Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. RyanTran Absent Member..
Absent Member..

PPM and ALM integration

Hello,

I'm currently working integrating PPM Center with HP Qualtiy Center, using ALM. I have the integration currently working but when I checked history tables in ALM, I noticed the integration user has opened 140,000 sessions over the life of the program(2 weeks). I've looked at the dates/time and noticed that it would at some moments log in and out of ALM 4 times a second to perform the integration's rest calls. Is there a way to keep the user logged during the integration? Thank you for the help!

Regards,

Ryan

Tags (3)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.. Alonso_A_PPM Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: PPM and ALM integration

Hey Ryan,

Why don't you try to modify the PPM timeout parameters?

Maybe those can help you.

Regards,

Alonso

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Oscar_Pereira Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello,

There is no specific table storing the integration sessions in PPM side.

So all the sessions belong to an integration user? Do you see a pattern on the amount of time for each session?

This requires some analysis on the ALM logs to see the Rest requests. qc and sa logs by enabling those in the Site administrator under server. Attach the logs where you saw the Rest requests…

Best regards,

Oscar Pereira

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ryan,

There is currently no way to keep the ALM Session and reuse it. The current PPM / ALM integration will create a new session for each REST call between PPM and ALM (and subsequently properly close it once the REST call is done), which indeed results in a very large number of sessions created for the ALM integration user.

If this results in performance issues on ALM side, you should definitely open a defect.

If this only results in suspicious eyebrows raised on the ALM admins side, you might want to open an Enhancement Request if that becomes an administration concern. 

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello,

Everyone thank you for the info. 

May I ask if there is a way to reduce the number of rests call that the integration will create? Space the Rest Calls farther apart?

-Ryan

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ryan,

There's no way I know of except maybe reduce the value of QUALITY_CENTER_SYNC_MAX_RETRY_TIMES (number of time PPM will retry to sync upon failure), however I doubt it will result in a noticeable change.

Does this heavy session load creates performance issue on ALM side?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello Etienne,

The integration is currently not creating any performance issue with ALM, but the ALM's database will fill up. It is currently at about 170,000 sessions within a couple of weeks. 

-Ryan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.