Absent Member.. thePITman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

PPM Validation Migrator - Not Finding All Validations

Jump to solution

I am attempting to automatically migrate 3 validations from a DEV environment to our PROD environment using a PPM package. But when I go to add lines to my package via the "PPM Validation Migrator" object type, not all validations are appearing in the list. There are 3 validations I want to migrate. I am able to add 2 of 3 to the package.

The 1 validation I am not allowed to add (do not see in the list) is: "PPM - Application - Enabled"

I am curious if anyone can provide information why I cannot see this validation to add to my package. Does it have anything to do with the out-of-the-box nature of the validation? The validation behind the list of validations (this is getting confusing) is "PPM - PPM objects from migration source instance" which calls an out-of-the-box special command.

Is there some way to export the validations from DEV to a ZIP file and then import them manually into PROD?

Here is another, somewhat related (but not critical) issue I ran into:

In order to determine if the validations should be migrated in the first place, I was in the DB trying to query the values of the 3 validations to compare the values from DEV to PROD. The 2 tables I've tried to use are knta_lookups and knta_validations_nls. However, only 1 of 3 validations (a Drop Down validation) is showing up in the tables. The other 2 (Auto Complete validations) are nowhere to be found. I have scoured the database looking for another table of view containing validation values, but I cannot find one.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. fabsvz Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: PPM Validation Migrator - Not Finding All Validations

Jump to solution

Hi,

Actually by design you cannot migrate OOTB validations from one PPM environment to another. You can migrate seeded entities like validations when you migrate request types,headers, workflows. The only way to migrate the seeded validations is if they are included in RT, RHT, Workflows.

May I suggest to try copying the specific validation ITG - Validation Migrator and then to migrate the copy of the validation to the other PPM environment?

knta_lookups and knta_validations_nls are the more alike to what you are trying to find, however I am going to investigate what other table could be helpful and I will be back with you.

Best regards,

Fabiola Vargas

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.. fabsvz Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi,

Actually by design you cannot migrate OOTB validations from one PPM environment to another. You can migrate seeded entities like validations when you migrate request types,headers, workflows. The only way to migrate the seeded validations is if they are included in RT, RHT, Workflows.

May I suggest to try copying the specific validation ITG - Validation Migrator and then to migrate the copy of the validation to the other PPM environment?

knta_lookups and knta_validations_nls are the more alike to what you are trying to find, however I am going to investigate what other table could be helpful and I will be back with you.

Best regards,

Fabiola Vargas

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thank you, fabsvz.

You gave me a good idea - I migrated a request that uses the Validation I'm wanting to migrate.

I set the "Replace existing req hdr type?" to NO since I don't want to change the Request Header, just the underlying validations.

I set the "Replace existing validations?" and "Add missing security groups?" both to YES.

This worked in bringing over my "PPM - Applications - Enabled" validation, but it did NOT bring over the Security Groups referenced in the User Data of the records in that validation. So I have new records in the Validation that reference Security Groups that did not get created. Is there any way to bring these Security Groups across, as well?

The security groups are not specifcally assigned to any certain step of a workflow, but rather pulled dynamically from the Application's user data, so I don't believe migrating the workflow would bring them across.

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Loc_Nguyen_PPM Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi thePITman,

Hope you are doing well!

The validation you are want to migrate is an OOTB validation so i think it cannot be migrated.

Please make a copy of this validation and migrate the copy. It's better to make a copy, migrating via request type might not work as expected.

Kudo is welcome!!!

Hope this helps,

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

vinhloc81 and fabsvz,

While your ideas to copy and migrate the Validation would work in migrating the changes, I would then have to update all references of the Validation in Workflows and Requests to the new Validation instead of the OOTB Valiation that I should be using. I think I will leave as-is for now. Thank you both for your help!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.