Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Established Member.. cABany
Established Member..

PPM Upgrade Help

Jump to solution

I'm currently running on PPM 9.10 and our account is considering upgrading to PPM 9.14. I need to provide an estimate in the amount of time it'll take me to complete it.

1.) Can anyone advise me on how long this upgrade normally takes to perform?

2.) What kind of PPM regression testing is needed/required?

3.) Is there some kind of "best practices" document for doing the upgrade?

Thank you in advance for you feedback!

Regards,

Curt

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: PPM Upgrade Help

Jump to solution

Hi Curt,

Yes, that is a great idea as 9.10 is very old and there have been many, many fixes and features added to the product since that time. It would be best to move to 9.14.0009 (Deploy the Service Pack 4 to take you to 9.14, and then the 0009 Patches to move to 9.14.0009).

1) The Service Pack and Patches upgrades generally do not take a long time. I would say an hour is a safe bet from the time the Nodes are stopped, the deployment is run, and the jsp files to recompile. Though every system is different, so would be best to test in the DEV and STAGE environments to become familiar with the process to know exactly how long it will take when doing PROD. 

2) The Release Notes have the information on what is fixed in the Service Packs and Patches. Since clients use PPM for various business needs, can just do regression testing in the areas that are being used on the system by Users. Clients will do the upgrade on their STAGE environment and then have their Users do Validation Testing to make sure everything that the Users do on PPM is working as expected prior to upgrading in PROD environment.

3) There is an Upgrade Guide and What's New Guide for major upgrades (9.1 to 9.2 for example), though since this is just an upgrade to a Service Pack and Patches (9.10 to 9.14.0009), the Release Notes have the instructions for the upgrade.

Hopefully these have answered your questions. Again, 0009 just came out so moving to 9.14.0009 would get you to the point with all of the latest fixes and features in the 9.1 version.

-Mike

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
2 Replies
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Curt,

Yes, that is a great idea as 9.10 is very old and there have been many, many fixes and features added to the product since that time. It would be best to move to 9.14.0009 (Deploy the Service Pack 4 to take you to 9.14, and then the 0009 Patches to move to 9.14.0009).

1) The Service Pack and Patches upgrades generally do not take a long time. I would say an hour is a safe bet from the time the Nodes are stopped, the deployment is run, and the jsp files to recompile. Though every system is different, so would be best to test in the DEV and STAGE environments to become familiar with the process to know exactly how long it will take when doing PROD. 

2) The Release Notes have the information on what is fixed in the Service Packs and Patches. Since clients use PPM for various business needs, can just do regression testing in the areas that are being used on the system by Users. Clients will do the upgrade on their STAGE environment and then have their Users do Validation Testing to make sure everything that the Users do on PPM is working as expected prior to upgrading in PROD environment.

3) There is an Upgrade Guide and What's New Guide for major upgrades (9.1 to 9.2 for example), though since this is just an upgrade to a Service Pack and Patches (9.10 to 9.14.0009), the Release Notes have the instructions for the upgrade.

Hopefully these have answered your questions. Again, 0009 just came out so moving to 9.14.0009 would get you to the point with all of the latest fixes and features in the 9.1 version.

-Mike

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Curt,

I was just going through some of the old threads and see this one has an answer so will mark it with a solution.

If you should need any further help, please let us know or just open a new discussion.

Thanks,

Mike

“HP Support
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.