jjdeken Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

PPM API - Rest Services

Hello. We have recently implemented NTLM Authentication for our SSO. Current version is 9.42.

A PowerShell script that would call PPM APIs stopped working. The PowerShell script was using Rest Web Services and in the header using basic authorization with encryption.  When SSO is turned off the script works again. The errors we are seeing are either unauthorized or unknown error occured.

Can anyone provide guidance on how we can make this work using NTLM Authentication? Is there a setting we need to change, a different header we need to pass, or a rewrite of our current script or headers.

Any guidance provide would be great. If this is a known issue and there is a hotfix for this please pass a long.

Thanks!

0 Likes
5 Replies
Wesly_Q_PPM Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: PPM API - Rest Services

Hello Deken,

I hope you are doing all great.

My names is Wesly Quiesada 

Do you have screenshot about the issue you have?

Also, I think that your issue needs an investigation deeper, my recommendation is to open a ticket with PPM Support Team

Best Regards 

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Wesly. Thanks for responding.

The error is when the PowerShell script runs we are getting an Unauthorized error most of the time. I say most of the time because sometimes we get another error but I can not remember off hand what that was. It gave us a feeling that authorization worked but some thing else errored out. When we take down NTLM Authentication we do not receive any errors. It only happens when NTLM Authentication is turned on.

We did open a ticket with support and it was passed over to R&D. Posted on the knowledge site was a fix for PPM API Basic Authentication for when using NTLM SSO was completed in the newest release 9.50. We are requesting a hot fix for the version we are on which is 9.42. Hopefully the correction mentioned in the knowledge base is the fix we need as well.

Thanks for reaching out. If you have any idea or just any thoughts at all please share. Thanks so much again!

0 Likes
alexsavencu1
Visitor.

Hello,

we are also experiencing the same issue. Does anyone has an update from MicroFocus on this topic?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

The last update I received from MicroFocus was that their is going to be a patch released, I think by end of week, for version 9.42 that is supposed to fix this issue.

Advice I could provide is open a support ticket if possible or reach out to MicroFocus so they are aware that you will need that patch as well.

I hope it resolves the issue.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you don't want to wait for a hotfix on 9.42 and if upgrading to PPM 9.50 is not an option, then if your production environment is in clustered mode and has a dedicated node to run Background Services, a common "good practice/workaround" is to disable SSO on the Background Service node, and use it as a Web Service node. Connecting to it with standard PPM auth will work since SSO is disabled, so you won't need to change anything in your web service client to support SSO.

That implies to use the node exact address & port to connect to it, not PPM BASE_URL. It also requires network connectivity between the WS client and the PPM Service Node. 

Note that this is a solution for both REST and SOAP Web Service.

Cheers,

Etienne.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.