Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. thePITman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Make Field Required Upon Request Completion

Jump to solution

In a PPM request type, I have a drop-down field called Closure Code. The last step of the request is Deploy Changes, and then it goes to Complete. I want the field to be required upon completion of the request (when the transition goes to Complete). However, when I make the field required on Deploy Changes, any change (and Save) to the request requires the Closure Code to put in, when we shouldn't need it until actually clicking the button to complete the request. I have tried to set Closure Code to Reconfirm on Complete hoping it would prompt for Closure Code, but that does not force the field to be populated.

With all fields being read-only when in Complete status, how have others achieved this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CGut Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Make Field Required Upon Request Completion

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Status dependencies indicate what the Request should have in order to move into a certain state. So, if there is a field that is Required for a Status of In Progress, then that field will have to have a value in it before it can move to a step with In Progress as its status. It is a look-ahead model of status dependencies. The workflow looks ahead to see what is necessary for the next step, and then prompts the user for the information if it needs to.

Example:

Here is an example of the way status dependencies work with a Request Type with required fields. Here is a sample workflow with some request statuses:

Step 1 - New
Step 2 - In Progress
Step 3 - Review
Step 3a - Approved
Step 4 - Complete

If there is a field that is required at Step 2 only, then the status dependency has to be set for required with "Review", not "In Progress". If the field required is set at "In Progress" the user will not be able to advance past Step 1.

Let me know if this helped you.

Best Regards, 

Carolina. 

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
2 Replies
CGut Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Status dependencies indicate what the Request should have in order to move into a certain state. So, if there is a field that is Required for a Status of In Progress, then that field will have to have a value in it before it can move to a step with In Progress as its status. It is a look-ahead model of status dependencies. The workflow looks ahead to see what is necessary for the next step, and then prompts the user for the information if it needs to.

Example:

Here is an example of the way status dependencies work with a Request Type with required fields. Here is a sample workflow with some request statuses:

Step 1 - New
Step 2 - In Progress
Step 3 - Review
Step 3a - Approved
Step 4 - Complete

If there is a field that is required at Step 2 only, then the status dependency has to be set for required with "Review", not "In Progress". If the field required is set at "In Progress" the user will not be able to advance past Step 1.

Let me know if this helped you.

Best Regards, 

Carolina. 

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
Highlighted
Absent Member.. thePITman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response. I had been playing around with the Status Dependencies as you mentioned, and it had not been working. So I tried the status dependencies with different scenarios, and I learned the following:

My 2nd to last step is Deploy Changes. My last step is Complete. In order to Complete the request, Closure Code must be populated. So, if I set the Closure Code field to Required on Complete...

It successfully prompts me for the Closure Code value when:

- The transition goes directly from Deploy Changes to Complete

It does not prompt me for the Closure Code when:

- There is an Execution step that happens between Deploy Changes and Complete

- In other words, the workflow transition goes from Deploy Changes to an Execution step then to Complete

Through this experiment I have learned what I needed, and now I just need to figure out how to design this in a way that supports what I need. Thank you very much for the reminder and advice!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.