MIF Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Schedule project resources manually

Hi Fellows,

One of my potential customers wants a specific feature that already exists in Microsoft Project. That is to schedule resources manually. As far as I know, PPM make assignments to resources by dividing total effort to working days and distribute effort evenly. 

So is there a way/workaround to schedule resources manually? E.g. Tom will work for this project task only in mondays and tuesdays. So instead of scheduling 10 hours effort for a 5 days duration like {2,2,2,2,2} PPM must schedule like {5,5,0,0,0}. Or at least schedule resources manually as the subject says.

Any ideas?

--Remember to give Kudos if you like the solution.

Murat Akbar
MIF Software & Consultancy - Istanbul
http://www.mif.com.tr
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Schedule project resources manually

Hi Murat,

There's no way or built-in workaround to do that in PPM that I know of. My typical answer to users wanting to do resource leveling is to do it in MS Project and use integration in Shared Controlled mode.

Thanks,
Etienne.
0 Likes
MIF Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for your comment. I should double check but as far as I remember PPM doesn't import task usage but imports only scheduled dates from MSP. Even after manual scheduling of resources and import, PPM again distributes effort evenly.

--Remember to give Kudos if you like the solution.

Murat Akbar
MIF Software & Consultancy - Istanbul
http://www.mif.com.tr
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You're correct, daily effort information is only available in MS Project and cannot be synched to PPM for the simple reason that PPM can't store work plan task effort at the daily level. Only the same info as available in the work plan task details is available in PPM DB: [actual/scheduled] start date, [actual/scheduled] end date, scheduled effort, actual effort, remaining effort, percent complete. There's no way to store daily effort at the work plan level.

Eventually you can store actuals at the day level by using timesheet, but that only applies to (timesheet) actuals and not to work plan actuals or scheduled effort. 

Resources Forecast allocations in the staffing profile are stored at the day level, but that only applies to forecast allocations, and since it's from the staffing profile it relates a resource to a position, not a work plan task - except eventually if the position was created from a task ; but in that case the relation with the task is implicit and resource allocation to the position will not automatically assign the resource to the task. We do have an ER opened about this one though - but even when we'll eventually implement it, we will only sync the resource assignment & total scheduled effort from the position to the task, we don't have plans to add support for daily effort breakdown at the work plan task level. 

Thanks,

Etienne.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.