Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Suggestion Needed: Multi-Node or Upgrade First ?

Jump to solution

Greetings !

I am currenlty exploring 9.2 upgrade + QC integration  & Multi-Node setup Projects, probably within weeks of separation, for our PPM instances here.  Since I had never done a multi-node configuration myself before I wanted to see if anyone of you have any suggestion on which would be better order to do it.

Here are some details:

--- We are currenlty on PPMC 9.14.0005 on a Single Node architecture. 

--- We have extensive Demand & Deployment mgmt related customizations and are very big user of PPM's Object Migrator & Oracle Deployment Mgmt extensions .

--- Recenlty we also have inceasing global use of Project, Portfolio & Time mgmt modules.

--- Deployment probably still remains the most critical one.

So, Would the upgrade be easier on a single node ?   I would really appreciate Any kind of input I can get.

Thanks in advane !

-Raj

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: Suggestion Needed: Multi-Node or Upgrade First ?

Jump to solution

I have not done an upgrade to 9.2 but we have done several upgrades since we started running two nodes. I would suggest doing the upgrade first as it will be simpler with just a single node. Converting to multiple nodes will require the same amount of work whether you do it on 9.1 or 9.2. Of course, this assumes a single node will meet your needs while you prepare for the upgrade. Also, you need to fully test both changes in a non-production instance before changing production.

In 9.1, the nodes in a cluster communicate with multicast. I assume this is still the case with 9.2. Multicast support usually requires network changes so this needs to be in place before switching to a cluster configuration.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

I have not done an upgrade to 9.2 but we have done several upgrades since we started running two nodes. I would suggest doing the upgrade first as it will be simpler with just a single node. Converting to multiple nodes will require the same amount of work whether you do it on 9.1 or 9.2. Of course, this assumes a single node will meet your needs while you prepare for the upgrade. Also, you need to fully test both changes in a non-production instance before changing production.

In 9.1, the nodes in a cluster communicate with multicast. I assume this is still the case with 9.2. Multicast support usually requires network changes so this needs to be in place before switching to a cluster configuration.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Great ! Close enough to what I was thinking. You really confirmed it...Thanks a Lot for your Input Jim. I really appreciate it !!
- Raj
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hi, Raj

So far I have about four upgrades, including cluster setup.

Just proceed and we will be here to help you.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.