Trusted Contributor.. PeterM1977 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Questions for HP Experts - Current issues in PPM 9.31 in our company

Hello HP Experts

Any help will be appreciated.

I can provide an information about the latest issues we have with new PPM 9.31 (VM - Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1). Few of them are already submitted via support case (without a fix at the moment) and I also have my own workaround for one of them.

1. Case 4650639747 - UI crash after compiling java using kJSPCompiler and running kUpdateHtml script. I found that if NotifHistWF.jspf is present in PPM\server\%node_name%\deploy\itg.war\web\knta\rpt\ the UI will crash after PPM startup. (Java 1.7.0_75)

My workaround: this issue can be solved by removing that jspf file and run kJSPCompiler and KUpdateHtml and put that file back and run only kUpdatehtml once again. Related report can be used without issues.

The issue started different way on our DEV (standalone) and QA, PROD (clustered) servers. On Dev after ugrade to 9.20 (as a midstep to upgrade to 9.3) from 9.14.0008 and on QA, PROD right after upgrade to 9.30 (same upgrade to 9.20 and then to 9.3). QA, PROD servers had no issue as clustered in 9.20 !!!. QA and DEV servers and DB are cloned from PROD (VM servers) so the servers are the same.

I spent few months with HP support and R&D to explain the same thing in the loop and performed a live demonstration via sametime session. This issue isn't fixed at the moment. I provided my JAVA folder together with kVariables.sh and kJSPCompiler scripts to R&D few days ago, per their request.

2. P2 Case 4651388304 - Bcc email notification issue in PPM 9.31 - PPM is unable to send any emails to BCC recipients at all.

I was told that this issue is a known defect QCCR1L57844 in new version.

I suggested to escalate this case to R&D for faster resolution, as this is a more significant issue than users not receiving time sheet notifications. I also asked to put our company to a list of affected companies.

Suggested workaround from HP:

The workaround is to request your Oracle DBA team to manually update the records in the KNTA_NOTIF_TXN_RECIPIENTS table after it is populated once a week. Please ask to your DBA to manually update the database to change the KNTA_NOTIF_TXN_RECIPIENTS.DISTRIBUTION_TYPE_CODE from 'BCC' to 'TO'.

This workaround from our perspective would need to be done at least every 20 seconds due to the way we send notifications.

Can you provide us a db job which our dba can add to the database we can try that as a workaround? The better way is a fix of course ...

3. not yet submitted - random issue - PPM service selfshutdown -> Java heapdump files generated.

I found a similar KNOWN issue in the 9.31.0001 new patch relaease notes document related to GZIP compression, but there are no GZIP exceptions in the serverlog as it is described in this document.

4. PPM 9.30 SP1 installation experience for clustered env (2 web instances on 3 servers) on QA, PROD

new version of script - kDdeploy.sh -i SP1 to install SP1 creates all 6 web instance - Windows services defined in server.conf on each server during install instead of default 2. I had remove them manually on each server ( screenshot attached)

5. Thresholdlog files started to fill up with events even if all monitoring paramaters are set to FALSE (has no content in older version with same server settings)

Example

SESSIONID=E9D9A6A609DA8831B15C9FAB9C208F7B.USS_QA_WEB1,USERNAME=gle2545:http-bio-8080-exec-39:com.kintana.dsh.portlet.monitoring.PortletPerformanceLogger:2015/05/18-08:46:29.250 EDT: "Mon May 18 08:46:29 EDT 2015",30300,"Scope Changes","Java","/itg/dashboard/app/portal/PageView.jsp?entityKey=48980&IS_WINDOID=Y&pageId=130646016&ENTITY_MODE=Y&entityId=48980&entityType=6&IS_EMBEDDED=Y&portletId=130678789",3276,"",""

Parameter name (visible in admin console)

Background_service_monitor_threshold = 900000

Enable_Background_Service_Monitor=true

Enable_All_Performance_Monitor=false

Enable_Portlet_Monitor=false

Enable_UI_Monitor=false

Portlet_Monitor_Persist_State=false

Portlet_Monitor_Threshold=10000

UI_Monitor_Persist_State=false

UI_Monitor_Threshold=4000

I am considering to add one more 0 for Portlet_Monitor_Threshold and for UI_Monitor_Threshold parameters.

Possible new HP Support case candidate ....

Thank you

Peter

0 Likes
4 Replies
CGut Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Questions for HP Experts - Current issues in PPM 9.31 in our company

Dear Peter, 

For the fisrt case (4650639747), it is better if you can wait reponse from our R&D expert team as they already know your situation and can work with you directly.

QCCR1L57844: Set up timesheet policy to send reminder two days after the end of the time reporting period. Timesheet Notification since not sent out since upgrade to 9.3x

The issue is under investigation, you can subscribe and then when they provide and update or solution, they can notify you. Also you can use the workaround provided by HP.
https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1L57844?lang=en&cc=us&hpappid=OSP

And for the latest issue, it is better to open a new case so HP Support can make a deep investigation and provide you a prompt solution.

Best Regards, 

Carolina. 

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
pepdwill Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I am curious if there is any known issue with that NotifHistWF.jspf file that would cause random crashes?  Asking because we are trying to work through random crashes in our Prod environment ever since upgrading to 9.32 (case is open and working with HP already).

Also, are there any current known defects with Notifications with 9.32? 

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Jianghaiming Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Peter,

In previous case you reported. I can see the UI crash issue has been identified as defect QCCR1L58157 and it will be planned to fixed in PPM 9.40.

You may check the progress of this defect via link below:

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1L58157

besides, R&D has provided a workaround for it. did you tired that?

the root cause is that generated_web.xml does not clean up when kJSPCompiler.sh finished with error.

[workaround]
1. stop PPM
2. empty <PPM_HOME>/conf/ generated_web.xml 
   make sure keep a empty file there.
3. sh kUpdateHtml.sh
4. start PPM

For known problem with notification issue or which notification issue is fixed in 9.32. Please refer to 9.32 release notes attached.

Regards
Haiming

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Erik Cole Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

We're running 9.32 and I have open cases for your issues #3 and #5.

For #3, we don't see any errors either, just Java dumps. I may try that workaround, just to see if it is the cause. I suspect it is, since the Java dumps all say

# Problematic frame:
# C [libzip.so+0x8099] deflate_slow+0x49

Based on my research, this isn't likely to be fixed in Java so we'll have to wait for a PPM hotfix or patch.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.