Schedule Work Plan returns Error/Warning and stops rescheduling
Does anyone know what is causing the last scheudling error (2) below; and how to get rid of it?
We are getting the following when trying to re-Schedule our PPM Work Plan, and can't figure out why -- but the re-schedule didn't work as the scheduled dates are obviously wrong (i.e., have not all been updated per the schedule).
"Some parts of the work plan could not be scheduled without violating constraints. Please review the list of problems below and correct them if needed. "
Only 2 "Warnings" are displayed, and only on a couple Summary Tasks (i.e., no errors were displayed for detailed/leaf tasks. The only Warnings displayed are:
1) "The start date defined for this workplan (Jun 20, 2016) is earlier than the Start Period for this project (Jul 1, 2016). You should amend the work plan information or extend the project dates."
The above warning is correct that the dates in the project are later, but PPM does not allow us to update the Project Details Scheduled Start Date to an earlier time (i.e., it is grayed out). The Work Plan dates are accurate.
2) "A schedule change to a child task made by a summary task owner has changed the dates of this task"
Does anyone know what causes the above Schedule Warning in PPM, and how to get rid of it?
We have a 200+ work plan in PPM that uses Finish-to-Finish dependencies. The dependencies are tied to 8 key milestones which have constraint dates.
The work plan has a number of actuals (tasks completed & cancelled) tasks.
It also has a few hours logged via Time Sheets at a summary task level. That summary task does not display any warnings/errors.
We need to be able to reschedule this work plan based on the key milestone dates, but PPM is stopping short of completing the rescheduling.
For this kind of warnings and problems I always recommend open a new case with support team, because the issue can be produced by multiple configurations.
Its important specifiy the overview about what you would like to change.
- Screenshots of the Projects settings,
- Export the project by MSP and share it
- Screenshots of the warnings
I've had similar problems in the past.
The Planned Start and End Periods on the Project Details tab should be editable. Check your field level security to see if you have access to update the fields and the status dependencies to see if they are set to read-only based on the workflow status.
Here are some things to look at the tasks themselves that we have experienced in causing problems:
- Make sure that the task name wasn't copied from Word and contains bullets. Often when this is done PPM doesn't like the tab characters between the bullet and the first word.
- Make sure that none of the tasks contain a semi-colon ';'. A semi-colon is used when there are multiple predecessors on a task. If the task name contains a semi-colon and is used as an external predecessor it will cause problems.
- Summary tasks shouldn't have any time directly recorded to it. A Summary Task is just that a summary of all the tasks below it. Try making the summary task a normal task and then making it a summary task again or adding a new summary task above it.
- You might want to try to export it to MSP by opening it via the Plug-In and not from within the work plan itself. If there is a problem, MSP might flag it as an error as well.
- Check the server log to see if any exceptions are being thrown.
- Also, don't use the max number of tasks, 500, to be viewed at once. It does slow down the saving of work plans. Try setting it at 100 and not more than 200.
Hope this helps!