SandraL Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

PPM Server Log file errors

We commonly see a number of errors in our PPM Server Log file.  Often there is not enough information for us to diagnose or resolve the errors ourselves.

Is there anyway to tell which errors are significant and require action; versus those which can be safely ignored?  

Is there any white paper or resource that lists the errors along with their cause and recommended action? 

Following are a few examples of errors we see pretty regularly in our log file.  We are currently on 9.31.002:

1)

GUID errors, that when entered into Search -> Administrative -> Exceptions, returns:

An Error has occurred.  Cannot load the Exception with the specified id:  <GUID number>. Exception may be deleted by another user.

2)

We get the following error, even when we know that the database is up and running.  Typically one or a few users will get receive the error, while other users do not. 

ERROR server:ppmLightServiceListenerContainer-1:(EmailNotificationAgent.java:1296):2016/05/06-11:35:06.990 CDT: The database could not be reached. (KNTA-10224) The database could not be reached. (KNTA-10224)

3)

We see the following error, when none of our projects has the Percent Complete Required setting enabled.

ERROR :ppmLightServiceListenerContainer-2:(TMPMSyncService.java:183):2016/04/12-22:56:48.951 CDT: Failed saveTasks() in TM-PM sync service java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Percent Complete is required.

4)

Cost rollup service failure where expected row count doesn't match the actual row count.  Though next time the service runs, it seems to run fine without raising the error.

5)

Batch update returned unexpected row count from update; actual row count: 94; expected: 99-

Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Rachna_Visal Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: PPM Server Log file errors

Hi Sandra,

I have tried to give you some pointers about these errors (see below).

I would advise you to open support cases so that it can be investigated as we need to look at your logs and kSupport.sh output to determine the course of action.

It is difficult to have a consolidated white paper as the errors need to be looked at in the context of the customer's environment, etc.  We do have knowledge documents available on the support site that can be referred to as far as known issues are concerned.  Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rachna

************************************************************************************************************************************************

1)

GUID errors, that when entered into Search -> Administrative -> Exceptions, returns:

An Error has occurred.  Cannot load the Exception with the specified id:  <GUID number>. Exception may be deleted by another user.

>>>> We will need to investigate this by looking at your logs and the kSupport.sh output.   It is possible that certain errors may not be integrated with the ppm_exceptions functionality

2)

We get the following error, even when we know that the database is up and running.  Typically one or a few users will get receive the error, while other users do not. 

ERROR server:ppmLightServiceListenerContainer-1:(EmailNotificationAgent.java:1296):2016/05/06-11:35:06.990 CDT: The database could not be reached. (KNTA-10224) The database could not be reached. (KNTA-10224)

>>>> Your maximum connections parameter for the database will need to be looked at, in the server.conf

3)

We see the following error, when none of our projects has the Percent Complete Required setting enabled.

ERROR :ppmLightServiceListenerContainer-2:(TMPMSyncService.java:183):2016/04/12-22:56:48.951 CDT: Failed saveTasks() in TM-PM sync service java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Percent Complete is required.

>>>> This normally occurs if there is a leaf task having percent complete missing, but when you run the PMTMSYnc tool, no errors are found.  Now you are saying that you do not have this functionality enabled so we will need to assess this in further detail.

4)

Cost rollup service failure where expected row count doesn't match the actual row count.  Though next time the service runs, it seems to run fine without raising the error.

Batch update returned unexpected row count from update; actual row count: 94; expected: 99

>>>>We need to see the stack trace to evaluate.  Have you checked if Actual costs in project management and time management are correct.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

HP Expert
0 Likes
SandraL Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

We have/do have cases open with HP Support, and have provided kSupports.

I was hoping there was some supplemental materials available that would give us a better idea when we need to go to HP Support.

As far as my specific examples:

1) I agree some errors appear to not be supported in Search Exceptions.  It is hard for the Admins when the message says to contact them, and they are not able to find out more info.  I learned yesterday that one Admin was rebooting PPM when GUID errors are encountered, but I know that is not always necessary (and should never be necessary).

2) Our maximum connection was raised to 250, but I am sure that was not the issue, as I don't think I have ever seen the number of connections go above 7.  I suspect the error is caused by an issue in PPM.

3) I ran a query on the settings to verify no projects have the %Complete required. And that is supported by the next rollup service not displaying the error.

4) It doesn't look like any records are stuck in the itg_pending_rollups table.  Though when I ran the following query to compare the actuals per your suggestion, it did display 5 rows.

SELECT *

FROM  (SELECT work_item_id, work_item_type, t.resource_id,

wp.act_effort wp_Act_Effort,

SUM (ef.actual_effort) tm_act_effort

FROM    tm_actuals act,

tm_actuals_effort ef,

tm_time_sheet_lines l,

tm_time_sheets t,

wp_work_units wp

WHERE   wp.resource_id IS NOT NULL

AND ef.actuals_id = act.actuals_id

AND act.totals_flag = 'Y'

AND act.time_sheet_line_id = l.time_sheet_line_id

AND wp.task_id = l.work_item_id

AND wp.resource_id = t.resource_id

AND l.time_sheet_id = t.time_sheet_id

AND l.time_sheet_id IS NOT NULL

AND wp.tm_origin = 'Y'

AND l.effort_on_work_item_entity = 'Y'

AND l.work_item_type IN ('TASK', 'PROJECT')

AND wp.act_effort IS NOT NULL

HAVING (wp.act_effort < SUM (ef.actual_effort) -1

OR wp.act_effort > SUM (ef.actual_effort) + 1)

GROUP BY work_item_id,

work_item_type,

t.resource_id,

wp.act_effort

) a, wp_tasks tsk, pm_work_plans wkp

WHERE a.work_item_id = tsk.task_id

AND   tsk.work_plan_id = wkp.work_plan_id

0 Likes
Rachna_Visal Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hi Sandra,

We do have knowledge documents on the SSO site that can be referred to.

You can always post your query here and we can help you assess the situation or provide feedback on your issue.

Some of the errors you have posted need specific investigation to get to the resolution.

Please can you provide case-ids that you have opened, so we can take a look at the details.

Thanks

Rachna

HP Expert
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.