and I think the key to this issue can be found in the second link you shared - http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-04/msg00037.html :

How old is your old openssh package?  In recent versions of OpenSSH(*)
there's an explicit check for the username, and it is forced to be the
same case as in /etc/passwd. This has been added after an upstream
discussion as to how to handle user names in ssh_config Match rules.
See `man ssh_config' for the Match rules.

Also, please check this link as well:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openssh/dev/48009

There is the following:

"It looks like Windows is matching users case-insensitively. OpenSSH
always performs case-sensitive matching (following Unix). If this is
the case, then perhaps we should tolower() all usernames on Windows? "

So it seems this is indeed that Cygwin is case sensitive, however, for more information I'm afraid you should contact the Cygwin support, as this appears to be a purely Cygwin issue, not PPM.  My best suggestion will be to check the following file - ssh_config - and see if the username matches the one listed there.

Best Regards,

Filip

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.. favdjiev Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi,

I searched a bit, and I think the key to this issue can be found in the second link you shared - http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-04/msg00037.html :

How old is your old openssh package?  In recent versions of OpenSSH(*)
there's an explicit check for the username, and it is forced to be the
same case as in /etc/passwd. This has been added after an upstream
discussion as to how to handle user names in ssh_config Match rules.
See `man ssh_config' for the Match rules.

Also, please check this link as well:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openssh/dev/48009

There is the following:

"It looks like Windows is matching users case-insensitively. OpenSSH
always performs case-sensitive matching (following Unix). If this is
the case, then perhaps we should tolower() all usernames on Windows? "

So it seems this is indeed that Cygwin is case sensitive, however, for more information I'm afraid you should contact the Cygwin support, as this appears to be a purely Cygwin issue, not PPM.  My best suggestion will be to check the following file - ssh_config - and see if the username matches the one listed there.

Best Regards,

Filip

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.. ManojKumarNS Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks  for your words.

You and I are correct.

Cygwin is case sensitive. Even while configuring the environmnets in workbench, we have to provide the username

by matching th case(that is passwd file).

I have not got the support from cygwin yet. As of now, i am planning to use the existing username.

Thanks

Manoj

Tags (1)
0 Likes
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Manoj,

Going through the old backlog of the Threads, and looks like this one was answered, so will mark it as such.

If need any further assistance, please just let us know or open a new Thread.

Thanks,

Mike

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.