Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Kevin Abram Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

RE: Usage and Syntax of Workflow Parameters

Jump to solution

Hello,

I seem to be having an issue configuring and using Workflow Parameters. I am trying to increment a Workflow Parameter Counter each time a request traverses a particular Workflow Path (See Workflow Steps 1 and 2) in the attached document.

Background

I created a field on my request type (See Request Type Field Info) with a validation of Numeric Text (length = 4) to hold the incremented Workflow Parameter value. What I am trying to do is retrieve the value currently stored in the Request Type Field MTA COUNTER (MTA_COUNTER token name) and increment it using the SQL statement shown in Workflow Step 1 in the attached document.

Currently, this step is failing with a NULL Result [Unsupported Validation Error] - Not sure what this means

Ideally Workflow Step 1 would execute, retrieve and the increment the value stored in the MTA COUNTER field.

Next, Workflow Step 2 would store this newly incremented value in the Workflow Parameter field.

If anyone has any experience or advice on how to set things up to accomplish the tasks I describe above, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Kevin

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Tim_Brandish Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: RE: Usage and Syntax of Workflow Parameters

Jump to solution

Hi Kevin,

The steps involved in using workflow parameters are:

Create an Execution Step source with execution type of SQL Statement.  Set the validation to Numeric Text Field.  The command should be something like SELECT [WFI.VP.MY_COUNTER] +1 from dual   This step will control the value of the parameter.

In the workflow, add parameter including prompt, token name (example: MY_COUNTER) and Default Value (in your case, something like [REQD.P.MTA_COUNTER])  When the request is created, the parameter will start at this value.

Apply the execution step you just created to your workflow and for Workflow Parameter, choose the newly created parameter name.   The output of the execution command will be stored in the workflow parameter.  You can control the direction of the workflow using transitions with operators such as =, >, >=, etc.

To reference the current value of the parameter in other steps, use [WFI.VP.MY_COUNTER] for your token (based on the example info)

Regards,

Tim Brandish

Results Positive, Inc

2 Replies
Absent Member.. AbrahamRB Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Kevin,

I am a PPM Support representative, I will be researching according to your question. Please give me a bit more time and I’ll be back as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Tim_Brandish Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Kevin,

The steps involved in using workflow parameters are:

Create an Execution Step source with execution type of SQL Statement.  Set the validation to Numeric Text Field.  The command should be something like SELECT [WFI.VP.MY_COUNTER] +1 from dual   This step will control the value of the parameter.

In the workflow, add parameter including prompt, token name (example: MY_COUNTER) and Default Value (in your case, something like [REQD.P.MTA_COUNTER])  When the request is created, the parameter will start at this value.

Apply the execution step you just created to your workflow and for Workflow Parameter, choose the newly created parameter name.   The output of the execution command will be stored in the workflow parameter.  You can control the direction of the workflow using transitions with operators such as =, >, >=, etc.

To reference the current value of the parameter in other steps, use [WFI.VP.MY_COUNTER] for your token (based on the example info)

Regards,

Tim Brandish

Results Positive, Inc

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.