Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Problems with portlets after upgrade to 9.31

Jump to solution

Hi

We have upgraded our dev environment tp 9.31 from 9.22 and we face some problems wih some of our portlets.

We get a "An unknown error has occurred." message in the portlet and in the serverlog it reports:

:ajp-bio-8029-exec-9:(BuilderPortletError_jsp.java:109):2015/06/01-18:21:40.571 CEST:
java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupHead.match(Pattern.java:4556)
    at java.util.regex.Pattern$Loop.match(Pattern.java:4683)

After a lot of try and failure I have concluded that its when we have a subselect in the from field in the datasource that contains a newline like this:

from

(select

'First row

second row' as text_row

from dual)

and there is at least 3000 characters in the where part of the datasource.

Have anyone else experienced this kind of problem ?

/Robert

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Robert,

This is a known issue in PPM 9.31

Issue: Portlets would display Error: "An Unknown Error has occurred" on the dashboard and A StackOverFlow errors is logged in the serverlog

Cause: A known JDK defect (JDK-5050507) causes StackOverFlow on portlets with very long SQL.

The fix is to Change  to the following: HEAP="-Xms$HEAP_SIZE -Xmx$HEAP_SIZE -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError-Xss2M"

Also there is a hotfix in case this workaround did not help as This workaround will not work on 32-bit operating system. You should open a new support ticket so they can provide you next steps.

Best Regards,

Carolina.

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Robert, 

It is happening with out of the box porlets or just custom portlets? 

Could you please attach the full server log?

Best Regards, 

Carolina. 

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi Robert,

Please help me to try the workaround bellow and let me know the result.

Open kStart.sh and find the following line

HEAP="-Xms$HEAP_SIZE -Xmx$HEAP_SIZE -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

Change it to

HEAP="-Xms$HEAP_SIZE -Xmx$HEAP_SIZE -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError –Xss2M"

Regards,

“HP Support
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Hi,

Tried change Heap, did not change anything, was my first thought but after som testing I saw that i could have longer sections in my where clause.

When i increased the thread size to 8M it could handle the biggest queries.

But this seems to be an extreme workaround, what issues will this cause ? Outofmemory errors ?

What have changed from 9.22 regarding Java handling, I was looking through our setup in our test env (9.22) and there there is no need to increase the thread stack size.

This only affects custom portlets (I dont know any ootb datasources that i can modify to match the pattern).

I have added a serverlog as well.

/Robert

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi,

About your statement "When I increased the thread size to 8M it could handle the biggest queries."

It means you set like this:
HEAP="-Xms$HEAP_SIZE -Xmx$HEAP_SIZE -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError –Xss8M

Please confirm.

Also, I would like to inform you that we did some further investigation with our R&D team and looks like this issue is caused because of JDK issue : http://bugs.java.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=5050507

This issue occurs when the string (in this case it is the long sql), which is to be handled by Pattern.match(), is too long whereas the stack size is insufficient.

Regards,

“HP Support
0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Hi,

Yes thats correct.

When I change to

HEAP="-Xms$HEAP_SIZE -Xmx$HEAP_SIZE -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError –Xss8M"

I cant see any problems with any of our custom portlets.

Still interesting that this issue does not occur in our 9.22 environments with the same java version.

/Robert

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Robert,

Could you please tell me which platform you are using to host PPM server? Is it Window or Linux?

Why you set it to 8M, it means the lower values did not work for you?

Regards,

“HP Support
0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Hi

We are running windows 2008 R2 standard 64-bit

I tried 2M and 4M and that was not sufficient.

/Robert

Highlighted

Hi,

Thank you for your information.

We will update you soon once have anything new for this issue.

Regards,

“HP Support
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Robert,

This is a known issue in PPM 9.31

Issue: Portlets would display Error: "An Unknown Error has occurred" on the dashboard and A StackOverFlow errors is logged in the serverlog

Cause: A known JDK defect (JDK-5050507) causes StackOverFlow on portlets with very long SQL.

The fix is to Change  to the following: HEAP="-Xms$HEAP_SIZE -Xmx$HEAP_SIZE -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError-Xss2M"

Also there is a hotfix in case this workaround did not help as This workaround will not work on 32-bit operating system. You should open a new support ticket so they can provide you next steps.

Best Regards,

Carolina.

“HP Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

After facing this issue as well the Xss2M was not enough to fix the OOTB "My Requests" Portlet and after trying 4M as well the one that actually did the trick was to increase it to Xss8M

I don't know if the Hotfix automatically makes those changes or if it changes other things but I'll wait to get it in order to test it.

Edit: our instance is running on UNIX 64bit

Edit2: I went ahead and removed the workaround "adding the Xss8M" and applied the hotfix it seems to be working fine now without any issues. 

Thanks!

Mig

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

We have installed the hotfix available from support and it seems to work.

Thanks all for your contribution.

/Robert

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.