Highlighted
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

Migrate/clone Project data from one Project type to another?

Hi!

We want to change Project Type for a couple of hundreds of projects without manually register them and transfer FS/SP etc.

Is there any described proceedure how to accomplish this?

Im thinking of a process like this, but I would like to do it more easy/automated:

- Create a new project (automate somehow, ksc_create_project maybe?)
- Update query to move request data from old project to new project (as ksc_copy_request does not work for projects)
- Link the old and new project with referenses
- Manually import Staffing Profile from old to new project (or could we re-link it?)
- Manually import Financial Summary from old to new project (or could we re-link it?)
- Manually import Work plan from old to new project (or could we re-link it?)
- About actuals we are doing time reporting in another system and are only feeding it to Financial Summary using web-services. So we can easily redirect the actuals to the new project.
- Have I missed something, probably...?

Someone that done similar? Is there a described process for this?

Regards
Johan
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hello Johan,

Could you please tell me why or the scenario of this process ? I have not seen any similar process. But could you please tell me which is the purpose of this action ? saving time ?

And could you also please tell me which is your final expectations of having this process ?

Please let me know if you have any question.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

We are consolidating our Project Types.

Projects using a Project Type that are about to be discontinued has to be migrated to a another Project Type (with another set of request types)

Regards,

Johan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Johan,

Were you able to complete this successfully ? Can you share the steps ?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Hi there Johan,

Seems you have covered pretty much everything that needs to be transfered. having said that it will be a challenging one to transfer them. 

Few comments inset.

- Create a new project (automate somehow, ksc_create_project maybe?) Can you try to explore ksc_create_request at the end of old projects, if you are successful then data will automatically be moved from old to new projects, esp. if they have same tokens. 
- Update query to move request data from old project to new project (as ksc_copy_request does not work for projects) If above doesnt work then yes, update script to update the fields. 
- Link the old and new project with referenses Custom script to do this, unless you want to go in manually and update all the references to point to the new project(s). 
- Manually import Staffing Profile from old to new project (or could we re-link it?) You can detach existing staffing profile and attach to new project
- Manually import Financial Summary from old to new project (or could we re-link it?) Recommend to use webservices.
- Manually import Work plan from old to new project (or could we re-link it?) Think this will be manual, uless you want to export all to MSP and import them back, or else explore webservices.
- About actuals we are doing time reporting in another system and are only feeding it to Financial Summary using web-services. So we can easily redirect the actuals to the new project. Yes, webservices is the way to go for this one.  Tricky bit will be to map the old project to new ones as which was old project id and which is the new project id. 

Good luck. Inbox me if you need any further assistance. 

Regards,
Ajay Mishra
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.