gjmurphy
New Member.

Tomcat Manager in PPM9.3x?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Has anyone managed to activate the tomcat manager with PPM 9.3x?  What additional configuration is require?

greetings,

gerry.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Tomcat Manager in PPM9.3x?

Jump to solution

Hi Gerry,

You won't find this documented in PPM, as PPM is packaged as a black-box java application where the underlying app server shouldn't matter (or at least that's the theory).

In PPM, we're trying to hide away the specific App Server configuration behind the server.conf parameters and the k*.sh commands, so that we can replace the App Server whenever we need to and not break anything in your PPM application. That's what we did for example in PPM 9.30, when JBoss was replaced by Tomcat7.

I understand why you would want to access the Tomcat Manager and monitor/deploy more apps on your PPM Server ; however, if you were to do so (or change the core configuration of Tomcat without going through server.conf + kUpdateHtml.sh), we couldn't guarantee that everything will work fine upon your next upgrade - so that's why it's not documented/supported and HPE highly discourages you doing so.

That being said, if you still want to try and do it, you should head to Tomcat 7 documentation for more info, not PPM documentation (start with https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Introduction , but as far as I know the Tomcat Manager files have been removed from the PPM bundled Tomcat installation, so you'll need to add them). Also, if you want to make changes to Tomcat's "server.xml" file, these changes will be overwritten every time you'll run "kUpdateHtml.sh". In order to avoid that, you should make your changes to <PPM_HOME>/conf/jboss/server.xsl, which is used to generate Tomcat's server.xml every time you run kUpdateHtml.sh. This xsl file might be overwritten on every PPM upgrade, but that's still better than changing server.xml directly. 

I won't give any more tips here, I don't want to look like I'm encouraging you to do unsupported things with your PPM instance 🙂

Cheers,

Etienne.

3 Replies
Daniela_G Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello,

I hope you are doing great,

Regarding to this configuration you can check the Installation Admin Guide attached on page 107, there you will find the requirements for this kind of installations.

Please check it out.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Daniela Gómez Alvarado
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
gjmurphy
New Member.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, but I checked the docs before posting and didn't find any references to the Tomcat Manager.

The latest Installation and Administration Guide that I could find for PPM 9.3x is the 3rd edition from November 2014 (PPM9.30_InstallationAdmin_3rdEd.pdf).  There page 107 details the installation of SSL certficates.

However, "Accessing the JMX Console" is documented on page 120 and appears to still work with Tomcat.  I'll have a look to see what monitoring activities we can perform with it.

Thanks & greetings,
gerry.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Gerry,

You won't find this documented in PPM, as PPM is packaged as a black-box java application where the underlying app server shouldn't matter (or at least that's the theory).

In PPM, we're trying to hide away the specific App Server configuration behind the server.conf parameters and the k*.sh commands, so that we can replace the App Server whenever we need to and not break anything in your PPM application. That's what we did for example in PPM 9.30, when JBoss was replaced by Tomcat7.

I understand why you would want to access the Tomcat Manager and monitor/deploy more apps on your PPM Server ; however, if you were to do so (or change the core configuration of Tomcat without going through server.conf + kUpdateHtml.sh), we couldn't guarantee that everything will work fine upon your next upgrade - so that's why it's not documented/supported and HPE highly discourages you doing so.

That being said, if you still want to try and do it, you should head to Tomcat 7 documentation for more info, not PPM documentation (start with https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Introduction , but as far as I know the Tomcat Manager files have been removed from the PPM bundled Tomcat installation, so you'll need to add them). Also, if you want to make changes to Tomcat's "server.xml" file, these changes will be overwritten every time you'll run "kUpdateHtml.sh". In order to avoid that, you should make your changes to <PPM_HOME>/conf/jboss/server.xsl, which is used to generate Tomcat's server.xml every time you run kUpdateHtml.sh. This xsl file might be overwritten on every PPM upgrade, but that's still better than changing server.xml directly. 

I won't give any more tips here, I don't want to look like I'm encouraging you to do unsupported things with your PPM instance 🙂

Cheers,

Etienne.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.