Don Seagraves Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is there a way to create a work plan Baseline for mulitple projects on a scheduled basis?

We would like to automatically create a weekly work plan Basline for active projects under a specific Project Type.  

We understand that an Execution step can be created in our Project Lifecycle work flow to run the ksc_create_baseline command on a Timeout schedule.  But this would mean creating this Execution command off of every work flow step or creating one Baseline Execution step then have a way to determine what step it should return to.   Because the project naturally will be at different phases or work flow step.  

We are moving forward with second option where we keep what project work flow step kicked off the scheduled baseline so it can return to that step.  But this makes for a very messy work flow and more potential failure points.

Did try creating a new Report Type using the create baseline command since a report can be scheduled.  But the create baseline really only appears to be for one project.

Just looking for another option to execute the create baseline outside of the work flow.  Again what's important is to create the baselines for multiple projects under one specific project type on a scheduled basis. 

Has anyone resolved this particular need or have some advice on what options can be taken?

Thanks

0 Likes
10 Replies
Absent Member.. AlexSavencu Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Is there a way to create a work plan Baseline for mulitple projects on a scheduled basis?

Hi,

There are two solutions for your situation:
1. In the project workflow you can create a hanging step that will create a baseline based on a timeout event. This will not create any mess in the graphical view, but you would need to implement certain logic in the step in order to trigger the baseline creation at a specific interval, regardless of the project creation date. This is the situation where you want the baseline to be created at the end of the week, let's say.

2. Create a completely separate workflow that will contain a series of automated steps. These steps would cycle through the active projects and create the appropriate baseline fire each active project.

Let me know if the active helps.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Absent Member.

Re: Is there a way to create a work plan Baseline for mulitple projects on a scheduled basis?

I like the idea of a seperate work flow but still confused on how to cycle through the active projects.  Can you give me a simple example on how to do this? 

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi,

You can have an automatic step which collects the list of project IDs and store them in a form field. Then you can process them with another automatic step, one by one and delete the processed project id from the field. After this, cycle back until all IDs are processed.

Cheers
Alex

0 Likes
Jason Nichols K Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Instead of a separate workflow and request, you could create a Report Type that holds the executions. This way, you can definitely schedule the report to run on that periodic basis that you are looking for. From your description and Alex's workflow idea, it definitely sounds plausible to have a PL/SQL script perform these actions. Personally, I like to create scripts inside the ksc_begin_script/ksc_end_script commands so that the script is stored inside PPM -- I've had some client locations where I have not had access to the filesystem to create such a file on a more permanent basis. This PL/SQL script would do just like Alex said: use a Cursor to select the Active Projects associated with the requisite Project Type and create the BaseLines. I've used this method for many one-shot executions that needed to be run on set schedule.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks for the additional tip on creating the SQL script using the ksc_begin_script/ksc_end_script commands.  Sounds like a good approach.  This is all pretty new to me so will be good to know how to do this. 

Additional question though:  I assume you can pass the results of the selected project to the create baseline function.  Is that correct or is there something else that needs to be done to accomplish this?

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Absolutely!  You can put just about any token into the script file.  The exceptions to this would be non-text based validations (Attachment, password, table components, etc.).  The password validations should be obvious as to why it would not allow you to put it into the script file.  The others would just display the values that are actually stored in the parameter fields in the KCRT_REQUEST_DETAILS table, not the actual data.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

I have to admit our experience here with this is very limited.   Simply creating a baseline or setting a staffing profile status is about all we have done here.  

Since there are very few good examples with the Special Commands to give me a good starting point, do you or anyone have some you would be willing to share?  We are unclear how you wrap the SQL and call the create Baseline.

Appreciate any quick guidance you may have.

Thanks,

Don

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi,

Personally, i do not feel so comfortable running the baseline creation from PL/SQL since I am not sure that this would be supported by HP. Furthermore, I am not aware of the exact procedure(s) to be called, so this approach might require some java decompiling.

My approach makes use of native configuration features. Also, if you have a failure in creating the baseline for either project, this will be logged in the request log for further investigation.

cheers

alex

0 Likes
Absent Member.

The Report Type option doesn't  have to use a PL/SQL procedure.  It can use the ksc_create_baseline special command just like a workflow would.  The PL/SQL script was just an example, not a definitive "it has to be done this way" option.   Right off the top of my head, I don't know the procedure that would need to be called either, so I would look through the available packages to see what's available, but since there is already a ksc_create_baseline special command, I would probably do that in the Report Type.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Sorry I probably didn't explain well.  What I don't know how to do is collect the list of projects then pass the project id one-by-one to the ksc_create_baseline command.  Since we have no examples to go by I'm looking how I would script this scenerio.   Assuming I would first have some SQL that selects the project and again saves and passes it to the create baseline command then loops back till all the projects are baselined.  Which I definitely want to take advantge of.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.