Resource User Data Question
We have a custom Resource User Data field that uses a drop-down list of values as the validation.
After changing the Meaning of some values in the drop-down, the updated meaning does display correctly in PPM. However, the Visible Parameter in the RSC_RESOURCES table is still storing the old value.
Here is an easier to follow example of the problem:
- We have a resource user data field called Team Name
- We previously populated this field for numerous resource records
- We then were notified that some of the Team Names needed to change
- We updated the Meaning within the validation list in PPM to reflect the new name.
- PPM properly displays the new Team Name when viewing the resource records
- The RSC_RESOURCES table however, still is storing the old Team value
As a result of the updated value not getting written to the RSC_RESOURCES table, the data sent over to our OR reporting instance is incorrect.
Is there any way to force PPM to update or sync these fields when the validation value Meaning changes (but not the Code)?
What is the general best practice here? Is it to never modify validation values once they've been added?
One option you have is to open up all the resource records and save them so that the new values are written out. Depending on how many need to be updated, this could be painfully tedious.
Another option would be a series of UPDATE statements run against the database directly. Something like:
UPDATE RSC_RESOURCES SET VISIBLE_USER_DATAx = 'New Visible Value' WHERE USER_DATAx = 'CODE_VALUE';
Then you can run one of these for each of the visible values that changed. If you do go this route, don't forget to commit the changes and then flush the PPM Server Cache afterward.
Thanks Jason. The direct update statement is what we had to do, versus opening and resaving all the changes resource values individually (which is overly tedious as you mentioneD).