Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Unable to open browser from Workbench

Jump to solution

In workbench I have set my default browser as IE.  When in Deployment Mgmt and attempting to view the exection log or editing a request type layout and attempting to preview the layout I get the following message.

The default browser you entered (C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe) is not valid or will not run. Please open the User Profiles dialog and select a new Default Browser from the General tab.

We have 2 instances of PPM (V8 & V9.21).  This occurs in both.  Other users do not have this problem so it is definitely a problem with my PC.  I have IE8 installed.  I have both JRE 1.7.45 and 1.7.25 installed.  I have enabled each individually with no change.

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

It turns out that the solution was not the Java version, but I had to re-create my Windows user profile.  I could log in to a different PC and this function worked fine.  We finally renamed my user folder and I logged back in, recreating the profile.  Now I just have to get everything set back up.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Simple open the Workbench->Edit (Menu) -> User Profile -> and select the Internet Explore.exe file path in the Deafult Browser field. (you put any other browser path as well).

Below is the snippet.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

That was already done.  In fact I have tried both IE and Chrome.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I am having this same issue. My default browser id defined as well.  Can you remember what you were able to do to fix this?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Found resolution somewhere else,  Do not use option open workbench on desktop, use regular open workbench

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

I found this in HP portal, hope it helps to resolve the issue

Customer symptom

PPM Workbench (v8.01 w/ JRE 1.7.0_21) failed to open a package execution log: 

"The default browser you entered (C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe) is not valid or will not run. Please open the User Profiles dialog and select a new Default Browser."

Workaround

use JRE 1.7.0 Update 17 for WB opening.
Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

It turns out that the solution was not the Java version, but I had to re-create my Windows user profile.  I could log in to a different PC and this function worked fine.  We finally renamed my user folder and I logged back in, recreating the profile.  Now I just have to get everything set back up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member..

This might be a bit old but I had the same issue today and noticed that if you use the little page icon to browse for the default browser, PPM puts it without quotes and thus generates the error (this is what happened in my case)

I added the quotes to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and it worked fine.

Hope this helps!

Mig

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Brilliant!!! This simple solution resolved the issue for me. Many thanks!!
Tags (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.