Highlighted
MaxH Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Sorting Planned Start and Planned Finish Dates

Jump to solution

Over the last 5 years, we have been attempting to find a way to sort Planned Start and Planned Finish Dates in a portlet.  There have been a multitude of Enhancement Requests created for this specific functionality and the continuing story from HP is that it will remain open and implemented in a "future release"; however, this has been the stance for almost eight (8) years (based on conversations with Technical Support personnel).

Can anyone provide code that will perform this functionality if the Planned Start and Planned dates are included in a portlet on a dashboard?  Ideally, either column could be sorted.  Thanks.

Max

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Sorting Planned Start and Planned Finish Dates

Jump to solution

Hi Max,

The reason behind the fact that portlets can't be properly sorted by Planned Start Date and Planned Finish Date is that these are actually not dates, these are fiscal periods. As such, the name  of the fiscal period is displayed in the column, and if we sort this column, it will be sorted by text value (i.e. alphabetically), not date value.

But I'm sure you already know that, right?

So the only way to workaround this limitation is to add a new column to your dashboard portlet (we're talking custom portlets, right?) that contains the start date of the fiscal period. And here we're talking about a real date field, not a text. 

By sorting the list using this date column, the portlet will be sorted in an equivalent order than the fiscal period column, since the dates are "equivalent". Of course, you have the mild inconvenience to show an extra column with the date value, but hopefully that shouldn't be a blocking issue.

Now, the problem is different if you are using out-of-the-box Java portlets and that you cannot add a new column. The only alternative in that case is to create a custom list portlet containing the same information, and add the date column. 

If that is the case for you, just for the sake of curiosity, could you share the names of the built-in java portlets for which you cannot add a new column and where you have this sorting issue with fiscal periods columns?

Thanks,

Etienne.

3 Replies
CGut Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Max, 

From PPM support side, do not have the code about this functionality. I can see that there are multiple enhancement requests asking for this feature, RnD has flagged the Change Request as a Dashboard design limitation. Reason behind that was that the planned start and finish dates are considered periods and not real dates. There are no plans to implement this so far.

Best Regards, 

Carolina. 

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Max,

The reason behind the fact that portlets can't be properly sorted by Planned Start Date and Planned Finish Date is that these are actually not dates, these are fiscal periods. As such, the name  of the fiscal period is displayed in the column, and if we sort this column, it will be sorted by text value (i.e. alphabetically), not date value.

But I'm sure you already know that, right?

So the only way to workaround this limitation is to add a new column to your dashboard portlet (we're talking custom portlets, right?) that contains the start date of the fiscal period. And here we're talking about a real date field, not a text. 

By sorting the list using this date column, the portlet will be sorted in an equivalent order than the fiscal period column, since the dates are "equivalent". Of course, you have the mild inconvenience to show an extra column with the date value, but hopefully that shouldn't be a blocking issue.

Now, the problem is different if you are using out-of-the-box Java portlets and that you cannot add a new column. The only alternative in that case is to create a custom list portlet containing the same information, and add the date column. 

If that is the case for you, just for the sake of curiosity, could you share the names of the built-in java portlets for which you cannot add a new column and where you have this sorting issue with fiscal periods columns?

Thanks,

Etienne.

MaxH Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response Etienne.  You are correct in your assumption that I am talking about the out of the box portlets.  I had already in the past constructed custom portlets where I added a date field and called it Planned Start and/or Planned Finish so that we could sort on nthe date(s). 

The issue is the OOTB portlets.  for instance, on the "Projects Schedule List" portlet, there is no way to sort the projects based on the Planned Start or Planned Finish date(s).  Basically any OOTB portlet that includes these two fields.

thanks.

Max

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.